SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

How Do You Define Your Edges?

Nell Jean
16 years ago

One landscape designer advocates "Define Your Edges" and a magazine editor showed his garden with an edging of 'Suzy Wong' daylilies, too tall for my taste. I'm 'sperimenting with 'Little Business' and 'Sammy Russell' in the Red Bed -- wish I had enough 'Little Grapette' to edge a purple bed.

Does anybody edge with a double course of brick? Soldiers or Sailors with a flat brick row in front of the standing bricks? Or a Dogtooth edge? I usually just make a running row of buried flat bricks for the mower to run on. Then they sink into the dirt and have to be renovated.

English Edging -- where you dig a trench in hopes the grass won't jump over. I've filled my trenches with pine straw mulch or wood chips sometimes.

Many, many plants are listed in cataloges as good for 'Border Edging.' Which are your favs? Mine is dianthus (pinks) spilling over stones.

There's always good ol' liriope. Tim Bell the daylily breeder uses liriope to edge his daylily beds and the photos are spectacular.

Please share your creative edges.

Nell

Comments (40)

• Bamateacha
    16 years ago

Oh Nell! You ask the absolutely best questions! I have been looking hard at my little baby garden and wondering what to do along the edges. I posted a picture (a little of this and a little of that thread) of our garden gazebo and you can see the little stone walls we've started around some of the shade garden beds.

I am so looking forward to ideas and I'd love to see pictures (maybe on the gallery side?) Could we have the discussion here and then maybe you could make a thread for pictures to be shared on the gallery side? I must confess I'm a bit confused over the proper way to handle discussions and pictures. But I'm a visual person and the pictures help me gather ideas. :)

• irene_dsc
    16 years ago

I didn't know I was using English Edging, but that's what I'm doing! I figure that since I intend my main borders to grow every year, it's silly to spend a lot of money and time on stuff I'll just have to move, or worse, have to try to match.

• Related Discussions

How do you edge your flower beds?

Q

Comments (20)
    I gave my husband the trenching job. We gave up on the black rubber edging. Bricks IÂd like but until I start doing it myself, it wonÂt happen. Our main bed is a big raised one with landscape blocks, I think I burned him out on that one 4 years ago. (We didnÂt install the blocks ourselves but did everything else including move and replant all the perennials.) We have been doing the trenched edge for all the other beds. The one problem I have with that is that it seems to get wider each year. I never seem to be there when heÂs doing it, so I donÂt know if this is what normally happens. It seems like to get a clean cut he has to move back a few inches into the lawn. I find myself with a new bare area around the perimeter of each bed, that then I feel needs filling. Considering IÂd already installed edging plants, IÂd rather not. He does the edges twice a year, in between I go in and pull out any grass or weeds that seed or jump in. I just bought a proper half moon edger, before that he used a small shovel. Will that make a difference? Or is it part of what happens with this system, that the bed gets gradually wider?
    ...See More

how do you define a cottage garden?

Q

Comments (15)
    I think that a cottage garden can be almost anything you want it to be, that's part of the point. Loads of different flowers, plants, setups, and structures can make up a cottage garden. Or it could have none. Veggies. Roses. Herbs. Perennials. Annuals. Pool of water. Arbor. Garden rooms. Benches. Statues. Just about anything goes. It is the least definable of gardens, and the most personal (i think). As far as I can tell, the only real "requirement" for a cottage garden is a lush landscape. Cottage gardens are full, almost overflowing, with plants, flowers and colour. They are not bare, they are not well-spaced, there are not too many bare mulched areas between plants :) They are crowded and somewhat (if not completely) undisciplined. That's the fun of it all!
    ...See More

How do you define a good (or great) cook?

Q

Comments (23)
    Like some of you have said, I don't consider myself a good cook. I am an OK recipe follower and I like to eat good food, so I cook. My aunt is a good cook. She can put together a meal out of nothing. It's really amazing, she goes in the kitchen, putters around and you really have no idea what she is doing in there and it seems like nothing, and then she pulls out an amazing meal. She has a great sense of taste and texture and what to make out of what. She is not a fancy, gourmet cook, her food just tastes good. I have also noted that she creates thing bit by bit, which is why it seems like she pulls meals out of nowhere. She starts a dish in the AM or the day before and does some aspect of cooking it and then just keeps going at odd times. She has a grand scheme of her kitchen and food and pantry in her mind. I'm always amazed by her, because she doesn't have fancy serving ware or antyhing, she can serve up the best dessert on a chipped dime store plate. And nothing fancy either, but she knows what pleases. Like when my dad or her son come to her house for a visit, blintzes will be made . . . On the other hand, practice makes perfect if you have a good palate. I am not too shabby with rice, beans, pasta and soup, because I make them constantly. I now have a tasty repertoire of taste combos and techniques in my mind. So some of it is just good taste, knowing what works for your tried and true favorites. That's my biggest problem actually, my sense of adventure. For every "Wow that was good!" concoction that I try, there are three or four "Meh's" and a sometimes a "Yuk." I dunno, perhaps a great cook never goes there . . . but it is my domain most of the time.
    ...See More

What defines how you categorize *your house?

Q

Comments (21)
    I have been looking for years, too. Now more intensely because we sold our house and are living in a furnished apt. I'm not a shoes off in the house person, but because this place has that awful cheap, light colored carpet I'm going shoeless and I've injured my toes. I need a house. There are mini-blinds in the bedroom: it's not dark in there. A couple of years ago we found 3 nests one Spring, scattered about the lawn. One was a big, mud-fortified robin's with an escape hatch where there must have been a supporting branch, one a sweet, perfect, feathery finch's, and the third was in between. Figured it was an omen. So when I found a property with a regular house, a mobile home and a really cool tree/guest house I thought maybe we should take it. DH didn't agree and I didn't feel that strongly about it. I keep trying to figure out a business where I could make this search process easier. I'd like to rich while I'm homeless. So the rental will be for you to live in?
    ...See More
  • aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

I have three types of edging in my garden. When I did the garden section behind the shed I used landscape ties to edge the walks, to step up or step down as the yard is sloped. these sections are filled with gravel. In parts it looks O.K. but I don't like the look of it edging the flower beds, it's coming out eventually. Other beds are edged with rock, I love this effect, always on the lookout for nicely shaped rocks for the garden. Finally, I just bought the best edger ever, it slices through turf like a hot knife going through butter. This I'm using in the front yard on the edges of a expanding flower border. I love the clean crisp edge effect it's producing. On the other hand, slightly raised beds with flowers spilling onto slowly curved paths are so enchanting. Hmmm, where can I put one of those in, I need a bigger yard.

Annette

• fammsimm
    16 years ago

I wish I could remember the name of the rock we used, but it's been quite a few years since they were purchased. Senior moment??? ;-)

Basically it's a thick rock that has been cut and shaped to resemble various sizes of brick. The rocks vary in length and width and have held up very well over the years. I like that rustic look.

Nell, I really need to do what you have done - running row of flat buried bricks. I sure would like to eliminate some of that trimming -against- the rocks stuff!

Marilyn

• deborahz7
    16 years ago

One bed has rock and all the others are English Edging, though I too didn't know it had a name. I'm just trying to keep DH from weed whacking my plants! On Gardeners Diary alot of the folks use flowers as edging. I recall a creeping thyme I liked alot and geraniums. Since I know I will be moving alot of things around I hesitate to do that though.

Now that I think about it though I have Nasturtiums as somewhat of an edge in one bed. I meant to go all the way to the end but ran out of seeds.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I made a thread in the Gallery for your photos.

Like many of you, the edges of my beds expand and contract, so I like using temporary edgings. A cement curb or a brick edge that was cemented with a mow strip would be neat, though, wouldn't it?

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery Thread

• faltered
    16 years ago

I've tried a couple of the methods you mentioned. First, I had the "trench" but my grass crept right through it into my garden bed. I had to re-dig the trench every few weeks, which was too much work for me.

Then I moved up to black plastic lining. It was not only a pain to install, but after each winter it's heaved up out of the ground. It takes me a few days to re-work it to get it back where it needs to be. And quite frankly, it's just getting on my nerves.

At the new place, I think I'm going to try bricks or something more permanent. Several gardeners here have them and with plants spilling over the edges, they can look quite cottagey.

Tracy

• triciae
    16 years ago

I use the English trench method for all of the beds. We have an edger that cuts the trench. We only have to do it twice/season to keep it sharp & crisp. Then, I use "edging" plants in lengths of 3, 5, and 7 to define the borders. So, it goes something like this...3 huechera 'Palace Purple' (part sun/shade), then 7 Lavendula 'Munstead Dwarf' (full sun), then 7 Huechera 'Fire-Fly' (back to part sun/shade). Then, I start over again. Each bed is lined with 3 different plants put in with the 3, 5, & 7 thing. It gives the garden continuity yet still variety. I like the structure it gives the beds.

I don't like bricks or rocks. I think it's hard to keep the grass out.

Tricia

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    16 years ago

I can't show pictures right now, my digital needs to go to doctor! But I have a couple different types of edges.

The first one I did about 4 years ago, when I got back into gardening. I dug a trench, about 4" or 5" deep, lined it with strips of landscape cloth, then filled it with stones. The stones are what I call "Journey stones" my DH and I do a lot of traveling for my business. Each trip we take, we stop somewhere and pick up a rock. Usually from along the interstate somewhere!

The second edge I have, I did the same thing, except I didn't use the landscape cloth. And instead of stones or rocks, I used old brick I found here on our old homestead,I put them into the trench with the narrow side up, lined up next to each other, at a bit of an angle, the low side next to the grass. I love love love this border! But I ran out of old bricks. BUT I recently discovered an old farmstead about 4 miles from me, there is an old collasped brick house, with tons of old bricks laying there. I just need to find out who owns it, and see if I can get permission to reuse some of the bricks. It would involve picking up and hauling them about 50 feet to a vehicle, through some woods, and over a small ditch. But I feel it would be worth it.

The 3rd border is just the trench, filled with wood mulch. Mainly because I am cheap, and don't want to go out and buy bricks. I ran out of rocks, and haven't had time to do anything else!

Jenny P

• mrmorton
    16 years ago

Here at work we call it Spade edging. I suppose it is the same as the English edging. I go around all my beds with a shovel about once every 6-8 weeks. I'll use the weed whacker to freshen up the edges in between.

As for border plants, these are my favorites:

Dianthus
    Geranium - lower varieties like Karmina or Max Frei
    Coreopsis 'Moonbeam'
    Catmint
    Snow-in-summer
    Some Salvias even work, although for the most part they belong in the middle of a typical cottage planting. 'Purple Rain' and 'Blue Hills' would be 2 I recommend.

• mary_lu_gw
    16 years ago

I guess I have all of the above mentioned edgings in the yard. In fact just this week I was "playing" with a rock edging in the garden room. Not sure if it will stay or not. Don't have enough rocks to do it all, but maybe just some of the areas.

In the yard side I have railroad ties around the holding garden, strawberry bed and raspberry bed. Around the beds next to the house I have old brick standing on end at different heights and on the large daylily bed along the side walk I have the trench/English/spade edging. They all work differently and create different maintenance problems as mentioned above.

Will see if I can find some pics and post on the gallery thread.
    Marylu

• Bamateacha
    16 years ago

Annette, I'm curious--what is the edger you bought?

Nell, thanks for the gallery thread. The pictures already there are beautiful and making me want to get busy on my own beds!

Tricia, I like the idea of the 3, 5, 7 pattern to add some variety yet continuity as well.

Jenny, I absolutely adore the idea of journey stones. What a neat idea!

Question--I was thinking of trying some candytuft. It's evergreen, flowering, and low-growing, right? I noticed no one else mentioned using it. What are the negatives about it?

*racing back to the gallery thread to look at the pictures*

• irene_dsc
    16 years ago

Bamateacha - I used to have candytuft. I don't think I'd try to use it as an edger, because mine tended to self-seed all over the place, which isn't a quality I tend to think of in edgers! I also didn't really like how it looked when it wasn't in bloom, so I started pulling it out as I saw it. Btw, up here it wasn't evergreen - maybe it is by you!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Bamateacha, I just love this edger, it's stainless steel, got a lifetime guarantee, above all it doesn't bend when you step down on it, and, the handle is so easy on the hands. The link below will show you what it looks like

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: My new edger

• Bamateacha
    16 years ago

Thanks Annette. I'll check that one out.

Irene, I think it is evergreen here, but your statement about how it self-seeds and spreads is enough to alarm me. :)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If the candytuft we're speaking of is Iberis, it is evergreen here and was, in Atlanta. The evergreen feature is a plus in mid-winter. I've never seen a seedling, but I shear mine after it blooms. Mine is in part shade.

Nell

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

Rocks or the trench style.

I like mowing and weed whacking (yes I said that, stop laughing) but that dang bermuda still sneaks in so I'm going to have to figure out someway to combine the 2.

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

I have well defined structural boarders which I am glad for. My paths are almost all loose gravel, and in a few other areas I just feel the need to define walkways from planted areas...(I plant the walkways too, I just need to keep plants seperate for the eye and for use).
    So I have a lot of brick in the 'main' garden. Some reclaimed concrete thin pieces turned on their side in other areas. Bottles in others. Reclaimed stacked concrete in all new areas. It sounds hodge podge but each area has it's own edging and it works in this small garden.

GGG

• Bamateacha
    16 years ago

Nell, how long is the bloom period for your candytuft?

• triciae
    16 years ago

Iberis also spreads quickly. So, it requires shearing right after bloom to prevent self-seeding & also a couple times/season to keep it from overflowing its bounty into the turfgrass and/or pathways. I don't find it a good edging plant...too much maintenance. I like it better used the same way as phlox subulata.

Pulmonaria works well as an edger but needs to be sheared after spring bloom so it grows fresh foliage for the remainder of the season.

One of my favorites is Geranium 'Biokovo'. Plus, it has the added benefit of nicely fragrant foliage. The flowers are a soft pink & plentiful. The plant mounds nicely & is evergreen, in my Zone 7 garden. Nice plant...

Tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium 'Biokovo'

• hopflower
    16 years ago

No. I am English and had never hard of that name for an edge. The things they attribute to us!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bamateacha, Candytuft is already blooming when the azaleas bloom late March. I cut it back sometime in early May. Mine is not in a rich bed, maybe that's why it doesn't spread and become a pest. I looked for photos, found none where you could really distinguish it from the sweet william growing with it.

It sounds as is the farther north it grows, the heartier it is.

Maybe later I can find the book where I read about 'English edging.' We could change it to 'Camilla, GA edging' for the place where I first saw it used.

Nell

• memo3
    16 years ago

All of my beds are edged in bricks inside the yard. They do require some work to keep grasses and weeds (I have no real grass yet) from growing beween them since they aren't cemented together. I have purchased some PREEN and I plan to sprinkle it between each brick and sweep it into the cracks of the brick sidewalk to see if it will actually keep weeds from sprouting there. I'll let you know. If it does the intended job it would sure make brick and rock edging both more user friendly. I love the look of the bricks!

MeMo

• lavendrfem
    16 years ago

I've used the dwarf blue ageratum as an edging. They filled out nicely and bloomed well into fall. I've also used that rubberized edging that's made out of tires or something? (I've seen it at home improvement stores). You use landscape pins to stick it into the ground around the bed.

At the other house, we had so much rock that whenever I dug a new bed, I used the stones to line it. Right now at this house, I'm using the brick scalloped edging and trenches.

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

Edging is the bane of my existence... among other things. ;-)

For the last eight months, I've had chicken wire surrounding all my beds and covering every bare scrap of soil. Chicken wire is my last resort effort to keep my neighbor's cats out of my beds. My neighbor must not feed a decent brand of food, because each of her three cats poop at least five times a day over here. It was not only unsightly, but I believe it was also a huge health hazard-- can't tell you how many times I've pulled out a weed, only to have the stuff smeared all over my hands. I am so tired of the wire. I just can't stand it.

Even before the wire, I was having a difficult time with edges. I've got both a weed wacker and an edger, which works really well.... except that when using either, the clippings blow all over the place! HOW do you guys prevent clippings from flying into your beds? I just don't get it.

Sign me,

Whiney & Frustrated ;-)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    16 years ago

LOL, I leave the clippings on the beds! In fact I blow them into my beds on purpose. It makes for good mulch, and adds organic material to my soil.

Jenny P

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

I wish my clippings ended up on the soil itself, but they don't-- they cover all of the plants themselves. I guess I shouldn't let this get to me. The bigger problem is the wire. My edges are totally overgrown and in need of trimming, but I'll have to go in and remove the wire first, edge, then put it all back.

Nancy

• rivers1202
    16 years ago

Nancy (madhabitz) ~ I had similar issues with my neighbor's cats. He allows his female cat to breed time and time again....she roams the neighborhood freely, as do her offspring, pooping in everyone's yard but their own.
    Anyway, I tried everything to keep them out and what finally worked is the plastic garden fencing/mesh - it's black and looks kinda like the mesh you use on fruit trees and bushes to keep the birds away, but it's heavier.
    I place it on the open areas of ground around my plants and stake it into place using metal landscape pins....you just need a couple at the edges for each piece of mesh you place down. The pins looks like giant staples.

It works like a dream. Cats won't get too close to your larger plants to do their business because they are freaked out having something touching them while they're at it. So you really only need to put it in areas which have enough room for the cats to move around and dig a potty hole. The mesh keeps them from digging because their claws get snagged in it, which they hate. It only takes a time or two before they get frustrated and find another place (some other poor neighbor's defenseless garden) to do their nasty business.

You can find the plastic mesh at most garden centers.
    I put a light layer of mulch over the mesh to conceal it a bit better but it really isn't necessary - the mesh is black and very fine and isn't an eye sore like chicken wire. It's also easy to lift up the pieces to cultivate around the plants when necessary.
    Seriously, the cats have not pooped in my yard since I installed the mesh. I wish I'd discovered it sooner.

OK...back on topic. I use concrete edging blocks to edge my beds. Well, all of them except my xeric bed, which is edged in red brick. Grass will sneak through the spaces between the bricks but is fairly easy to pull out and keep neat. The concrete edging blocks are also a brick color but let me tell ya....they are a MAJOR pain to work with. They're heavy and it's back-breaking work moving them around to edge a new bed. However, they look very nice once in place. Another plus is that I didn't have to use many of them because they're so large.
    I'll try to post a photo tomorrow.

Renee

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

Renee, this mesh -- is it the stuff that has something like 3/4" holes? If so, I might just try your idea. I've tried just about everything else. Tried the sprays-- they work for about a day, then you have to spray again. I tried it for three weeks at a cost of about $45. Couldn't afford to keep going with it. Then I got a brainstorm to plant toothpicks. I embedded over 4,000 of them (ends up), but it didn't make one bit of difference-- the cats just pooped right on top of them!

I've tried and tried talking to this woman, but she's just plain nuts. She's much like your neighbor, in that the one female she has just had her first litter of six kittens and just got "caught" again by her unfixed male.... so I expect more kittens shortly.

Thanks Renee!

Nancy

• lorinscott_1
    16 years ago

In the long bed along the side of the backyard we've used landscaping rocks for edging. A few different species of sedum are spilling over the tops of them; we also use other low-growing plants like a dwarf Walker's Low catmint, cranesbill, creeping jenny and star jasmine. In our other smaller semi-shade beds we've used baby tears, Australian violets and lamium....and in one area, pet grass for the pups and cats.

• rivers1202
    16 years ago

Nancy ~ here is a photo of the mesh. I purchased it at Lowe's as bird netting/shrub protection. It was about 6 dollars per roll and I only needed one roll for my purposes. The deer netting is twice that price, but still fairly inexpensive. The metal landscaping anchor pins were approx. 10 dollars - only needed one box. So for less than 20 bucks, I solved my cat problem.

Good Luck!
    Renee

PS - you tried toothpics! LOL. I tried those long wood bbq skewers to keep them out (pointy side up) and it worked. But I have 2 young children (4 yrs & 7 yrs) so it was too dangerous to keep the skewers in the beds. The netting is a better alternative as it won't hurt anyone and it's cheap.

{{gwi:690962}}

{{gwi:690963}}

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

Oh Renee, you're a peach for going to all of this trouble!!! I just bought a roll of plastic fencing last week-- had some vague desperate idea of fencing the whole place off. Then it hit me how much work that would be (post holes), plus the fact that I'd still be in the same spot trying to edge the grass. I don't think this stuff is as light-weight, so I think I will take mine back and get the bird netting. Gads, it'll be so much easier to deal with than the wire!

Yup, did the toothpicks. ;-) Before that I tried clothespin halves buried ends-up and the BBQ skewers. The BBQ skewers have actually become really handy little tools around the garden, so they weren't a total waste. I can see you not wanting to have them out there with your younguns-- the thought of a kid stepping or falling on one gives me the shivers. Too, for some kids they would be way too tempting a weapon (lol... my own guys when they were little).

Thank you so much, Renee!

