SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcmann_gw

New Jersey - our first fig plant - what should I do?

mcmann
14 years ago

My husband has always wanted a fig tree and last week he came home with a cutting that was given to him by an old gardener who lives in Bristol, PA. He has several fig trees growing in his little garden and they originally came from his father's fig trees in Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately he doesn't know the variety but he claims they grow well in his yard and he doesn't bury them or wrap them in the winter.

I typed in "New Jersey figs" in the search engine here and I am just bowled over by how knowledgeable everyone is. Actually the instructions offered here - on pinching, planting, fertilizing, winterizing, harvesting, soil requirements etc...are so precise that I'm afraid I'll mess up our little fig.

We live in Burlington County, NJ just a few miles from the Tacony Bridge and our soil has lots of clay - I'm hoping to find out if I should amend the soil - heck my little fig only has 4 leaves on it and I'm not even sure if I should plant it or keep it in a pot or put it in a larger pot for a year. Right now it's been sitting in the front flower bed in a 6" plastic pot. I water it every other day when the soil dries out. I do have a sunny location to plant it where it will receive sun all day until about 6 p.m. It will have plenty of room to stretch out and grow.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. My husband is already anticipating his own fig harvest.

Comments (6)