SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkutz_gw

Brown Turkey Fig - help!

lkutz
11 years ago

We purchased a Brown Turkey Fig last spring and planted it according to the instructions from the garden center. It produced two beautiful figs last fall and we had high hopes of it surviving the winter. We insulated it with leaves and mulch, wrapped it in multiple layers of burlap, and placed a bucket over it. With temps in the 50's this week, I went out and unwrapped the fig. To my dismay, it seems that many of the branches appear dead! The base of the tree itself still seems rooted well and springy, but some small branches were dry and broke off during the unwrapping (even though I was careful!). Is it too early to give up hope? We were so careful, and kept the deer away, and tried everything we knew to keep it healthy, and are now worried that it didn't survive the winter.

How long should I give it to get buds and appear alive? Should we do anything to it to help it along? We have an arborist feed our trees every year - should we include this baby fig in the feeding? This is our first fig.

Thanks!

LeighAnn

Comments (9)