SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlbug2

The baffling popularity of certain fig varieties

girlbug2
14 years ago

Here in Orange County it seems that Brown Turkeys are everywhere. You go to the garden centers and half the figs sold are BTs. Every other fig that I see planted in yards appear to be BTs. I've tasted many of them, and while they are nice, IMO Brown Turkeys are really nothing special. Black Missions grow well in out climate zone--now that is my idea of a delicious fig. Heck, it's practically a living California historical treasure. They even dry well (for those who like that--I never do). Yet, I've only seen exactly ONE Black Mission planted in my county. They seem much more popular elsewhere, such as in northern Cal.

Also, there are so many other fig varieties that would do well in our semicoastal climate here--varieties which get rave reviews on forums like these. Negronne, for one. Yet I NEVER see any of these varieites for sale in this area, nor planted in yards.

I wish I could ask, haven't you people ever tasted a really good fig before? What's with all the bland BTs? If anybody could hazard a guess to explain it, I'd be interested. Is there some reason I should be planting a Brown Turkey myself?

What figs are enjoying huge popularity in your area of the country? And why do you think that is the case?

Comments (26)