SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricka_gw

Potted figs ready to go out?

ricka
18 years ago

Hi, My figs were garaged until the end of February, at which point the buds started swelling, so I repotted to larger pots and put them in my very warm greenhouse to "wake up" for the season. Well they are exploding with growth and now touching the ceiling of the greenhouse and therein lies my problem. I would like to put them outside, but there is still a danger of freezing temps here on Long Island. Most nights are above freezing, but for the next 2 or 3 weeks temps in the high 20's are a possibility. I have 6 trees and they are too heavy to shift in and out. I might be able to squeak another week out of the greenhouse, but these babies want to grow (They grew huge leaves and the stems have grown from 6 inches to over a foot in ONE MONTH... and I haven't fertilized them yet!!) How much cold weather can they take? Will the breba figs be affected by the cold? I have Italian Everbearing, a Genoa, an un-named yellow( looks like a Peters Honey to me), an un-named one ( looks like an italian everbearing) that I grew from a cutting from a fig tree I saw in Venice, a kadota and brown turkey. All are young trees between 1 and 3 years old.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County