SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geoff_ri

When should I Give Up on a Cutting?

Geoff S
13 years ago

I have a cutting that someone mailed to me...unfortunately, the cuttings were short and stumpy with few nodes (not sure if that is the right word...but the divisions in the branch where it leafs) and all but one succumbed to mold.

The one that I have left is still in lightly moistened Perlite in a covered plastic bin on top of my fridge. It has ever so slowly developed little white bumps that look like the precursors to actual roots. It has been stagnant in this white-bump stage for about three months...no leaf development. Just recently, there is a tiny rootlet that has started pushing out...about one centimeter in length and very skinny...it has a good healthy color but it looks kinda sad and pathetic.

My questions are...when do I give up on this cutting? Is this rootlet the last dying gasp of a valiant effort? Is there any way to provide some nutrient to help the root system develop? Is this really just a organic material destined for the compost bin? Should I give up and move on to new plant relationships.

Thanks for your opinions and expertise...Geoff

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm