SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Severe Flooding in Oklahoma and Arkansas

Annie
13 years ago

We've gotten Record Breaking rainfall totals here in Central Oklahoma today, with more coming down. We got over 9 inches of rain since 3:30 this morning. The average monthly total is a little over 4 inches. We got double that in a few hours time.

I haven't gone out yet to see what washed away, if anything. We sometimes get 'white water' runoff from farther up the ridge, but no standing flood waters. There is a natural dry creek that carries most of the runoff (I named Plum Creek) and we dug a little ditch below that to carry it away from our back yard and over to the gulch that runs down into Owl's Canyon (which I also named). There is a whistle culvert that goes under the road there, but the county does not keep it cleaned out and sometimes that backs up too.

The runoff flooding on our property was the reason I began terracing and planted my flower beds in horizontal patterns. It would have been foolish not to have taken that into serious consideration when designing my gardens. It used to run down between the house and the carport in a foot or more of rapid water. I have seen years when it was 3 to 4 ft. deep over on the north side of our yard with water crashing into trees and throwing water 7 ft or more into the air. Since we dug that little ditch from Plum Creek over to the main water drain, that no longer is a problem.

The flooding in Oklahoma is historical. That is why there were so many dams and lakes built to help control the flooding that has always plagued this state. We have both lived through some bad floods, so, that was our main criteria when house/property hunting back in 1996 - high ground. We're not lowlanders any more. I am glad we stuck to our guns on that decision every time we have severe flooding in the state. The sky is still looking ominous. We will get more rain before this is over. The Cimarron river north of here will be flooding as will all of the north-to-south rivers that snake diagonally across this state.

Bonnie Bell ran out the back door to go potty awhile ago, spun around on the patio and ran quickly back inside. Shep needed to go badly, so he ventured out into the front yard and added his contribution to the flooding. :] Then dashed back up the steps and through the front door.

It's raining again...oh, boy. I have the news on. Lots of reports of rescues. Even boats that were carrying people to safety have been capsized in the rushing waters. Good grief!

They are reporting that there are five people in the floodwater right now clinging to trees to keep from being swept away and firefighters are trying to get to them. How terrifying!

Hope you are okay Pam and all you others in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Images welcome here if you can safely get them.

Stay safe!

~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: KOCO TV 5 in OKLA City. OK - see live pictures & stories

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville