SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Some late bloomers for Friday

shive
11 years ago

I've been on a quest to expand my late bloomers for the past several years. This year I have several new lates that were acquired last fall.

TIFFANY SHADE is a newer Curt Hanson intro. I wasn't too sure about the first blooms, but the flowers have improved with the heat and the bloom is really growing on me. One thing I'm liking about this one is how quickly it multiplies. I bought a single fan last fall, and now it has five. Only one has a bloom scape this season.

SENECA SPIRIT is by Tom Rood of Grace Gardens. It is a near white that looks very graceful. It didn't have many buds this time, but it is a new one and still being grown in a pot. It has multiplied from two fans to three.

BERMUDA CORAL - This one was recommended by Val and some others on the forum. It has an old-fashioned look but is supposed to have scads of buds when mature. It only had 8 buds for me this first time.

KENTUCKY LUCKY is a late by John Rice and has the Reckamp polychromes in its background. It bloomed on short scapes this first time and only had 7-8 buds per scape. This is one I will love when it matures.

BEST FOR LAST is a 2011 Rice intro that blooms very late in my garden. It has 14-16 buds per scape in the first year and nice, tall scapes. Rice says the color is pink, but it's lavender in my garden. The petals have very thick substance and they hold up well when temperatures are in the 90s. Not as well at 103.

I'm very pleased with the two Trimmer lates I added this spring. Both are well-budded rebloomers that hold up fairly well in the heat.

LAKE TAHOE AUTUMN

WILD APPLE AUTUMN

I also got two of Judy Davisson's new late bloomers last fall.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS has just started blooming. It has a moderate amount of buds - 7-8, but five scapes.

The other Davisson, GOLDIE GOLDDIGGER, should have its ffo over the weekend.

The last new late I have is one I really love, CARDINAL DESIRE, hybridized my Mike Grossman. I bought it as a single fan, and it's still a single fan with only 7 buds in its first year. But the color and teeth really appeal to me.

Debra

Comments (15)