Nancy

• rivers1202
    16 years ago

Nancy ~ you're quite welcome & it was no problem at all. I hope it works out and the cats stop using your garden as a litter box. The mesh material is easy to use, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I check this forum almost daily.

Take Care,
    Renee

• fammsimm
    16 years ago

There is a cat in our neighborhood who I almost wish would use the flower beds because his preference is to perch on the edge of one of my large flowerpots and do his thing.

Since these flowerpots are right at the entryway of our house, it looks..to say the least..unappealing to visitors! I'm having good luck with sprinkling dried red peppers around his favorite spot as a deterrent.

I think edging preferences correspond to the type of grasses that are grown in your climate. Some of the vining, hot weather grasses are really difficult to control and keep in bounds, so I've found that a hard barrier ( metal, rock, brick etc.) is the best way to go.

Marilyn

• deborahz7
    16 years ago

The mesh is a great idea! Thank You! I'm having the same problem but with my own cats. I already have some of that and will put it out tonite if its not raining. I do hope its still raining though because we need it.

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

I just checked my package of plastic fencing material and immediately realized that I told tall tales. Mine IS labeled fencing, but it looks exactly like yours except for being just a tad thinner and it's gray. It's 50ft x 36" high and the price was close to ten dollars. This is going to work so much better than the chicken wire.

Thanks again!

Nancy

• gail_ish
    16 years ago

We live in an old log home, so I edge with fallen logs or old fence posts around all my beds. When I started it was because it was fast & easy. I had planned to change them out eventually with stone, which we have lots of piles around the farm. But with hundreds of feet of beds, I needed something quicker. But now theyÂre growing on me, so I donÂt know if I will. Most summers IÂm still battling the weeds & trying to get all my winter-sown/spring-sown/summer-sown seeds out, plus all the renovations weÂre doing to the house, so the rock thing is a project for a year or 2 from now, if at all.

Most of them are a foot in diameter, so itÂs very bold. And the gray matches the gray of the house, so it looks like theyÂve been there forever. It also creates a raised bed effect, so I have been filling in with compost & wood chips to bring it up closer to the top level. This year, I put down newspaper around the plants before the woodchips, because I did that in a couple of the beds last year, and they are still suppressing the weeds this year.

• shellva
    16 years ago

I guess I do the "English edging" of a trench with the mulch spilling down into it. One of my favorite edging plants are strawberries. I love the foliage plus I get fruit!

I've only used the strawberry idea for one bed. The rest are edged flowerwise with whatever catches my eye. Marigolds, petunias, forget-me-nots, California poppies, convovulus. Pretty much anything I can grow from seed myself. I didn't get any 'Blue Daze' convolvulus this year. I had too much good luck with winter sowing to justify paying the prices for already growing plants. Yeah, I'm getting to be a cheapskate in my old age!

I like using annuals for my edges so this way I'm not locked in year after year with a certain look yet the rest of the bed roughly remains the same.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gail and Shell, I agree with using what you have, and sowing seeds.

Sometimes there are plants that you really, really want that are not convenient or nigh impossible to grow from seeds. Most of the time, it's a choice between a spectacular splash of a more common plant, or a specimen plant of something rare. When there's a large space to fill, it usually takes the big seed-grown splash.

Nell

• giardinierven
    16 years ago

Where my beds are next to lawn, I spade edge once in the spring and keep it trimmed with the lawn mower the rest of the season. Most of the garden consists of exposed aggregate paths- no need for edging, or gravel paths between the beds. The gravel paths are edged with fieldstone- plentiful in this farm country except on my farm. But most farms locally have piles of stones located on the roadside to pilfer freely!

The gravel paths go into the forest with fieldstone edging till they round a curve and then the fallen boughs edging starts in the forest near the house. this is fun- I collect fallen boughs of varying length and diameter in different piles after trimming sidebranches off. When I need the ''edging'' I go to the nearest stack, grab a bough that looks good and carry it along the path till it fits in the curve or along the straight. In the Westcoast rainforest, the boughs decompose, become moss covered and also grow ferns and other plants. The forest paths are packed earth that I run over occasionally with the rideon mulcher.

Planting is varied along the edges... I'm 6'2'', 187cm...bending over to admire plants is not my thing. I edge with tall and medium plants and (try to) make tunnel effects thru the borders with different plants in focus depending on the viewing angle. This works best serendipitously despite my best efforts.

... Don

Sponsored