SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

looking for a good home: an east coast monkey puzzle

davidrt28 (zone 7)
10 years ago

I have become aware of a semi-mature Monkey Puzzle whose future could be threatened. I have a picture of it and it looks to be about 15' tall. The land it is on has been purchased by a commercial entity that will likely have little interest in maintaining the plant...it is bound for a kind of redevelopment, but not residential development where there might be an interest in retaining it. I'm not disclosing its information yet for fear of someone trying to poach it. It is growing in a solidly zn 7 location within 75 miles of Wilmington, Delaware.

I contacted Longwood Gardens about it and they told me that attempting to rescue it would be against their "plant collection policy", which strikes me as slightly bizarre but it is what it is. I'm going to contact a few other entities I think might take an interest and I'll update this thread in a couple weeks. In the meantime if you have serious suggestions for saving it, please post them here, or, if necessary, contact me through gardenweb.

There have only been about 3 known to truly become mature on the east coast (Barnes in Philly, at a mansion in Delaware that was cut down, and the one in the suburbs of DC). I found an article going back to the 1930s attesting to their difficulty in cultivation in our climate. That this one has survived recent hot wet/dry alternating summers and looks flawless is a testament to its good genes IMHO.

Comments (28)