SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ottawan_z5a

I need your suggestions for a greenhouse like structure

ottawan_z5a
15 years ago

I am in Zone 5 and wish to build a greenhouse like structure for summer use only for ripening figs before the frost. This will not only extend the season by couple of weeks on each end of the growing season but also keep the temperatures high for increased total heat for the growing season. The greenhouse will be basically built with 2x4s and a plastic/tarp enclosure and nothing too fancy. It will be attached to the south side wall of the garage (with 3ft x 18ft available foot-print). The greenhouse like structure will have potted plants with pots half buried. I have a few questions before I proceed:

1. How high should it be? I am thinking of a slopping top (for easy water flow during rain) with 7 ft on the garage wall side (back) and 6 ft high away from the garage wall (front). Is this too high or too low considering zone 5 regarding growth patterns?

2. Which tarp colour is better for the top? I am thinking of using tarp on the slopping top and clear plastic for vertical sides (may be with shade cloth for the few very hot summer days). In one of the thread I read (but forgot) about the efficiency of the tarp colour indicating a specific colour (blue or green) tarp good for plants because of the penetrating light. Which tarp colour is better for the top?

3. I need some openings for heat escape to avoid making it an oven. Will opening on top be enough or do I need on both top and bottom? Will too much circulation not kill the purpose of heat trapping?

4. The moisture will get trapped along with the heat (& some will move out through the opening). Will the humidity level in such a structure be bad for the quality of the ripe figs (since I read in many threads that moisture is bad for ripening figs)?

5. Any other suggestions (such as keeping lots of water bottles inside for heat storage) or any precautions that I need to know for the fig growth, health and fruit quality etc.

I will appreciate your input/suggestions. Thanking you in anticipation.

Comments (4)