SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pieceofparadise

wanted: se fl swap

pieceofparadise
18 years ago

A South East Florida swap is in the works for Sunday, October 16 in Palm City-45 minutes N. of West Palm, 2 hours South of Orlando. The site is an easy shot from the Florida Turnpike, Palm City exit-head due east, turn right,ten houses down on the left. Please respond/check in here if you want to particpate. I'll provide drinks, snacks and grocery store size plastic bags for bare root trades.

Megan

Comments (55)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Katkin - I've got 6 in one gallon cans. All are growing in the shade. I'll start moving one into the sun for you.

• msmarion
    18 years ago

I'd like to join in and meet the folks I've been reading about for the past two years. I'm new to Florida gardening and need all the help I can get. I've left all my gardening friends in New Hampshire. I'll bring a desert.
    Marion

• Related Discussions

WANTED: 11/10/13 Edgewater Fl Plant/Garden Swap

Q

Comments (0)
    Edgewater Permaculture Society's Fall Annual Plant/Garden Swap Party at the Park Sunday, November 10, 2013 2pm-4pm Menard-May Park, 413 S. Riverside Drive, Edgewater, Florida You're invited to: Edgewater Permaculture Society's Fall Annual Plant/Garden Swap Party at the Park. Sunday, November 10, 2013 2pm-4pm at Menard-May Park, 413 S. Riverside Drive, Edgewater, Florida. Bring anything garden related to trade with other local gardeners and farmers. Suggested items (but not limited to) plants, seeds, pots, garden art, tools, fresh produce, livestock, home made soap, home canned goods etc. Lots of great freebies. Free refreshments. Please help us spread the word about this fun free public event! email epsplantswap@yahoo.com for more information http://www.edgewaterpermaculturesociety.webs.com/ Here is a link that might be useful: Edgewater Permaculture Society website
    ...See More

Where can I find these organics in SE FL?

Q

Comments (5)
    Did you try Feed and Seed type tsores? Lowes does have an Organic area but you must Look for it or ask where it is/ I was just there and my Lowes does carry many of those items in carryable sizes. Remember that many organic items are Organic CHEMICALS. Fish fertilizer can be devastating if not used appropriately. I have used the Alfalfa pellets(like bunnies eat) for my roses when the rose grower gave me that secret. Blood meal is very attractive to dogs who are certain a dead animal is buried in your garden.I would make sure you get a soil test first. Good luck http://agriculture.kellysearch.com/suppliers/triple+superphosphate+fertilizers/US/37879
    ...See More

pls help me-clueless about gardening-viburnums in shade?-SE FL

Q

Comments (5)
    awww, thanks mammie! He is a sweetie. He is 34 inches tall at the withers (shoulder) and is a 7 year old gelding. We are told he knows how to pull a cart, but we have not tried that yet! He is just a pet...we will also get a big horse soon to ride, but in the meantime he is satifying my "horse urge" without costing tons of $$$ in the feed department! My next door neighbor boards horses that stay out in their pasture all the time (they are retired) so he has companionship with them (it is kind of cruel to keep only one horse...they are herd animals and crave other horses company.) Oh, I wanted to add to this thread...that I am thinking of getting a 6' tall rolled bamboo fence to put up while whatever plants I decide are growing. Anyone have any experience with these fences? Also, will clematic grow in the shade? Someone on another forum suggested clematis for this shaded area. Thanks.
    ...See More

wanted: anybody out there in se mass or ri for swapping

Q

Comments (3)
    THIS is the way your mother made her garden grow. She traded thriving plants with friends and neighbors. Which is exactly what we'll be doing at the New England Plant Swap this Spring. Sharing is the best part of gardening. When a plant does well enough here in New England, others want to know about it. They'd like even more to HAVE some of it. If you haven't been to a good, old-fashioned plant swap, you're in for a treat. Pot up your excess prized plants to share. Load up your bounty and head to beautiful Adams Farm at 999 North St. in Walpole MA on June 2, 2012 at 9 am. There, you will meet other, friendly, local gardeners with their booty for sharing. It's simple, free and fun for all. For each plant you bring, you can take a plant from someone else. All the details are at our web site: http://www.newenglandplantswap.org or we may be reached at info@newenglandplantswap.org. We look forward to seeing you there. Your mother would be proud. In fact, BRING your mother and other friends who like to share. Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 New England Plant Swap
    ...See More
  • cportu
    18 years ago

I might be able to make it. About how long would it take me to get there from Miami? I'd have a ton of heirloom tomatoes by that time that I could bring for trading. Lots of them will probably be grafted by that point (I graft onto a nematode resistant rootstock). Growing 44 varieties and all will be started by that point. I'm sure my mom (a gardening nut from fort lauderdale would love to come).

