SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

I cleaned out all my flowers beds...and WOW!

Annie
12 years ago

On Thursday and Friday and today, I cleaned out ALL my flowerbeds (well, almost all of them), and trimmed my irises into fans, and WOW! Everything looks as good as it did in the spring. I also found that watering was less of a task. It took less time and less water because only the flowers that needed the water, got the water. I yanked out all the Salvia (except my new little white ones) and cut back the plants that had grown tall and crowded everything else. I pulled out all the invasive Limelight Artemesia. I know there are a kazillion roots in the ground and it will likely come back up with a vengeance, but for now, it is gone. I pruned roses, some way back. I spread a little Black Kow compost and mulched. I "mulchy, mulch, mulched" both of the Ginger plants with the new mulch I bought. :)

After watering last night, and again today, in a much shorter time, I might add, everything perked up. This morning I saw that the newly transplanted Gardenias in the White Garden have already put on new leaves and they look like they are preparing to bloom. That is incredible! The new Sunshine rose has new bloom buds today. I moved the pot of the pink and white Guara over into the White Garden two days ago, and it has new growth at the bottom and new flowers forming. I even saw a new flower fluttering about in the breeze. Even in the pot, the Guara likes it's new home. Is that weird or what?

I kept the hens in their pen for three days while doing all this, fearing they would destroy all my work. But today I let them out to see what they would do, fearing the worst, and guess what? Without all the dead plant debris and the too many unwanted plants in the beds, the bugs, not having hiding places and rotting plants material to munch on, skedaddled, so the hens didn't scratch around. I don't think the bugs like the new mulch either.

Is it just the right phase of the moon, or did I do the right thing or what?

I'll try to post some before, during and after pictures if this dad gum computer will let me.

I am so pleased, and I have to say it, I am PROUD of myself! It was hard, hot, sweaty, itchy work, but I gotter done!

Comments (28)

Sponsored