SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Wintersowing my cottage garden - big pictures.

token28001
14 years ago

I posted this over at the wintersowing forum too. Almost everything you see here was wintersown. There are a couple butterfly bushes, some hardy hibiscus, and a red hot poker that weren't wintersown. And I did .... yellow finches just landed in the backyard. They're attacking the cosmos that haven't even bloomed yet. Man, they are bright! I love being able to see the flower beds from my window... direct sow the poppies. Sorry, I got distracted. LOL.

{{gwi:398325}}

{{gwi:398326}}

For those of you looking to grow perennials from seed, you can start sowing in the fall all the way through the spring. Cameron, this works extremely well in our zone. Gardening in winter is something I had never thought I'd be able to do. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was crazy this past January as I was planting out. Then it snowed, three times. Even half-hardy annuals have done well being planted before, after, and sometimes while snow was still on the ground in the shade.

Wintersowing containers lined the end of the driveway in early March.

{{gwi:343752}}

I had at least 80% germination. The containers that didn't sprout were more than likely seeds from trades.

{{gwi:363125}}

Ready for planting out.

{{gwi:355368}}

Tiny seedlings planted in the "Hunk o Seedlings" fashion turn into beautiful plants.

{{gwi:357359}}

{{gwi:688225}}

Wintersown.org

Comments (14)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus