SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Roses In a Cottage Garden (8 pictures)

newyorkrita
15 years ago

{{gwi:257941}}

This is section of my front yard planted with shrub roses last spring. The first project was the block wall and then the roses went in. What a difference a year makes as they are just starting the spring bloom and look so good.

Just further down from the rose section is a daylily section that you can see and that will bloom in July. Also on the trellis are some honeysuckles vines which I also planted last summer so they still need to fill in some.

{{gwi:705203}}

This is a section further down and looking back at the shub rose section. The roses here are mostly Florabundas. Way in the back at the top, you can see my blackberries in bloom with their little white flowers. I actually like the looks of them in bloom and the flowers but love the large yummy fruit :-))

{{gwi:705205}}

The other side of my front yard. It doesn't have as many roses. The rose way off at the end is BeBop, another floribunda. There is also a row of roses along in the mid section in front of the Lilacs just starting to bloom. You can see a red single. In front of those roses is a row of groups of Asiatic and Oriental Lilies which will be really nice when they bloom in a while. Just to the right are another grouping of daylilies and there are daylilies which you might be able to make out way down the end in front of that BeBop rose. Told you this was very cottage garden.

I moved those roses in the mid section, a row of six, this spring from other areas of the yard and then dug a big trench in front of them and planted the Lily Bulbs.

{{gwi:288245}}

Close Up of BeBop

{{gwi:705208}}

Cherry Sunblaze Mini blooms till a hard freeze stops it.

{{gwi:705210}}

Double Knockout. I really like it. Blooms all the time.

{{gwi:705212}}

Black Cherry, another florabunda starting to bloom. Another favorite of mine.

{{gwi:705215}}

Closeup of Black Cherry

Comments (28)

• gardengirl_17
    15 years ago

Wow, it's stunning! I love the way you have everything all mixed together in such a great tapestry of color! Since I have rose envy I always like to ask what people do to avoid Blackspot. I'm collecting information in case I'm ever brave enough again to plant something other than a Knockout Rose or my New Dawn climbers. ;) Also, what is it in particular that makes floribundas your favorites? Just curious. Thanks!

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Rita, your flowers are beautiful. Wish I could grow roses like that. I'm only brave enough to try the knockouts. I just put in one of the double knockouts. I love it.

In your 3rd picture ~ did you build that fabulous stone retaining wall? When those Daylilies, Asiatic and Oriental Lilies bloom that garden space will be breathtaking. What do you have planted at the edge of wall?

Please post more pictures as things bloom.
    Vikki

• Related Discussions

Last Weeks Pictures from my Cottage Garden

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks. Doing that Stocktank pond inground was one of my better ideas. It really was a very big project, more work than I had initially immagined but I am extra pleased with the results. Yesterday I saw a frog sitting in the water hyacinths in the floating ring.
    ...See More

Yesterdays Pictures from My Cottage Garden

Q

Comments (15)
    I went and picked out that stone myself at the stone place. They had so many different kinds but thats the one I really like. The terraces gardens I worked on some again this spring. Put annuals in as I did last year on the first terrance and those nasturtiums again on terrace three. They grow and spill down the wall and it looks so pretty. I also had to re-order and plant new hummingbird mints in that terrace because last years died overwinter. My fault really as I put lots of leaves over them in the fall as mulch and those packed down wet leaves kept them wet overwinter which is a no no. They need excellent drainage. Will not be doing that again. Then I had to dig up and move all the last row of daylilies in terrace two, the ones up against the wall that the nasturtiums hang down. It really was poor planning on my part as I didn't think of the obvious, which is that they shaded that last row of daylilies. So I filled in more of the middle section in that terrace mostly with the moved plants.
    ...See More

Cottage garden rose lovers

Q

Comments (1)
    Holy cow! I would give almost anything to go see those gardens in person. Too bad I'm so far away. Amazing.
    ...See More

pictures of a cottage summer garden

Q

Comments (14)
    Nr 49 is a climbing lilly, 'gloriosa superba', subtropical. Nr 82 is a orchid, can't remember which one, but it is a beautiful one indeed. Nr 104 is a hypericum-species. Normally, the seedheads are black or dark, but this one gets beautiful coloured ones. Nice to read, that my photo's help you through a dull or early morning and that you enjoy what you see. Thank you! Mike
    ...See More
  • newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, I did not build it but had it done earlier this spring. Before that the hill just sloped all the way down to the sidewalk and was grass. Not much grass left here.

The little green plants you see right by the wall are Four O'Clocks. I bought a bunch of Four O'Clock tubers and planted them 1 foot apart all the way down. In the past I start Four O'Clocks from seed but I knew I would never get to it this year as I had so much to do. So I just bought the tubers.

• contrary_grow
    15 years ago

Everything looks so healthy. You've done a wonderful job and boy has it paid off. I can't wait to see more pictures throughout the summer.

Mary

• catankgirl
    15 years ago

Ummm, fresh blackberries... Delicious and beautiful!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I don't think I have ever seen healthier roses. What is your secret? Do you have a regular spray program and what do you use?

This rainy spring has been disastrous for my roses.

BTW, I meant to say it is just beautiful.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Oh my! You are so fortunate to have the skill and great garden to grow so many beautiful roses!

Black Cherry is perfect!

What kind of blackberries do you grow? That's so clever to incorporate them into your garden. Are they thornless?

Cameron

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, the blackberries are thornless and not as close to the roses as the angle of the picture makes them look. I have Apache and Arapaho. They make really huge berries. If you pick them before ripe they are slightly sour. But if I have the patience to wait until they are ripe they are sweet and so wonderful. Of corse the birds and squirrels think so too and help themselves to some of the fruit. No matter, there is plently for all.

I have planted things here to attract backyard songbirds, butterflies and bees so I never use insecticide but I spray my roses like clockwork on a two week schedule with Bayer Advanced Funcicide. I don't have Japanese beetles or Thrips, so that works here. All this week I have been watching the Chicadees and House Wrens which are nesting here, picking aphids off the roses. Safe for them to feed to the babies because no insecticide used.

To the fungicide I add Nepture liquid Seaweed fertilizer so that those roses get fed lightly every two weeks. If I did not spray in hot humid Long Island, my roses would have no leaves.

IN spring I use Rosetone on all the roses. This spring I also used the greensand which I think is great stuff. Finially I also put down humic acid which comes in liquid or powder. I used the powder which is a type of shale. It is not a fertilizer but rather does marvelous things to the soil so that plants can use nutrients in the soil more effectively.

Plus we had lots of rain. The roses loved the cool wet spring we had had this year.

And I break all the rules and plant them REALLY close together about 18 inches. Access would be from the front and around the back of the bed. I prune REALLY hard each spring, I don't have a shrub rose or a floribunda over two feet tall after spring prunnning. You can see that they love it and grow back loaded in bloom.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to answer that I like Floribundas and shrub roses because I get a lot more bloom than with my hybrid teas. But I have Hybrid Teas also, just in another section of my yard.

• contrary_grow
    15 years ago

Newyorkrita,

I saw your other pictures posted on the Roses forum (which were beautiful also) and wanted to ask you about Golden Zest. I just planted one this year (bareroot) and can't wait until it blooms. Is it as wonderful as J & P makes it out to be?

Thanks,
    Mary

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, it is better than any hype they could possible put out. I have some yellow english style roses, Austin Mollineaux and Austin Golden Celebration. Golden Zest is better than either of them. Better thicker form and doesn't blow in two days like an Austin. I love it and in fact I have two of them. Tried to find another this spring locally but just didn't find it. You will not be dissapointed with this rose.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

My favorite is the Black Cherry. I love the way your roses spill over the block wall. Hope my new carpet roses will eventually spill over the brick gardens as your's are doing!

Lorna

• msmisk
    15 years ago

So . . . your roses aren't beautiful just by accident. Thanks for sharing your regimen for keeping them so healthy.
    I'm going to adopt your program - it can't hurt !!

Carol

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think a big thing to remember is that you must stick to the every 2 weeks spray like clockwork. I know sometimes people think oh I have something else to do, I will get to them in a day or two. Doesn't work. Let it go even a day over and you get some blackspot. I mark it on my calender so I can't forget. I watch the weather. If we are expecting rain, I ALWAYS move up the spray date, not push it back. I also let a good amount of the spray drip down like a drench so I am sure these roses get some systemicly that way too.

I watch the roses. If you see some blackspot then shorten the interval between sprayings. I used to have to shorten to almost weekly in the worst of the humid summer when I used another product. So far hasn't happened with the Bayer.

The Bayer Advanced is an exceptional product for me. Plus I always mix in the liquid Neptune Seaweed Fertilizer. My opinion is that another brand is not as good, I really believe in the Neptune folliar feed.

Last year I skipped the Neptune folliar feed and I had less bloom. Not that my bloom was bad but this year is so much better. I use a lot of compost and really not that much Rose Tone. I decided to give them all Greensand this spring and I think they really loved it.

From the time the roses were young and small, I prune extremly heavily in spring. Its tempting not to prune a small rose but I have found it makes them stronger and fuller.

Now this works for me in my garden. Not saying it would be the thing for everyone. Just my way of doing things.

• msscarlet
    15 years ago

Your roses and gardens are lovely. I really like wall surrounding the roses! Very pretty!!!

• Bamateacha
    15 years ago

Beautiful roses! I especially liked that BeBop rose.

• altorama Ray
    15 years ago

Rita, they are beautiful!!
    In your first pic, what is the dark red rose all the way to the
    right?
    Alida

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is Scarlett Velvet and its a stunner. It is one of the Robert Clemments introductions from Heirloom roses that I planted last spring.

I have some other Clemments roses in that section but you can't see them in the picture. There is New Orleans, Star of the Nile and Louise Clemments.

In fact I love Clemments Roses so much that I bought a bunch more this spring and have planted them in a grouping which is in back of those in the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Velvet at Heirloom Roses

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

I am seriously in love with Black Cherry......oh, I don't have the energy to make a rose garden this year.........maybe next year. I always swear I'll never have roses again - so hard in this climate, then I see pictures like yours. I am perhaps best to lust from afar. lol!!

Nancy.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    15 years ago

I particularly love your Black Cherry rose, but all of your plantings are just exquisite. You are tempting me to try my hand at planting a rose.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Rita! Everything is so lush and green - yum! I am a floribunda lover, too. They are the perfect rose for a cottage garden, imo. They look like a rose and most importantly most of them smell like roses. Many, like Day Breaker, Julia Child, Outta the Blue and Easy Going, bloom almost continuously and they make good cut flowers. Livin' Easy is proving to be a bloomin' machine for me, as well.

TFS!
    Diana

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took some more pictures so here goes -

{{gwi:257942}}

The same section of roses as in the first picture above.

{{gwi:705218}}

Looking towards the street from the roses.

{{gwi:705223}}

Longer view of the front yard beds.

{{gwi:705226}}

More.

{{gwi:705229}}

Florabundaville.

{{gwi:705232}}

Shrub roses in front.

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

Rita ,beautiful gardens.TFS What part of N.Y. state are you in?? My sister would love your gardens,she's in Washingtonville and does a lot of gardening also.
    Kathi

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am on Long Island on the North Shore in Nassau County.

• sharon620
    15 years ago

Once again Rita! you have outdone yourself. How beautiful!
    May I ask what zone you are in? I am in PA and I am in Zone 6. I have no idea what to plant. Also in the winter everything looks so depressing. What do you do in the winter with your garden?
    Thanks so much
    Sharon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Zone 6 really. I don't do anything in the winter in the garden. As far as the roses, I just plant my grafts deep and many of them have gone own root by now.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Did I say before that I prefer your own photos to those done by the professional guy?
    His could be any catalog and he doesn't give their names.
    Your photos of the garden show how you appreciate the results of your efforts. So do we.

My grandson goes to school at Kings Point, LI, NY. Well, right now he's at our house and will go to sea on Am. Pres. Lines for six months,
    but he'll be in school after Christmas. He is the second generation Kings Pointer in our family.

Sharon, you could start a new thread asking what others in cold zones do for winter interest.
    Evergreens in the snow are one thing I've seen, and hardscape.
    There are some folks here who can show you very interesting winter gardens, enjoyed from inside.

Nell

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:277019}}

Black Garnet blooming today.

Sponsored