SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
origin374

Figs in Ohio

Origin374
11 years ago

Hello all,

In a post on another, older thread there is a reference to "Hurt's Nursery" in Medina, OH as a source of figs. It took some doing but I found finally that it's actually "Hirt's Gardens." They're in the 4900 block of Ridge Rd (Rte 94) about a quarter mile north of Rte 18.

They had a very good supply of 3 or 4 inch pots of Black Mission, Brown Turkey and Chicago Hardy figs. I was so thrilled I didn't bother to look behind me. One of the staff there showed me a nice selection of much larger Black Mission and Italian figs. All I had to do was turn around.

Also, Dayton's Nursery on Cleveland Massilion Rd in Norton started carrying Chicago Hardy last year. They have a pretty good supply.

I now have 7 Chicagos in ground which have survived one winter, two more in pots (which, after overwintering in the garage began producing foliage a full month earlier than those in ground); and today I'm potting up a Black Mission, a Brown Turkey and a really nice Italian.

The Chicagos I have in-ground haven't required much attention at all, though I've given them a good soaking this week in anticipation of the heat. The ones in pots do well over winter, but they really require some attention now in the face of no rain and high temperatures. Some leaves have yellowed and dropped. But, they're already producing figs.

I'll let you know what happens!

John

Comments (22)