SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcarrier_gw

Houston to Opelousas fig (and pomegranate) foray

gcarrier
13 years ago

I have greatly enjoyed the educational and entertaining information on figs, especially those that grow well in my hometown of Port Barre near the Gulf Coast.

In planning to visit my family for the Easter weekend, I've contacted Durio's and received a nice reply from Dalton.

While he has Violette de Bordeaux and (possibly named) O'Rourke, he frankly stated that his Smith and Scott's Black haven't sized up for selling today, and he has no Scott's Yellow, White Triana, Col de Dame, or Dalmatie.

Yeah, I've consumed Dan's 2010 thread!

I will surely go to Durio's, and it looks like I may need to visit Mr. Robin as well.

If cuttings at this time would be successful, and anyone is on or nearby my Houston to Lafayette to Port Barre (and maybe Baton Rouge) trip that would part with cuttings of the above varieties, please let me know.

I already have Celeste, LSU Purple, and Banana (popular variety sold in Houston, but I see someone thinks it might be Kadota).

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• gcarrier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if Mr. Robin carries the above cultivars?

Thanks,
    Greg

• nkesh099
    13 years ago

I spoke to JR last night and he told me what he has now in his inventory. He does have the VDB,O'Rourke,Scott's blk and yellow and many more.
    He doesn't have the Col dD. I'm taking a road trip from Birmingham to LA this Saturday and will stop by JR and Dalton's nursery to pick up my trees.

• gcarrier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Navid,

Thanks for that information.

We might cross paths on Saturday at the nurseries. Feel free to send me an email via my profile if you'd like my cell number. I'm from the area. If you'd like fresh green cuttings of LSU Purple or (common) Celeste, I could bring you some. I'm working at getting more varieties, as you can tell.

Cheers!

• nkesh099
    13 years ago

gcarrier,

Can't send you any emails, its not activated on your profile.
    I am sure we might run to each other. JR has some other good varieties like, LSU Yellow (he calls it Brandy), Flanders, Cajun Honey, and Sct's blk for sale (plus many more). All those varities suppossed to be very sweet, you might want to consider those too.
    Also, Dalton told me that he would sell the Smith's he has for the full price of $20.00. He mentioned they have their own roots. Let me know if you have other questions.

• nkesh099
    13 years ago

gcarrier;

Thanks for the offer, I do have both of those trees.

Navid.

• gcarrier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Navid, for telling me about the email problem.

I wish you the best on your trip!