SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danab_z9_la

Improving the taste of LSU Gold

danab_z9_la
13 years ago

Last year I found that my LSU Gold figs improved in taste as I stored them in the refrigerator within a plastic clam shell type container.....the kind used by the supermarkets for strawberries and blackberries. The reason the figs improved in taste is because the skin of the LSU Gold fig allows moisture to easily evaporate from within the fig. This loss of moisture increases both the sugar and flavor of the fig.

I am happy to report that by keeping LSU Gold figs on the counter for several days (week) these figs SIGNIFICANTLY improve in both sweetness and FLAVOR. As they sit on the counter you will see these large figs shrink and the skin get wrinkled as it dries. The color will go from yellow to mottled brown to nearly brown. The figs become rather soft and you can feel the jelly inside. At that point they become super sweet and have an EXCELLENT flavor. The interior gets thick and jammy.

I love eating my LSU Gold figs in this manner. Those of you growing this fig should give this a try and experience this great taste sensation for yourself.

Dan

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County