How many folks are you expecting?

Thanks,

Carlos-
    Miami

• treefrog_fl
    18 years ago

Got it on my calendar and looking forward to it!

• pieceofparadise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Palm City is about 90 miles North of Miami.Heirloom tomatoes sound fantastic! I was drooling over some at the local grocer..$3.50 per tomato! They looked wonderful, but I didn't buy them. Katkin, please do list what plants you plan on bringing. I'm working on my parents 50th wedding anniversary party right now and haven't had time to get out there and propogate much. I need to get busy!

• katkin_gw
    18 years ago

Fawn, is there a plant I have you would want in trade? Ok, Megan, here's a partial list.
    Black robe
    bulbine, yelllow
    bulbine, yellow/orange
    spathogolittis, purple
    clerodendrum, starburst
    red turks cap
    I'll see what else I can come up with.

• nova_gw
    18 years ago

Hello everyone! Here is a beginning list of what I will be able to bring to the swap -
    Alocasia Odora
    Alocasia Reginula "Black Velvet"
    Colocasia antiquorium "Illustris"
    Colocasia esculenta "Red Stem"
    Roses-
    Duchess Du Barbant
    Louis Philippe
    Daylillies -
    NOID Red
    Thunbergia Erecta-Kings Mantle
    Caesalpinia Pulcherrima- Dwarf Poinciana [yellow and orange)
    Hardy Hibiscus -
    Red Shield
    October Rose
    Blue-eyed Grass

Cuttings- if you contact me early I will try to get some of these rooted for you!
    Coleus - many varieties, contact me for a list
    Brugmansia - NOID yellow and Pink
    Tithonia Diversaflora
    Cat's Whiskers [white]
    Thunbergia Grandiflora
    Crocosimia [bulbs]
    Jatropha Glossypifolia [I may have seeds for this by the swap]
    I will try to add to this as time comes closer to the swap. Anyone who is new and doesn't have much to trade please feel free to ask if something on my list appeals to you. Alot of these are "extras" that I don't have room for and would just like to see go to a good home.

• pllove
    18 years ago

Megan, If the Lord's willing and the Devil doesn't hinder...I would Love to come! I have a few bromeliads I could bring. Please,just keep bugging me or remind me every couple of weeks to get me motivated. Should I pot them now ,or just bring them bare root ? Peggy

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Peggy - don't cut or dig them until the morning of the swap. Then just bring them bare root. I will fill a couple of 7 gallon cans with bromeliads.

• kaitlyn_wpb
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I'd love to join in. I've never been to one before, but they sound like fun. I can just see my husband's face now- more plants! Are slightly deranged spouses allowed in? I'll post a list of plants I'll bring when I talk my hubby into it :D

P.S.
    I'd love cannas if anyone has some to bring!!!

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

I'll bring chips and a big salad.

For plants I'll bring Cherimoya seedlings, Flamethrower Palms, Low-bearing Papayas, hopefully some rooted Mulberry cuttings, tomato starts, "American Beauty" Dragon Fruit cuttings, and whatever else I can spare.

Does anyone need "Condo Mango" scions to graft to their own trees? If so, contact me. I have Fairchild, Mallika, Ice Cream, Lancetilla and Cogshall.

Lisa

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Lisa - save me a Flamethrower Palm, and let me know what you'd like in trade!

• Dale9
    18 years ago

WOW. Go away for a few weeks and look whats going on. I would love to come to this swap. I have a few things started and am now in the process of cutting back and doing up more starts. I'll get a list together as soon as possible. This will be great.
    Dale

• kaitlyn_wpb
    18 years ago

Yay!!! I'm going, and DH will come along to help pick out trades. We'll bring chips and salsa for everyone. As for plants, I'll be bringing the following for sure:
    porterweed (purple)
    elephant ears (common green)
    tall, red pinecone ginger
    plantain trees
    aloe (petrophila?)
    aloe (camperi?)
    bromeliads
    canna indica
    Plus I've got lots of seeds I'll be planting in September, so whatever else I grow extra of and can fit in my car :)

• sdooner
    18 years ago

I live in Lake Worth, but it seems this will be worth the drive:)

I will tentatively confirm and will bring a side like potato salad/macaroni salad.

Plants I will bring include:
    Cannas
    Dusty Miller
    Snow on the Mountain
    Hibiscus cuttings (various)
    Bamboo Dracaena
    Snake PLant
    Fern cuttings
    Plumbago cuttings
    Tibouchina cuttings

• junglebaby
    18 years ago

Megan,
    I'll be there. Got to get busy digging, too. Hope to be bringing

African/walking Iris (yellow)
    Aromatic ginger
    various orchid shoots
    various ferns
    Oyster Plant
    Banana plant sprouts (3 varieties)
    Various bromeliads
    whatever else we can think of to dig up
    junglebaby aka Gussie

• mistiaggie
    18 years ago

This looks like fun. I''ll have to put it on my calendar. Not sure what I have at the moment. I'll try and get some things together if I have time.

• pllove
    18 years ago

OK .kids...I have lots of plants...but,VERY big cold feet! LOL...any suggestions ? Peggy

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Sorry gang but I'm not going to be able to make it. It's not often that I let business get in the way of pleasure but there's just too much money in this one. I'll be out of the state that weekend. Hopefully before the end of the year or in the early spring I'll have a plant swap & barbecue here in Boca Raton. Stay tuned!

• pieceofparadise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In light of the devestation Katrina has caused, I will be collecting/delivering ANYTHING anyone wants to bring, for the vicitms. I know the folks in Louisiana and Alabama have a long road ahead of them,and sadly, I doubt things will be any where near normal by October 16. It's been almost a year since Frances & Jeanne hit here, and we still have blue roofs in my neighborhood. If anyone wants to bring water,canned goods,manual can openers, toiletries, hygeine items,baby wipes, blankets, OFF, toothpaste, toothbrushes,ready to eat tuna cracker snack pack things..anything at all...I'll make sure they get there. I have a friend who owns an 18 wheeler/semi truck willing to haul goods up there.

Megan

• pieceofparadise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We're up to sixteen participants for the swap! Awesome! Fawnridge-sorry your plans changed. Bring your pruners and some grocery plastic bags-things I don't get propagated you can dig/chop to take home. So far I have rooted and pottted-
    Brugmansia-Peach-2-may have B. Charles Grimaldi and B. Super Nova
    Giant Begonia-4
    Crinum Lily-Pink-5
    Acalypha sp.-1 (purplish red, whorled leaves, serrated edge)
    Giant purple Porterweed-Stachytarpheta mutabilis-6
    Turk's Cap-Malaviscus arborea-4
    Mexican Flame Vine-Senecio confusus-2-have many seeds also
    Tri-color Oyster plants-3-new? cultivar-white with lavender & green stripes
    Butterfly Bush-Clerodendrum ugandese-2
    Red Stem Elephant Ear-Alocasia esculentes "Red Stem" -5
    Candle Bush-Senna atala-2
    Ti plants-Cordylines-assorted, not the common ones from HD-7
    Heliconias-A few potted/literally THOUSANDS in the ground, you dig-Heliconia-classic small orange-most likely Heliconia psittacorum Choconiana
    Red/Yellow-most likely H. p. Lady Di
    Orange to red,like a sunset-possibly H. p. Andromeda
    If some of the more exotic varieties keep spreading-H.? Yellow Christmas,
    H. rostrata-Lobster Claw,
    H. ? bright red pendant type

• katkin_gw
    18 years ago

Hi Megan, save a butterfly bush for me please and let me know what you want.

• Lynn_Z9
    18 years ago

I'm very excited to be coming (DH even wants to come !!) We have never been to a swap before!! Plan on bringing brownies to share.
    Unfortunately many of my cuttings didnt like all the rain last week and look a little sick, but I'm going to work on more this weekend.
    Megan - you were going to try to root a giant milkweed for me ... did it take ?
    I will post back when I figure out what I will have for trade.

• mistiaggie
    18 years ago

I think we will end up making this one! I'll start making a list of things I can bring and start rooting some stuff soon. I'll probably at least have four golden lotus banana's rooted by then.

• mistiaggie
    18 years ago

Alright here is what i have:

Golden lotus banana pups (4)
    Royal poinciana seedlings (4)
    Dwarf pineapple top, newly planted in pot (1)
    Key lime seedling (1)
    Orange seedling (1, possibly 2)
    Lime seeding (1)
    Kalanchloe (sp?)/mother of thousands (lots!)
    Suriname cherry seedling (2)
    Possibly a few cuttings of purple sweet potato vine
    Purple hyancinth bean seed pods
    May bring several other types of seeds.

I'm a small container gardener, so I don't know how much I will be able to trade!

• Lynn_Z9
    18 years ago

Looks like I am going to have to pass on the swap ... a "support a friend in need" request has been made, and she has been too good of a friend for me not to honor it.
    I hope everyone has a wonderful time ... I will be thinking about you.

• mistiaggie
    18 years ago

I have a pink flowered bougie that I am bringing. Hopefully someone has room for it. It's in a pot, but it never does good for me. :(

• cdbinfl
    18 years ago

I recently moved back to Jupiter after spending the last 5 years in CT. I was invloved in several plant swaps in CT and even hosted one myself. I would love to meet some local gardeners! Believe it or not, I was even a tropical gardener in CT. I loved going out to the greenhouse in the snow and sitting there in the warmth surrounded by orchids, and all my tropical plants and pretending I was back in Florida.

I will go outside and make a list of what I can divide, dig up, clip off and bring.

Right off the bat, I have a huge pot of mature Bouganvilla, the typical hot pink variety. The previous owner of the house we bought left it in a pot and stuck it out back in amongst a lot of trees. We had to cut all the branches off to get it out of the trees it was wedged in between, but it is growing back and filling out very nicely. I also have tons of psiticorum type Heliconia and the stadard variety of elephant ear.

Mistiaggia, I would love, love, love one of your Golden Louts banana pups.

I will bring a potato sald or pasta salad.

Cherie

• jcreef
    18 years ago

I'll be attending with Chris and Misty :)
    I am offering some seeds of the rare Ursulaea macvaughii. There are only two plants in this genus... and they are truely AMAZING! really breathtaking.. the inflorecense actually looks like if it has snow on it.. Well its actually scurf wich looks like velvety snow. ALSO take in note that the inflorecense is large about 2' long you can imagine the beauty! I am looking for anything uncommon, or cool. Let me know what you have!!

Here are two pictures from 'FCBS'

Thank you,

-Jc
    I any one is interested e-mail me at Jcreef@bellsouth.net

• cdbinfl
    18 years ago

Is this a private swap? I feel badly now that I invited myself and no one has responded.

Cherie

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Cherie, as far as I know, the swap is for any interested Garden Web member.

Welcome back to Jupiter! I'm in the farms. Would love to have you visit here.

See you at the swap for sure!

Lisa

• cdbinfl
    18 years ago

Thanks Lisa,

I am in the Farms as well, we could be neighbors!

I will send an e-mail to Megan since she is hosting to make sure she does not mind that I attend.

I will post a list tongiht of what I can bring.

Cherie

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Megan, where do we park? Can you describe your house please? I'm better at looking for a specific description than I am at counting as I drive(G).

What road do we turn right on?

Lisa

• cdbinfl
    18 years ago

Megan, Thanks for the e-mail. I will definitely attend. I will bring a potato or pasta salad and the following plants:

Large pot of Bouganvilla
    Canna Tropicana (1 or 2 rhizomes)
    Canna Pretoria (Bengal Tiger), 1 or 2 rhizomes
    Costus Spicatus (Indianhead Ginger) 3 starts
    Nobile type Dendrobium pups (unusual flower, have lost track of name, will look for picture)
    Monstera Deliciosa (Swiss Cheese Plant)
    Clerodendrum thomsoniae (Bleeding Heart vine)rooted cutting
    Fishtail Palm Seedlings (I have tons of these popping up)
    White Butterfly Ginger (smells great) 1 or 2 rhizomes
    Walking Iris (white)
    Xanthosoma Albo marginata variegata (Mickey Mouse taro)
    Colocasia esculenta (violet stem taro) small starts
    Colocasia Illustris (small starts)
    Alocasia Hilo Beauty (if I can get apart without destroying mother plant)
    Unknown Alocasia (dark leaves looks like Plumbea Nigra, but not sure)
    Unknown elephant ear- slightly smaller and darker than the ordinary green ones

I also have the following available. If anyone wants any of this let me know and I will make sure to bring:
    Cuttings: Scarlet Passion Vine, Passion Vine "Jeannette", Thunbergia Grandiflora
    Ordinary Green Elephant Ears
    Psiticorum type Heliconia
    Adonida palm Seedlings (lot of them popping up under trees)

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

Cherie

• msmarion
    18 years ago

Does anyone know what time this swap starts? I have a meeting at 11:30 that I can't miss, but I so want to attend to meet you all and soak up your knowlege.
    Thanks,
    Marion

• katkin_gw
    18 years ago

Hi All, I have been busy painting and haven't gotten back to look at this, but I'll be there. Katlyn,WPB I have cannas for you I'll divide, plus the other plants I mentioned earlier. Email me anyone, if there is anything else I have that you want.

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

I found the exact directions and time for the swap. All I had to do was to look around a bit more(G).

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap info

• pieceofparadise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll put signs out at the end where you turn right off of Hwy 714/36th St and one by my mailbox that says GardenWeb Party. Don't want any garage sale folks thinking it's a plant sale. I have a circular driveway and figured everyone can just pull around until there's no more room. The one swap I went to everyone put their plants by their cars, but we have several tables we can use. I've never hosted one before, what has everyone else done with their plants at swaps? Swap is 10a.m. until whenever. Does everyone want name tags?

Megan

• meredith22
    18 years ago

Megan, my DH and I are hoping to come, too, and think name tags would be a great idea as they help everyone to get to know one another. :-) I look forward to seeing everyone from the PSL area again and meeting lots of new faces! :-)
    Meredith22

• meredith22
    18 years ago

Forgot to mention. We'll be bringing a case of bottled water on ice.

RE plantlife, we'll have bromeliads, Mexican heather, ferns, butterfly plant, ruby grapefruit seedlings, possibly rooted Hawaiian vine cuttings and whatever else we manage to pull out of the garden by then for whoever wants them.

We're on the lookout for bamboo, banana pups (anybody have ice cream?), mulberries, papayas, short variety gingers & heliconias, crepe myrtle, any type of berry bushes and areca palms. Thanks!

• mistiaggie
    18 years ago

I have an ice cream banana Meredith. I'll be bringing one if I can dig it out!

• pieceofparadise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, JC, I want an Ursula....seed! Don't know if I have anything rare or weird you want, but..you can dig up what ever you want.

I was just re-reading the posts to get a head count/names, somehow I spaced Fawnridge was the one bringing the pulled pork..soo.. he can't come..are burgers and hotdogs okay with everyone? DH will be on a Harley poker run thing, so burgers and dogs will be easy for me and feed the masses. If you are vegetarian, please bring your own Bocaburgers or soy dogs, if you don't like boigers or dogs, bring your favorite lunch.
    I have a large boat cooler for ice,it'll be full of bottled water. If anyone wants sodas or iced tea, please speak up about that too, and I'll add some to the cooler.

As far as where everyone will put their plants....hmmm..I guess we'll play it by ear! It sure will be great to meet all the fellow GardenWeb citizens!

Megan

• katkin_gw
    18 years ago

I think name tags would be good. Some of us have never met before.

• mistiaggie
    18 years ago

I've never met anyone, so yeah name tags would be great! I'm so excited. Planning on labeling stuff I'm bringing tonight. :)

• cdbinfl
    18 years ago

I am bringng a folding table to put plants on. I started dividing stuff this afternoon and potting some stuff. Will finish up tomorrow and get things labeled.

Name tags are a great idea.

Cherie

• meredith22
    18 years ago

Mistiaggie, that would be great! Thanks so much! I've been wanting one for years. I hope your web name is on your nametag. Mine will be. :-)

• TriElysian
    18 years ago

Megan

If things work out I would like to join in on tomorrows swap,, I live in Stuart and would come over the palm city bridge are you back in that neighborhood to the left right after the bridge?

Thanks
    Peg

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

I'll bring a table/chairs and will have room to share space.

I have extra labels for plants if anyone needs them.

Freshly picked Miracle Fruits, and home-grown Lemons so you can try out the "miracle."

Megan, do you need paper plates/cups/bowls/plastic ware? Or anything else?

I've really been looking forward to meeting you all!

Lisa

• junglebaby
    18 years ago

TriElysian- Turn left at foot of bridge (Cornell) follow to 36th St., left to St Lucie Shores Dr., right to the signs.

Gus

• jcreef
    18 years ago

Had a great time at the plant trade, It was nice meeting you all, and thanks for all the wonderful plants!! For those of you that didnt get those bromeliad seeds I will be mailing them out tommorow!

-Jc

Sponsored