SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walt55

Leyland Cypress in the Arizona desert watering

walt55
14 years ago

Hello. I have 15 Leyland (Italian) cypress in ground 3 yeras this coming March, planted right along the driveway, on the east side of my neighbors carport. I think the little guys appreciated that afternoon shade! It gets blistering hot June and July (but thank God for monsoon season).

When the trees were first planted, I added quite a bunch of gypsum, as that is what I heard to do from many sources -- local garden club members and the nursery, but I didn't add and mix that much composted mulch with the native soil (pretty good soil, according to a local University of AZ Master Gardener).

Now, to my question..These 15 trees are in a 20 inch wide bed I made, bordered on one side, by the neighbors concrete carport slab and on the other by a ribbon of small, decorative border block I constructed (mortared to a small strip of concrete to keep the stones straight). Upon planting, we immediately installed automatic irrigation. In the summer, each tree gets 4 gallons by fan nozzle drip, twice a week (8 gallons total). In winter, just once a week.

When first planted, I had these fan nozzles right over the root ball, but then the next year, I moved them in between the trees, which are planted 28 inch apart. Did I mess up by doing this? My logic was to make sure I got that surrounding soil watered, instead of the water only going straight down through the potting mix that the trees came in.

Thanks for reading all of that!

Comments (11)