SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleen636_gw

Autumn Blaze Maple in Raised Bed

Colleen636
10 years ago

Hi everyone. We have recently moved to a new build home in Saskatoon Sk, and are in the process of landscaping the yard. We have made a large L shaped retaining wall (16 x 50 feet on the long size and 12 x 30 feet on the shorter side and about 16 inches high) in the backyard, and last fall we planted some trees, shrubs, and perennials in it. At the advice of the local nursery we selected a burr oak, a Dropmore linden and an autumn blaze maple as the 3 shade trees. While researching trees for the front yard, which we are doing this summer, I have run across a lot of posts on these forums discussing the difficulties of growing shrubs and perennials under maple trees. The trees have only been in the ground a few months and I feel like if I am going to be fighting with and cursing this tree for the next 20 or 30 years I would rather just cut the $200 loss for the cost of the tree and dig it up now while we can, and don't need to have it professionally removed. I don't mind being limited to spring bulbs and hostas and other tough shade lovers, but I don't want to have a trouble spot where nothing will grow once this tree matures. Anyone with experience having flower beds under maples, would you replace this tree now if you were me? Also any recommendations as to what you might replace it with would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comment (1)