SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larmo_gw

How to propagate a clipping????

larmo
16 years ago

I live in central Massachusetts near Worcester. I'm not sure what Zone that would put me in. However, in June 07 I was given a clipping from my brother's tree located in Southbury, CT (probably the same Zone as MA). Not knowing how to root the clipping, I read on line to cut the branch into smaller clippings, each containing at least two nodes, wrap each branch in a moist paper towel and place them in the basement in a plastic container. Although the paper towels are still moist, the clippings don't seem to have many (if any) new roots. We also tried taking one of the clippings and burying it outside, horizontally a few inches from the surface. When we weren't seeing any rooting, we got another clipping and planted it directly in a pot filled with dirt from our garden and potting soil. I can't tell if that one has grown any roots without digging it up. Now to my questions: Am I on the right track with trying to get the clippings to root? When should I plant the clippings outside in my climate zone (the northeast)?

I'm not sure what type of fig this is but I'm told the original clipping was brought over from Italy by my great-grandmother and my brother's tree, which was grown by my grandmother from a clipping of this tree was transplanted from my grandmother's house in the Bronx. I would ask my grandparents how they did it, but unfortunately they have all passed.

Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Larry

Comments (5)