SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carliestevens

Indoor Ficus Benjamina in Serious Struggle for Life!

carliestevens
14 years ago

Hello lovely plant enthuiasts!

Please help me save this poor overloved but poorly cared for tree!

I have been given the job of curing a very sick plant. It's been moved, heated, over cooled, over watered, underfertalized and now is buggy....where do I begin to heal this sick plant?

It's half dead (a lot of dead bits have already been cut away) with some green growth on the lower parts, I've ordered off watering it so it can dry out (it's been sitting in water) but I am concerned about root rot. When I went to dig to discover what's up down there, the soil was full of fruit flies and fruit fly larvae. (I'm not sure if the kids buried some raisins or if the plant is worse off than I thought!)

Also there is a dark (wet looking) ring around the tree's trunk at soil level extending up about two inches and according to the owners, it used to be white, has turned dark brown and is growing. What is this about?

I would like to give the whole tree new soil as it's never been re-potted by the owners and am wondering what to do to kill the bugs naturally before I give new healthy soil. Should I use plant food in the water and/or some other fertilizer?

Also it's not getting the best light. Should I move it to a corner where it will get more indirect light and not be in the draft of the front door?

thanks so much for your advice!

Carlie ;-)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County