SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hlyell_gw

air layer with plastic pot

hlyell
16 years ago

Hi everyone. Thanks to Leon's help and instructions I attempted my first air layer using a plastic pot and potting mix (rather than the "moss ball" method) on a 4 yr. old LSU Gold tree. I slit the plastic pot down one corner, fitted it onto the branch, duct-taped the pot back together, added my ordinary potting mix and watered. It was amazingly successful. I'm going to try to add pictures to this post. I hope it works. If so, the first picture is right after I cut the air layer from the mother tree. The second picture is of the AMAZING root growth in just 3 1/2 weeks. Before seeing the amount of root growth I had planned to not only cut off the two large breba figs but to also remove the 5 little new figs. Now I wonder if I need to remove the new figs (because of the extensive root development). Anybody have a recommendation on this? Should I cut them all off, leave only a couple or leave them all (except of course the brebas - which have already been removed)? Many thanks. Henry P. S. On the same tree I also set an air layer using a ball of wet sphagnum moss with plastic wrap and foil (at the same time). As of the time I cut the potted air layer from the tree yesterday there were no roots yet visible through the plastic wrap on the "moss air layer". This certainly tells a novice propogator something about these two methods of air layering.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone