SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_hands_feet

WANTED: More Winter Park Plant Swap on October 21st

garden_hands_feet
17 years ago

Greetings!

Pat gave me the information that our first Winter Park Plant Swap post filled up...so here's another one. Thanks, Pat!

It is October! The slight feel of fall is in the air. It's nice to work outside and not sweat (or as much.)

Our plant swap is a huge success...we are over 50 strong!

There was a bit of discomfort due to one post in particular, however Kate diffused the situation with her elegant diplomacy and started a new discussion that has been very popular. And I must say, I think we all agree on moderation in our gardens and eco-responsiblity, too.

My photo of the day is of coral porterweed.

{{gwi:773425}}

Cheers,

Diana

Comments (71)

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    I would love a piece of your fig tree. I don't know if you live near here, because if you do, please, just bring a cutting to the swap. I can try starting it and save you the pot trouble. Hurray!
    Thanks,
    Diana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We forgot why we got this plant. Now, after seeing the blooms, I remember. It grows like mad, then falls over and grows some more. Kenafs also reseed like crazy. It is one of the few plants of which I will discard 'volunteers.' The fibers are used in some places to replace cutting down trees for their fiber.
    Diana

• Related Discussions

2007 GTA Central/East Tailgate Garden Swap May 21st(Victoria Day)

Q

Comments (43)
    WooHoo! Nicole - so glad to have you getting the ball rolling for the fall swap. Ajax sounds great. Last year CherylnPickering got us swapping in the parking lot of St. Mary Catholic Secondary School in Pickering, and in the past years fall swaps we've been around the Oshawa area, but how about you connect with your easterly GTA newbies and maybe they can come up with a good location and then we can figure out a date. In 2005 we had it on October 1st; last year the date was September 24th - so our options are plenty with respect to an east GTA location and a good date for us all. Feel free to create a new thread on the Fall 2007 GTA East Tailgater where we can iron out the date and location - and I'll start ground layering plants that don't take to root division so I can brings some new things that are already rooted. I can't believe how well the rose of sharon twigs I got last year rooted and now are ready to come out of pots and into gardens - I'll leave them be until the fall in pots to bring them and a good supply of other rooted plants to bring for this fall swap. Cheers! Sydseeds
    ...See More

WANTED: Ideas about a Plant Swap Meet in Winter Park

Q

Comments (14)
    Join me at my home in Winter Park for a glorious day of seed, cutting and plant swaps. What to bring? Lawn chair, cutting/gardening tools/bags, boxes, if you want to have lunch, something to BBQ and/or share and your best gardening spirit. The Plant Swap at home is from 9:00am - 3:00pm. Give me an e-holler at disilkwood@yahoo.com to let me know of your attendance plans so I may prepare. My husband and I are planting seeds to share for heirloom tomatoes, heirloom peppers, eucalyptus citridoria and African tulip trees...and goodness knows what else. This is going to dirt lovin' fun!
    ...See More

WANTED: Winter Park Plant Swap - What a Hoot!

Q

Comments (1)
    I've finally gotten everything from the swap in the ground! I brought home a lot of plants for someone who said she wasn't going take anything in exchange for my plants. Oh well. There's always a spot for a few more! Thanks, All! Kate
    ...See More

Ft Worth Autumn Fall Swap October 15 2016 Saturday Trinity Park

Q

Comments (2)
    Important Change: The date shown in the title is WRONG! We're meeting on October 22! couldn't edit the post title.
    ...See More
  • mistymorgans
    17 years ago

Hi Diana, I tried cloning 4 pieces of my fig tree and only one took, I was really surprised. usually get a better success rate then that, but I do have one well rooted fig baby I am bringing if you are interested in it. Jae

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Jae! I would love your fig baby. Diana

• zozzl
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    I will save a staghorn for you; I have two to bring.

Also, illmannneredache, I would love an African Basil and I will try to dig up a brugs for you. do you have the one with yellow buds that open to peachy/salmon, very fragrant?

I'm going to post a list next week. I am scrambling to get everything potted and I guess everyone else is too. Can't wait!!!!!! Oh, I would love to see what other people are looking for and I wish more people would post their want lists. Ya never know if someone has just what you have been looking for:) Pat

• aimeelynn818
    17 years ago

Hi,

I'm kind of new here, please excuse if I'm barging.

I'd love to attend the swap--sounds great.

Does anyone know anything about Pomegranate trees here in Orlando? I'd really like to plant one, but am having trouble finding them in our area. Any help is appreciated.

thank you,
    Aimee

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Any information that you get concerning pomegranates would be appreciated here. By the way, YOU are NOT barging. You are more than welcomed to join us. Please, send me your e-mail address to I can add it to my e-list. I send my personal address out on the e-list. Diana

• solstice98
    17 years ago

OK, one more thing to possibly add to the list:

I have an orange/red Pride of Barbados - 2 years old and about 3 feet tall. I would love to trade it for one of the pink colored ones. Anybody have one?

Kate

• zozzl
    17 years ago

I don't have the pink Kate, but I do have nice seedlings of the solid yellow if you or anyone wants one. Don't need the the orange/red though.

Pat.

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Thanks Pat but I think I'll pass on the yellow. Holding out for the pink!

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pomegranate idea...I appreciate all the fig cuttings/plant that people are bringing to the swap! Thank goodness that I have a large yard! I am going to order cuttings from UC-Davis National Clonal Repostitory for "Wonderful" pomegranates (which my research tells me that variety originated in Florida) and "Alma," "Brown Turkey," "Celeste" and "Golden Celeste" fig cuttings. Oughta keep me busy and off the streets..hahahahaha!
    Diana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My dear friend and sage gardener, Irma, from my church cannot come to the swap, however she left three more blue gingers for you. I have quite a few, so I hope that you all will take some home with you. They like the shade and watering. Their bloom spikes are outstanding and long lasting.
    Diana

• geminale
    17 years ago

I'll be bringing a some of several things - some natives and some non. I have a few small loquats, some sunflower-like plants that I'm trying to find the "real" name for, some gingers and hopefully a few banana and a variety of other stuff. Looking forward to the swap!

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Geminale!
    I don't think that I have you on my personal e-list. Will you, please, send me an email at disilkwood@yahoo.com? I feel a little scattered cuz I don't think I know your first name. Plant Swap organizer space-out!
    Diana

• geminale
    17 years ago

Hi Diana,

I sent my info to you via email. Also wondered if anyone was interested in beautyberry bushes or prickly pear cactus. Also if there are any natives you're looking for let me know and I'll see if I can scare them up. Thanks!

Donna aka geminale

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Diana - I just love it when you post pictures of your blooms. They are just spectacular. I can't wait to see them in person. It is going to be a wonderful swap. - Susana

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Does anyone have a plumera? I'm looking for a cutting I can use root tone on to get one started?
    Debbie

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    I have a few started from seed that are 2 years old and should bloom next spring. If you want one, I'll bring it. They are very healthy and about 12-15" tall. Since the seeds don't always come out like the parent plant I can't really say what color they will be.
    Kate

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Kate,
    Yes Please bring me one. I'm not worried about the color.
    Thank you so much.
    Debbie

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    I have three plumeras. You are welcomed to take a cutting at the swap. One of my neighbors brought one whole plant to me. It blooms a creamy yellow bloom and boy, howdie does it ever smell good! After the proper thanks and his departure, I gleefully cut it into three plants. Gotta love that powder hormone rooting powder! All three plants are doing great!
    Diana

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Diana,
    Yes I would love to have cuttings!! I can't wait for the swap. I feel like a kid in a candy store.
    Debbie

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Diana - Would you please save me some of your datura seeds. I just love that color. You are right it is spectacular!!! I just purchased a double white but it is still small. Thank you, -susana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susana,
    One of the 'thorn apple' datura (seed pods) is yours. I don't think that they will be quite ready to harvest by our swap, however I can always mail one to you later.
    Diana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greetings, All!
    Bruce obtained some seeds from a Pink Dixie Belle hibiscus plant and I was wondering if anyone coming to the swap could give us a bit of advice on germinating them.
    Diana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! We have eight days left until our swap. My anxieties have switched from 'oh, God, are my baseboards clean?' to what are we going to eat and drink? Plus, what about all the yard work I will have AFTER the swap...what will I have to plant and start? You all are the kindest people...gardeners rule! For anyone reading this, please, email me at disilkwood@yahoo.com, so I can email my address and contact information to you. I promise to email you promptly with my location.
    My photo of the day is of my Barbado Cherries. We have it sort of bonsai'ed into a hanging basket and the photo shows all of the different phases of production.
    Diana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susana,
    I just noticed a plant sale in Sarasota for the same day as our swap. Maybe, you can double-duty it. It is listed under Discussion/Florida Gardening. Hopefully, I will see you again at the Winter Park Plant Swap!
    Diana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

For the life of me, I cannot figure what this mystery plant in my yard is. It simply volunteered by one of my palms and grew like crazy to about 10'. I recall that it is coming from a space where had planted some sunflowers. The sunflowers are long gone...maybe it was a "stray" seed. Tom MacCubbin said that it may be a primrose willow, however I sent him a photo before it started blooming. The flowers are lovely and make fabulous cut flowers for the house. The leaves are rather sparce, elongated arrow-shaped and very narrow. Anybody know what it maybe? I had decided to let it bloom before I made a "management decision" on whether it could stay here or not. It can stay
    Diana

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Diana,
    I went to the same site as the Sarasota plant sale is running Oct 21st and purchased some cacti and plumerias in August. His gardens are beautiful and the plants were very reasonably priced. His list this time includes (nepenthes, orchids, epiphytes, ant plants, cacti, succulents, landscape plants, aroids and hoyas) If you are interested in any of them let me know and I will go there before I leave to go to your swap. This place is only about 15 minutes from my house.
    susana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Susana! However, I think I have enough to care for in my yard plus the new stuff folks are bringing to the swap.
    Diana

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Does anyone want Cryptanthus bivittatus. They are called Pink Starlite.

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Ok everyone. I have these plants if anyone wants them LMK b/c I'm running out of room in my truck. LOL I'm not sure what name bromealed they are.
    They have sharp edges though and there bigger then my others. I haven't seen them flower. And I can't seem to find them in my books. The leaves are dark green and sharp. It hurts to pull weeds around them If anyone knows what they are and wants them I'll bring them. Also I pulled out I believe to be a morning glory tree. It's big and has big purple flowers.The flowers look just like morning glory flowers. I have another one that I'm keeping, does anyone want this one? Also I have 3 Pampas grass. Does anyone want them?

Diana,
    One of my little plant haulers wants to know if you will have any of your beefstate tomatoes for him? He is 11 and he is the veg gardener.
    Thanks
    Debbie

• zozzl
    17 years ago

Debbie,

Do you think you could post a pick of your dark green sharpy things and your morning glory tree? I am just curious:) Maybe the dark green things are some kind of aloe?

Pat

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    Of course, your young gardening friend can have one of our heirloom beefstake tomato plants, plus I have an heirloom California Wonder pepper plant for him. I have decided to grow only spinach, lettuces and swiss chard this winter. However, I am dreaming of my spring vegetable garden.......
    Diana

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I sent out some invitations to everyone who may attend this plant swap. Lord help me, I have never used Evites before, but I did get mine (put my email on the list to check it.) Anyone who wishes to attend, please, email me at disilkwood@yahoo.com and I will send one to you. Now to finish the screaming green directional signs.....
    Diana

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

GREEN......how appropriate, LOL!

• desertrosenovember
    17 years ago

Diane,
    I recently heard about this site from my neighbor across the street who goes by the name "coke nut". I was wondering if I would be able to come to the gathering on the 21st or if I am too late. Thank you in advance for your reply!

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Please, come with Debbie! Send me an email at disilkwood@yahoo.com and I can add you to my invitation list....or Debbie (coke_nut) can add you to her invitation as a guest. Either way or no way, please come!
    Diana

• zozzl
    17 years ago

Here's my list so far:

Hoya rubra (1)
    bromeliads
    Mexican sunflower seedlings(Tithonia rotundifolia)
    Solid yellow Dwarf poinciana seedlings
    Chilean potato vine/lavender
    Clerodendum thomsoneae (1)
    Pipevine (miniature)
    Alternanthera
    Jasmine sumac-rooted cuttings
    Papaya trees
    Aquatics, wl,cyperus papyrus, parrots feather, pink water
    lilies.
    and seeds.

Also have some large black plastic pots.

Can't wait to see everyone:) Pat

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Pat,
    Here is a picture of one of the plants I was telling you of. The morning glory tree. Also I looked on google and found the name of the sharpy one the name is Gamosepala it is a bromeliad. But the last one I still have no clue. It's growing like a tree.
    [img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/332/332540/folders/255104/2018083plant6.jpg[/img]
    I've got other pic's you can see on my page of the morning glory and the gamosepala. Toward the bottom of the album.
    http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=255104&groupid=332540&folderview=thumbs&ck=

• zozzl
    17 years ago

Debbie:

I found an aechmea gamosepala at Daves Garden online. If that is the one you have I would like one. The morning glory tree I think is ipomoea arborescens. Great photos in your album. What are the names of flower1 and flower7?

Pat

• anitaathome
    17 years ago

I sure am having tropuble with this site! I have tried to get signed up for this swap several times over the last couple of weeks with no success. I hope this gets it!

Anyway, please add me and Steve and Susie Dix to the list if it is not too late! I will need the address and time.

Thanks!

Anita

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    I would be very happy to take one of your green plants and also the morning glory tree if it is still available.
    Thank you, susana

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners,
    Pat that's what it is and your name is on one! I finely have something you want. If you want more LMK. Also I dug out one of the morning glory trees the root is quite large I put it in a recycling bucket. If you want it it's yours LMK. As for the pic's on my page my husband and I put that page together last night. So I'll have to go on it and take a look at the plants your talking about.

Susana,
    I have root toned a couple of the morning Glory's if you want one lmk. I also have a gamosepala with your name on it.

Diana,
    You have made my son so happy he said Thank you for the tomato and pepper. :)

I'm not sure which of us is more excited about going to the swap me or the boys.

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue,
    Thanks for your kind offer to give us a couple of guppies for our small water garden. I'm going to pass on this offer. The raccoons may find this way too interesting. Bruce and I have to clean up after them each morning. Hmmm...our thoughts about a large water garden are being reconsidered.
    Diana

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Pat,
    Ok. # 1 flower plant is a primrose (common name )and the real name is (primula vulgaris mixed ) They are so pretty. Now the other flower plant is a powder puff. this is a site for it. www.floridagardener.com/pom/powerpuff.htm
    These are on my want list. Does anyone have either of these? I found out that the plant I was trying to identify is a Jatrophas or common name ( belly ache bush ).

• abendwolke
    17 years ago

I like some guppies for my pond, if anyone has too many and needs a home for them :-)

Evelyn

• coke_nut
    17 years ago

Hi everyone.
    Does anyone have a string of hearts? It's different from a string of pearls. It has little heart shaped leaves. It is a houseplant. Just had to ask my husband is searching for one.

• katkin_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Dianna, I just wanted to pop in and say I would have loved to come to your swap, but couldn't talk hubby into making the drive. I read your post in Ricky's swap and thought your my kind of woman. LOL I am sure you all will have fun and hope to meet you one day.
    Kathy aka Katkin

• garden_hands_feet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greetings, All!
    Our plant swap is TOMORROW! Hurray! After spending two days down with a wretched cold, I am back! Only a couple of days behind! The important things are done...yard, green directional signs and food. What more can we possibly need, except all of the lovely exchanges of plants and cuttings! It's going to be a hoot. Some of my plants have decided to behave and bloom on que with your visit tomorrow. My datura, perennial sunflower, sunflower maximillius and brugsmansia...I think they are getting tired of all this warm weather and are ready for winter. Me, too...whatever winter means in Florida.
    See you tomorrow,
    Diana

• wanna_run_faster
    17 years ago

Have Fun Every One! :)

Sponsored