SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texan151

Belleclare's Sal's fig search

texan151
15 years ago

I'd like to acquire a rooted cutting. Anyone who would be willing to part with a small tree please reply...I have money?;-)

Comments (36)

• loslunasfarms
    15 years ago

You seem to pick the most hardest to find. There is one for sale on ebay. They are not cheap so if you find someone on the forum willing to sell one please keep in mind that you cant find this anywhere else therefore it should command much more than Homedepot prices. Good Luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=330244797642&Category=42353&_trksid=p3907.m29

• loslunasfarms
    15 years ago

I would also contact www.figs4fun.com they have a wealth of info there and many different varieties. Good luck!

• Related Discussions

Belleclare figs....

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks! If anyone else sees anything they'd like to have in exchange for something you think I would like to have, please don't hesitate to ask! I'd rather have as many different kinds as I can - otherwise I'm just going to start giving them away locally. I'm moving soon and can't possibly take ALL these with me, (only one of each kind - not three). So I'm still looking for ANYONE with any of the Bellclare figs. I'd really like to try and get some of those huge Italian and Greek figs! :) ~ Erin
    ...See More

Sal's Fig

Q

Comments (6)
    There are two varieties that go by the name of Sal's, and both were sold by Belleclare's. I have one of them (tho mine came originally from Edible Landscaping in VA). It's a large tree and I always have to trim it back in the fall. So I'd would be happy to share some cuttings with you then.
    ...See More

Where can I order Sal's Fig?

Q

Comments (35)
    It Is a beautifull Strawberry red. Can't post a picture now because just yestarday my dogs ate last eight ripe in one shot.I am very mad about it It was now you see it now you don't,all gone.The tree is completelly green now. I think they developed a desire to eat ripe figs. The only good thing about it is that they only eat the good tasting varieties.And this way if it is not hanging there it was good tasting yesterday.!!!!!!!!!. I have a huge beautifull Italian everbearing,that has a lot of huge ripe figs and they do not touch it .When i tasted it it was mediocre sweet wit very few flavor.So i know now i only make jam out of it.It is yhe same as Guilbeau. Regards
    ...See More

Sal's#2Corleone from Belleclare,has split.

Q

Comments (8)
    Well Antonio:It Has another fruit,close to get ripe,so i will watch that one too.If it split,also,then that mean it was not an accident.Ispecially if we get another little rain soon then i will know for sure. Also if someone else have the same experience,then i will have no doubt about it. In your case if you had a handfull of fruits and they all split,then it will not improve next year because ,next year we expect a lot more rain than this one. This year was a very dry year here where i live ,with less than a quarter inches of rain every month this Sommer. It will take a lot of yrs. to have another Sommer as dry as this. So if a fig is Splitting now it will not improve next Sommer. If it tastes very good and Flavorfull even if split,i will give it another Chance. I will also do some work,like moving it on a higher spot,or Building a Mound around the tree,and installing a water barrier,. If you do not modify the growing conditions,it will not improve. Best Regards
    ...See More
  • texan151
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your wishes of luck! I will only be able to grow ONE fig tree, so I think I should go with a good one. I know Home Depot prices are out, ain't skeered...BUT I do have "heartburn" with plant purchases on EBay... Still lookin' in Texas....

• User
    15 years ago

Try One of the fig collectors on this Forum.
    I think Mountainman is in Texas with a nice collection.

• mrhappy
    15 years ago

Is the Sal's seller on ebay a GWFF member? I emailed the seller and did not get a response. I would be interested in the various figs there if I knew the seller wasn't just puttin names on commonly available figs.

• loslunasfarms
    15 years ago

Guys, read the descriptions and you will see that this person knows about the trees. Yes, I know this person and the varieties are true.

• User
    15 years ago

I have seen the E bay store you guys are talking about.
    All trees are exactly what the seller say they are.
    I have no doubt this guy is one of our Garden web Member,that grow the figs Himself.
    This guy has 100 percent satisfaction rating.
    Absolute impressive Record.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.
    This is my H.O.

• chills71
    15 years ago

I was sure it was someone I recognized. I haven't heard of some of the varieties he's offering, though.

But then again, in comparison to many of you, I'm barely a fig collector.

I will admit to watching one of the auctions, though.

~Chills

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

herman,
    do you have the real belleclare sal's fig?

• User
    15 years ago

Yes,I have a small one but ,too small to get cuttings out of it.
    I am not the guy,who sell this tree,I just can see he is a person with experience,and perfect record selling on the Ebay.
    Check it for yourself.
    Best regards

• hlyell
    15 years ago

Since this thread started a second "Belleclare Sal's" has appeared on ebay. Everyone should know this seller is the infamous "Zergas", "Zerganator666", and several other aliases. He conned, cheated and stole cuttings from people here at this forum (arranging trades, getting your cuttings, never sending anything in return, then ignoring your emails). He changed his ebay name to the MIfigs4fun after he was exposed here on this forum. Therefore, buyer VERY much beware!

With regard to the one on ebay that was first mentioned in this thread...I don't know why everyone is beating around the bush about who the seller is, but I guess I'll do the same and simply say that he is a regular contributor here and that you can take his figs "to the bank" with regard to authenticity - no worry there.

• loslunasfarms
    15 years ago

Well said hlyell. I would take his figs to the bank anyday!

I think I enjoy the anonymity of the internet otherwise I would use my real name...

• chills71
    15 years ago

Looks like Texan151 won the fig I was bidding on.

~Chills

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    15 years ago

Why is Sals fig so valued? I have read a lot about Sals fig and, so far, I don't understand why it is so requested.
    As far as I know, it is a good variety, but maybe it is a bit overvalued.
    If you are a fig collector, ok, but if you only search a good variety I think is easier to acquire other more common and good varieties.

• alb419_ny
    15 years ago

Axier,there are better tasting figs then Sal`s fig,but this fig does good in the northeast, here in the States,so is a good fig to have.Ciao
    Giuseppe

• figsin7b
    15 years ago

I'm confused here....
    Is this guy legit or not? (Ebay name) gnsjm2003( 319)
    The perfect selling record looks good to me.

• texan151
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chills, sorry man, I HATE when I win on eBay...it means I have to PAY MONEY!! ARGH !!!...but NEwayz....once I get this thing established, I'd be delighted to send ya a few cuttings for the big ZERO....no worries there... Seems like a lot of valuable info out here...great resource!!

• hlyell
    15 years ago

figsin7b,

I don't mean to insult you, but I don't see how you are confused if you have read all the posts (in order), but gnsjm2003 is SOLID GOLD.

Cheers

• hlyell
    15 years ago

Jon,

Regarding the "sought after" status of Belleclare Sal's...as someone already mentioned - this fig does very well in the Northeast - in both a cold and wet climate. I can also report that it does extremely well here in the deep South (hot and wet). A few months ago I spoke with a guy who lives very near the gulf coast here in Mississippi. About 15 yrs. ago he was an avid fig collector. Over the years he culled his collection down to around 15 varieties - all growing in his orchard. Throughout his collecting (and at the end) this was his favorite fig. It tasted great, performed as good or better in our climate than any other varitey he trialed, and was the easiest fig to sell (he sells in open markets and to exclusive restaurants along the Mississippi gulf coast and in New Orleans). Combine this virtually universal good performance, appearance and taste with no longer being commercially available, and I think you have the recipe for the high prices some are willing to pay for it.

• texan151
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S. Chills, which fig was it that you wanted? I "won" 2...LSU purple (which looks pretty common) and a Dark Portuguese. I'm guessing the latter is the one you were bidding on as well? I think I read somewhere where the D.P. is "the same genetically" as Sal's...but I don't want to get a REP/DEM debate going on this one...hehe. Looks like UCD may have had a "different" source sample than the Belleclare's Sal's.

I am just starting the FIG thing this year. A guy at work turned me on to them...he swears buy them so I thought I give a few ethnic/LSU varieties a try....see how it goes.

I'm in Texas, so if they are too hard to grow...look for me on eBay!!....OoOoooOoooOooOoOoO...

G'DAY MATES!!!

• palmfan
    15 years ago

Is there a significant difference between the EL Sal's Fig and the Belleclare's Sal's? Min, originally from Herman via another nice guy on this forum is now popping a few main crop figs! I am hoping the "naked" nodes will set brebas next spring. Is Sal's prolific with brebas?

• chills71
    15 years ago

Palmfan....that's a great question. Hopefully one or more of the members can help us with that.

Figsin7b....we were all so skillfully not giving anything away. spoil-sport.

~Chills

• figsin7b
    15 years ago

So, why all the secrecy? Some here like me questioned the source of the fig. The seller posts the same thing on Ebay yesterday that he posted on this forum when he got the fig and I found it. I too could have kept it to myself but I decide to clear up all concern and post my discovery here.
    I was going to bid on the fig and it would have been better for me not to remove all concern over its source. Had I won I would have probably traded cuttings here on the forum.....and tried to sell some plants on Ebay just like he was doing. I see nothing wrong with that. He pulled all his figs from Ebay and sold the Chinese fig to the high bidder and from what I can tell no one got the Sals fig. I just don't understand.....

Cheers"
    I sware I cut and pasted the Ebay link 2 times and it did not work for me. Later it did work and what was posted above made more sense to me.

"figsin7b....what did you go and do that for? "
    "Figsin7b....we were all so skillfully not giving anything away. spoil-sport.

~Chills"

Maybe I should not bother with this forum anymore.
    I don't seem to fit in.

Sorry for stopping the sale.

• fignut
    15 years ago

figsin7b, I hope you don't withdraw from the forum over this. But I don't think you understand that the person involved wanted to remain anonymous for his own reasons. We all were curious (and able to figure out who it was), but I think his wishes should have been respected.
    Please do not take the (rather mild) criticism to heart. You are a fig lover and definitely "fit in".

• chills71
    15 years ago

I meant no insult upon you, its just that the seller did not out himself, so we kept his anonyminity (but it was fun suspecting who it was without it becoming common knowledge).

His own silence in this thread made me content in my own suspicions.

Don't feel you have to go, and if my postings are the ones which made you feel as though you should leave, accept my apology for whatever offense you perceived, none was intended.

As far as why he withdrew his auction (which I found curious yesterday as well), maybe a racoon got to his plant, or maybe he just changed his mind, unless he wants to give details we just may never know.

~Chills

• User
    15 years ago

Answer To Palmfun:
    The 2 Sal's are very different yet Both are excellent figs,in their own way.
    The UCDavis fig is similar to the one I have and you got cuttings from it.
    You will never regret having it.

• texan151
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So sorry to see the eBay listing end, that was a SWEET looking plant...someone really took care of that 'lil pup. I did put a bid on the OTHER Sal's fig BEFORE I read in this forum that this dude is a scammin' fool. I'd rather not deal with issue-ridden folk...too much stress...life is way too short! Thanks to all out here for the heads-up on that one.

NEwayz, I'll get one of those Sal's Corleone's one of these days. I just ordered a VIOLETTE DU BORDEAUX from Burnt Ridge nursery. $12.50 with 14 bucks for shipping.. (I normally don't like paying more for shipping than I do for the item itself...BUT, with the price of gas these dayz....) Now I'm lookin at a Black Madeira to round out my preliminary collection...

And Chills, if'n you'd like a clippin' of that DP, I'll send one as soon as I clip it...(might be a while tho) My email is texan151gmail.com. Lemmie know...

And if any of you cool cats see a REAL Sal's Corleone for sale from a reputable source....lemmie know as well...

Have a FANTASTIC Tuesday folks !!

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

It's obvious who the mystery ebay seller is, at least to me!

I think he has something in common with an auto maker?

Later
    Cecil

• chills71
    15 years ago

Texan151...I might just take you up on that offer. If so, I'll trade you for a cutting of one of mine (while I don't have either Sal's, I do have more than a dozen other varieties).

I just got VdB from Burnt Ridge this spring (I also got another one this spring as well, another VdB) and both seem to have mosaic, but as the weather has warmed (finally) they both seem to be putting on good growth that doesn't seem as bothered.

~Chills

• paully22
    15 years ago

Fully agree with Axier. Theres so many excellent figs available. My preference is large figs. I like the smaller ones too but the problem is not enough of them ripening at the same time to satisfy 3 people at home. The large ones like DK, Latterula, Elana, Large Greek Dark is very good & 2 or 3 of these is very satisfying. Just my 2cents.

• fignewby
    15 years ago

I recently purchased at e-bay auction the Wuhan fig from China,and cannot find any info on it. I also purchased a Verte, Kadota fig also from the same seller at the same auction June 22.

• palmfan
    15 years ago

A message for Herman (and Gene!): The Sal's I ascribed to Herman by mistake was actually originally a cutting from Gene of D.C. I guess I need to ask good "ole" Gene about the origin of his sal's, and whether or not it is a Sal's Corleone, or the same clone Herman has. Thanks! (I love to know the origin and history of my plants!)

• loslunasfarms
    15 years ago

From what I remember, Leon bought it gave it to Jon, Gene, and Herman. The mother plant is from Edible Landscaping, so it is not a Sals Corleone.

• hlyell
    15 years ago

figsin7b,

Nobody wants you to leave the forum, and I hope you don't do that. As several have already said it was obvious the seller wanted to remain anonymous, so you caught a little heat for not honoring that. It's no big deal. Just let it go and have fun with figs :)

• gene_washdc
    15 years ago

palmfan & loslunasfarms,
    Leon did give me a cutting from his Sal's, which had come via another collector from Ray Givan's tree. I gave this one away however when I found that Edible Landscaping had a larger, older plant for sale. Leon later lost his tree in a move and asked for cuttings from mine. He later varified that mine, although from a different source, was the same as what he'd had earlier. From time to time he asked for more cuttings to share, and these he passed on to Herman and Jon among others. Jon donated a cutting from his to UC-Davis. So your Sal's and the one at Davis are the EL version (although I understand BC also sold both versions of Sal's) -- and not the Sal's Corleone that many here are so eager to have. My own impression of Sal's (EL) is that it's similar to Hardy Chicago, but better production, size and flavor. I have the Sal's Corleone (came from the fabled E-Bay seller), but haven't tasted any figs from it yet.

• italiangirl74
    15 years ago

Leone sent me a young Sal's Corleone plant that he got from someone who purchased it at Belleclaire. I also had a Sal's from someone who got it from Gene that I gave to my uncle Sal. The Corleone and the Sal's from Gene are very different trees from a photo from my Uncle and the one Corleone Leone sent me from Belleclaire. Ciao

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals