SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Marseille Fig Acting Funny

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

I am growing a Marseille fig in a pot on my sunny, south facing deck in zone 6. I store it in my unheated garage for the winter. I've had it about 4-5 years now. I am aware that it needs to be unpotted, root pruned, and repotted and I should probably also prune it as I haven't touched it since I had it and it's just about at the limit for size if we're going to be able to haul it in and out of the garage every year.

Two years ago I was having a problem with the leaves crisping and turning brown. From searching the internet I decided it was suffering from lack of potassium so I got some and scratched it into the soil and that seemed to fix the problem. Then last year, while the leaves weren't exactly crisping again, they were dropping like flies. I got a crop of figs, but the tree probably lost 2/3's if not more, of its leaves. This year it's leafed out ok, but now I notice some of the leaves are crisping and curling - they're not crisping brown like they did before - they're still green, but if you touch them, they're definitely crispy and dry and where that's happening they're misshaped and curling in on themselves.

First of all, is it too late to upot it, prune back the rootball and repot it with some fresh soil? And what could possibly be the problem with this crisping of the leaves? Could it all be the result of it being too potbound?

Also, when all the leaves fall off in the fall, there is a "bud" at the tip of each stem and that's what breaks and start's growing the following spring. So do I just prune each branch back to an outward facing "scar"? I don't know what else to call it - there are spots all along the branch where the old growth came from that are like little scars so I'm assuming there are dormant buds or something at each spot. Just cut back to an outward facing one and new growth will break? It just seems so wrong to snip off the tip of each branch with that lovely bud just waiting to open, but I obviously need to keep the tree to a certain size in order to manage it.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Lisa

Comments (7)