SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svanessa_gw

Fig Documentation at Wolfskill (UCD) 2008

14 years ago

I have posted pictures online of Jon, Darcy, Harvey, Frank and I documenting the figs at UCD in Sept 2008.

There's a nice picture of the Black Ischia tree full of fruit...darn GOOD fruit too!

Fig Documentation

Sue

Comments (8)

• 14 years ago

Sue,
    many many thanks for posting the pictures and the "chart " which i will save.Oh im somewhat embarrased now to even put up a picture of my trees now after seeing those!
    I was very interested in ischia black and the madeira tree .
    Those 2 are nice and gives me hope in what i would like to do with those 2 types of fig plants.
    I must say Jon in 1 of those pictures looks like he is rubbing 1 foot and the 1 next to it looks like he ate his share of figs and started to dooze off!
    Just had to add that little pun ; )
    Again thanks so much for shareing those pictures i enjoyed them very much.
    One more thing if you do not mind answering when you have the time, what surprised you the most in your venture thru the grounds?

• 14 years ago

Martin - I've done a lot of things - but sleeping any where near a fig tree is definitely not one of them.

I just realized this week that I never got the pictures from this trip posted. I have them all ready, and loaded onto the server, but never put them in the galleries - so I started working on that last night. So, there should be about 500 new pix in about a week.

• 14 years ago

...One more thing if you do not mind answering when you have the time, what surprised you the most in your venture thru the grounds?...

I think what impressed me the most is the shear vastness of the orchards in general. There were orchards of walnut and other nut trees as large as the fig orchard shown, stone fruit in another area, pomegranates, grapes, etc. It seemed to go on for miles.

Just thinking that within these huge orchards most trees/plants were a unique cultivar blew my mind. Amazing!

Sue

• 14 years ago

Sue, Thanks for posting the pictures and chart. Looks like figgy heaven.
    I'm confused by the chart. Does a flat line near varieties mean they are considered the same genetically or just very closely related? For example are Abruzzi, Sals and Dark Portuguese considered the same fig?
    What is the Bootstrap Tree refered to in the last frame?

• 14 years ago

fignut,

It's my understanding that is what the flat line means but Jon may know more about the chart. The Abruzzi, Sals, and DP had the same genetic code on the gene sites tested. It may just be luck that they matched on these 20+ tested locations. They may or may not have other gene sites that differ. I don't know and I don't think UCD can be 100% sure either. I have the Abruzzi and Sals and will be comparing them over the next couple of years. My DP cuttings didn't make it.

I'll check the pictures I took of the genetic tree to see if I have the other half of the page. I was concentrating on just the genetic tree when posting the pictures. Again, Jon may have this info if I don't.

Figgy nirvana for sure!

Sue

• 14 years ago

Sue, thanks for those delicious pic's on Blk Ischia. Looking at the size of those ripe BI, I am convinced that I need to give my stubborn BI some I special attention. It hardly had any growth & I was wishing it would croaked.

• 14 years ago

Thanks, Sue. It makes sense that they would only check a small number of genes. Maybe when the technology is cheaper to use, the whole genome will be mapped for each fig.
    So, at this point, even if a fig comes up "identical" to another fig, it still may be different at other (unchecked) genes. If I understand it correctly, until there is a complete map, the best we can say with this information is that Dark Portuguese is very closely related to Sals, and MAY be identical.

• 14 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures and DNA chart, Sue. I found it interesting that some figs that are supposed to be especially good tasting (Ischia Black/Barnisotte, Col de Dame/Black Madeira) are so closely linked genetically.
    Scott