SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oxankle

On The Watering of Potted Figs

oxankle
14 years ago

As regulars here know, I am new to this game and ignorant of the finer details. One of the things that I have learned is that I must play close attention to the watering of my potted figs. Those in gallon pots, those rooted last year and not yet repotted, will get too dry in one day in our sun. Those in the bigger pots and half-barrels will get just as dry, they just get bigger in the big pots.

This makes figging a very labor-intensive undertaking. I must be here every day or almost every day, or I must hire the kid next door, both expensive and unreliable.

This problem may exist because of the potting medium I use. Not having yet gotten around to hauling in the couple of yards of materiels I will need to copy Tapla's mix I am simply using commercial potting mix. I find that five gallons a day for half-barrels with actively growing trees does not overwater them. If they are already damp it just flows thru. If I let them get too dry some of tghe first bucket will flow through without thoroughly wetting and a second bucket is required. (I am using the buckets so that I can learn just what is needed.)

Will some of you please comment on the frequency of watering and the water retention of the mix you use for potted figs?

Ox

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals