SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Cantaloups...here's how I'm trying it this year.

runswithscissors
11 years ago

I've started them this week in large solo cups, cut down the sides and taped back together, so I can simply open the cups to transplant them with little to no root disturbance. Once they are about 4" or 5" I have 2 gallon buckets waiting for them. I drilled a hole in the bottom, and laid a section of chicken wire in the bottom, leaving the end long enough to drape up and over the sides...then filled with soil. I will transplant the solo cup melons into the buckets. When it's time to transplant the bucket melons, I will lift the whole root ball out by the ends of the wire, so I'm hoping there will be no root disturbance and I can plant the melon, wire and all, directly in the hole I've dug in the garden. My last frost date is around May 24th. So, I'm going to plant out around then, and depending on the melon's size I will cover them with a wall-o-water or a hot cap and then a floating row cover over that. Finally by the middle of june I should be able to allow them free reign to grow.

Since I'm starting this process so early do you think I'll have enough time to actually get a melon this year? Do you think this system will work?

ps I have the buckets in a heated greenhouse.

should I try this with gourds and watermelons too?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!