SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

need sympathy: leaving my garden behind

chris_ont
17 years ago

Please comiserate with me :(

While I'm super-excited to be moving this month into a new home in a much better neighborhood, I am going to miss my garden like mad. After five years here, it's just now hitting its stride. The new place is JUST GRASS right now.

I look forward to the new project - while a cottage garden is never really "finished", my ideas for this "old" place have sort of run out and I'm mostly moving stuff around now. But leaving this behind is just sad.

I put "some perennials" as exclusions on the sales contract for the house and have moved pieces of my favourites (becky, lorraine sunshine, some rare hostas, bugbane etc) to friends' places until I can get settled. But of course that's just a drop in the bucket. (and WHAT is with the price of bugbane (brunette), anyway??? $22 for a 6-inch pot!)

But I digress... :) This morning I saw my butterfly delphinium in bloom, right next to a glorious patch of coreopsis baby sun. Both easily replaced, but what a show at their height of maturity!

And the foot-long stick of a butterfly weed tuber that I planted 3 years ago has finally come out in all its glory (see below).

I planted that little tree (little leaf linden) on Earth Day two years ago. I'll miss it, but not the weedy driveway ("cosmetic" herbicides are now illegal in this town, yay!!)

I have the feeling I'll be spending a lot of time in the "cottage garden" and "shade garden" forums in the next few months. I guess on the upside, I won't be repeating the mistakes I made with this garden. Famous last words...

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting