SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Chickens for Rita

13 years ago

Chicks: six Buff Orpingtons and four Black Sex-Links. Certified females. Little balls of black and yellow fluff. They were purchased Easter week 2010. First home - an old wash tub.

{{gwi:704717}}

A few weeks older - the little hens are starting to get real feathers and growing bigger so needed a new place to live - an empty lawnmower box worked just fine.

{{gwi:704719}}

May 2010: too big for the box. Time to go into the henhouse and have some freedom in the outside run

{{gwi:704721}}

Early June, 2010: Little hens are growing fast in their new environment. I give them fresh grass two or three times a day, every day, plus scratch (cracked, mixed grains). This batch is not going to run free. I am tired of critters getting my "girls" - wild and neighbor's pets.

{{gwi:704724}}

These are the best chickens I have ever had. They go to roost in the henhouse every night without my having to shoo them inside and they don't need a night light or an electric fan. happy little girls!

Today - June 27th, 2010: The Buffs are getting bigger than the Black Sex-Links, as they should. The Buff Orpingtons are the largest or among the largest of chickens.

{{gwi:704727}}

Close-up showing their size differences

{{gwi:704730}}

These friendly hens come right up to me when I feed them or take their photos - my sweet girls

{{gwi:704734}}

Higglety Pigglety My Black Hen...She lays eggs for Gentlemen - someday soon.

{{gwi:704737}}

{{gwi:704740}}

This little pullet hen is a good example of how "buff" they will become as adults, but notice her tail feathers aren't as developed. Even though they are all from the same batch, they all develop at their own rate

{{gwi:704742}}

Mirror, Mirror, In the pail, Who's that hen with the long black tail? I am sooooo beautiful?" {{gwi:704743}}

~Annie

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus