SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

WANTED: Have: stuff of amateurs

Ok, This post is not for most of y'all because you're all growing really impressive and difficult stuff to grow.

I'm looking for the rookies like me. I have been learning to air layer and grow various things from cuttings and seed. I don't have anything any of the pros here need or want. But maybe there are some budding amateurs like me who are filling out the hedge (like me) and would like to trade a few easy basics.

Here's what I have:

Pride of Barbados, also called dwarf ponciana, blooms outrageously. Stunning. Has thorns.

Persian shield (seems to me best kept at about 1 foot high.)

Unusual crotons (more interesting than the ones you find at HD, but still basically crotons. I have a weeping variety that's really pretty, and the easiest to root.)

Golden dewdrop (a native that has lovely purple blue flowers that I often see a Tiger Swallowtail on, and other butterflies. but it has a wild growth habit.)

Chinese orange (i'm told these are one of the few oranges that grow true from seed. They're tiny, sour and good for marinades or cocktails. prolific and easy)

Jasmine

Chenille

sapodilla (mine is a giant tree, with amazing fruit. the little seedlings I have will take a long time to make a tree like mine, but it's a beautiful tree and if you have the time and the space, I have seedlings.)

plumeria cuttings (mine is a little distressed, and I'd warn away from its cuttings, but they've already made trees in friends' yards, so I figure it's fine. Mine is a very standard light pink.)

Random heliconia: I have a basic red with white/yellow inserts, an orange with blue inserts and a nice red with orange inserts, but they're all really basic, and prolific.

Giant heliconia: I have one that has leaves the size of bananas, with gorgeous red and yellow flowers a foot high or more, except they flower deep inside the plant, so you have to cut them and bring them in the house to really enjoy them. But, it's huge, easily 20 feet high by 25 or 30 feet wide. And makes a nice screen. But a bit difficult to dig.)

What I'd love to have:

a native florida pepper plant

A brug cutting, any color

anything native that's pretty

any crinum bulbs (i've been eyeing some under the metromover, seed bulbs are about to be ready. do you have any ready to harvest?)

any bromeliad pups

a yellow plumeria cutting

anything else that grows here without much help but also won't take over my yard. I'd love to have any fruiting or flowering tree or bush that will surive my low water, low fertilizer, no pesticide yard.

Anyone out there in Miami, or greater South Florida want to share with an amateur?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022