SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

wanted: ricky's swap and grunt - sunday oct. 22nd - part ii

fawnridge (Ricky)
17 years ago

150 posts on the first one, so I'll start another one here. Check the post on the invitations if you haven't already sent for yours!

Comments (22)

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Come HUNGRY to the swap! I'm bringing a cheesy scalloped potato dish (ala Emeril), and a cold German Potato Salad (vinegery, with lots of bacon). Our host Ricky is an accomplished cook - the pulled pork is scrumptious.

Does anyone need Chaya cuttings, or Fig cuttings? Chaya roots so easily that it is scary! Figs are easy too, but I'm not 100% sure what varieties I have. The tags were all blown away. But, they are all delicious!

I have lots of started veggie plants to share, and Yellow Passionvine seedlings. Think about Moringas, and Green/Red Bananas- I'm bringing them too.

I suspect the Chaya contest will be great fun! Dropped off fresh Chaya to Veronika today, who is gunning for the Heliconias with a big smile and a spatula!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, plus meeting new folks!

Lisa

• scents_from_heaven
    17 years ago

I know this swap is going to be so much fun. I am sad that I will not be able to make it. My cousin has to work on Sunday and Lee does not feel like the trip. I can not leave him alone. I know you will have a blast. Keep those plants going. Linda

• carmiewest
    17 years ago

Lisa,

I would love a cutting of Chaya if possible. I can't wait to try it.

Ricky,

Is there a post where it lists the food everybody is bringing? What should I bring? Fruit? Dessert? Salad? Bread?

Carmen

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carmen - I've lost track of who's bringing what, as usual. I can guarantee you any fruit or dessert you bring will be eaten in its entirety. No one is bringing bread, but with everyone on low carb diets these days, that's not a surprise! There are several salads coming, and again, if you bring one as well, it will be consumed.

See you Sunday!

• coffeemom
    17 years ago

I'm bringing key lime pie. Save room for dessert.

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Well, I just boiled all the chaya that I got from Lisa yesterday (thank you so much). Our house smells like boiled chaya (lol), my husband came from the other side of the house tu turn on the ventilator above the stove (2xLOL) after I explained to him that it has to be boiled to release the poisons (he gave me this look and cranked up the AC....3xLOL)....anyway I am having a lots of fun, and I am also pleasently surprised to how this chaya tastes, it is quite nice......Well I will be cooking all day tomorrow, to make my entry dish for the competition....and I will bring a czech potatoe salad (I guess we can compare with the German one, Lisa) and a czech apple strudell (I know Coffemom....you can not wait).
    I am really really looking forward to Sunday, I think that I will have hard time sleeping (like a kid).

Katkin, I will let you know about the zingiber. I would love a DrMoy, but have to check if I have a rhizome available. Do you like costus?
    Veronika

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

Does anyone in the Ft.Lauderdale (Sunrise) area have a chaya plant that we could have some leaves from for the chaya challenge?

• growgrow
    17 years ago

Katkin,
    yes I can do the trade, I will have for you the Zingiber, i will keep the rhizome, and will give you the rooted baby plant.
    What else do you have, any interesting gingers or heliconias?
    Veronika

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    I'll take a chaya cutting if you still have some. All this talk about it makes me want one. Thanks
    susana

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

I think I'm bringing potato salad and was thinking of making either cookies or pumpkin bread.

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Pumpkin bread, pleeeease! I love it! :)

• katkin_gw
    17 years ago

Veronica, ok great that's a Dr Moy for you. I have lots of gingers, but I am riding with 2 others and it's not my car. I need to keep it small. Come see me and I'll send you home with some.

• arabesque
    17 years ago

I'm thinking on bringing an autumnish aduki bean, winter squash and kombu soup. This is good hot or cold, since our weather won't exactly be autumnish Sunday, cold may be the better choice. If possible I'll throw together a loaf of homemade butter bread.

I'll be short on plants I'm bringing this time, due to
    !x**?Xz vertigo-motion disturbance */x^x**! stuff since mid-summer that's just recently been mending. ihope. But I will bring two or three staghorn pups. I promised someone a pup, don't remember who, I think Veronika. I'm also bringing some little saplings (?) of an unknown small tree that is delightful and a butterfly favorite. Plus some (to me) exotic vegetable seeds; a seedling pink Pride of Barbados for Ricky, and Pride of Barbados seeds.

I'm looking forward to a great visit with great gardeners; and the pleasure of Ricky's gardens. and oyes...all that great sounding food.
    -Arabesque

• sillybugs
    17 years ago

Arabesque- did you want any of the elkhorn fern this time?

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

I have the palm fertilizer but I can't remember who I said I'd give it to...coffeemom?

• arabesque
    17 years ago

Sillybugs, yes indeed! Thanks for remembering! Elkhorn fern! :)
    -Arabesque

• sillybugs
    17 years ago

no problem :) i'll dig up a nice chunk for you.
    _________

I'm gonna make/bring some brownies.. is that ok for everyone?
    or would a differnt sweet be better?

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

pumpkin bread is in the oven and the potato's are boiling. :) I'm hunnnngry!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just rolled the smoker out of the garage. Starting the fire at 7pm, meat in at 8pm, done at 10am tomorrow. And I'm getting hungry!!!

• msmarion
    17 years ago

Ricky~
    My home computer is on the fritz (I'm borrowing my neighbor's) and Kat's printer is on the fritz so ...could you leave an invitation at the gate house for us or send one to Katkin. Her address is on her page to email direct.
    The chocolate chip cake just came out of the oven.
    See you all in the moring.
    Marion

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marion - I just sent one to Katkin.

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

Chocolate chip cake?? Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to be one stuffed person tomorrow.

Everything's made and ready to go! Wish we had more stuff to bring to the trade but didn't have much this time around.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA