SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Daylily Auction

newyorkrita
16 years ago

Already got in trouble on the Auction. Bought two Daylilies in two separate Auctions but they were the same seller.

I got SO MANY STARS and LONDON CALLING both of which I think are super gorgeous.

There is no hope for me. I am a goner. My yard will turn into Daylily paradise.

Comments (78)

• petalpatsy
    16 years ago

Which two FS intros did you get?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Frank Smith Daylilies I got 2006 intro Lava Flow and 2007 intro Midnight Sensation. I haven't actually gotten them in the mail yet though.

The other one of his that I want really bad is 2007 intro PRISSY GIRL but at $200.00 for a single fan, I will wait.

Some other new ones I bought in the Lily Auction are -
    Parrot Jungle - Trimmer 2005
    Desert Moon - Trimmer 2005
    Diamond Girl - Trimmer 2007
    Mississippi Man- Trimmer 2007
    Tropical Jewel - Trimmer 2007
    Malaysian Marketplace - Salter 2005
    Citrix - Stamile 2006

Haven't actually received them either.

• Related Discussions

Daylily Auction?

Q

Comments (6)
    "What sometimes happens on the LA is that the bidding can go higher than the price a CV is selling for from the hybridizer." Actually, I think that happens fairly frequently. There's a small group of bidders who do not want to lose to anyone. I've watched their behavior with bemusement. When certain of them have placed bids, I don't even bother trying. These people will pay any amount for the plants they want -- or so it seems. Like you, Linda, I often just go to an online source for plants I want. But something to bear in mind, however, is shipping costs. You don't always do better by leaving the auction and searching elsewhere. If you want one daylily from one seller, one from another, still another from a third, and so on, you'll get eaten alive by the post office. It you could win all those plants from one auction seller, you might come out ahead. "If you don't want to bid on a daylily can you just order it from them via mail order?" Of course. Why on earth shouldn't you??? Bidding on the auction and buying from nurseries, growers, resellers -- these are all voluntary activities. (Well, OK, maybe submitting to an addiction isn't exactly voluntary LOL.)
    ...See More

Daylily auction on Ebay

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you. I hope she now amends her auctions to say something other than daylily bulbs set of 10. It is amazing that some sellers can have such good ratings when they are selling things they know nothing about. I guess the buyer doesn't know any better, so long as they get 10 bulbs, they'll likely be happy to leave good feedback...sigh. Sue
    ...See More

Lily Auction

Q

Comments (4)
    I think its also the season. People that wished to plant new daylilies this spring have usually already planted them. So buying much earlier in the season. I think sellers know this is a slow time for interest in the Lily Auction. But that means there could be some real bargains to be had.
    ...See More

Daylily Auction

Q

Comments (3)
    Most US Sellers will not ship to Canada and those that do tend to have high minimum purchases and expensive shipping and phyto fees. I once bought a daylily for $100US and shipping + phyto were $70US. My shipments now go to the US and pass through a few friends' hands before they get to me.
    ...See More
  • petalpatsy
    16 years ago

I'll have to look again at Trmmer's website, but I know Parrot Jumgle. I've been trying to control myself but evertime I see it I think I have to have it, too! I hope it makes beautiful blooms for you!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It sure does look good in the pictures plus the fact that its very different. I haven't seen anything that looks like it.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As I said, nothing looks quite like it and its soooooo beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:741911}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tropical Jewel

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:741914}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mississippi Man

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:741918}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diamond Girl

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:741923}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Malaysian Marketplace

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:741927}}

• petalpatsy
    16 years ago

They're lovely! *takes deep breath, puts hands in pockets*

• drgulley
    16 years ago

Can someone tell me what Gary's name is on the Daylily Auction? I would like to check out some of his daylilies....
    Dianne

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

Gary Colby is Southwestgarden I think, great seller.

Dot

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Southwestgarden

The best sellar on the whole auction for sure.

• meg_va
    16 years ago

I had the good fortune of visiting the Trimmer garden last April and Mississippi Man was in bloom. I wasn't leaving without it!! Fortunately, Dan had a pot of it to sell me...otherwise, I might still be in Florida. :)

It has been a beautiful performer in my garden this season!

Meg

• okbt
    16 years ago

I have resisted looking at this post for a few days now,but I looked at your pics,Rita,and now I have to go and click that darn link again! I did get Julie Newmar,Spacecoast Fancy Dancer,SC Cool Deal,SC Ruffles,Blue Oasis,Thais,Tremor,and Witch Stitchery.

Betsy

• lotodig
    16 years ago

Betsy, I have the three SC that you listed and you will really enjoy them, each one is really beautiful, especially the second year on. The fist year they were kind of awful looking,

Wendy

• drgulley
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info Dot and Rita. Did you get So Many Stars from him? Dot, I was looking at your picture of So Many Stars and that is a beautiful one! I think my bloom color would look identical to yours since we are both in Texas...

Dianne

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I did get my So Many Stars from Gary earlier this year. The fans were huge! Now happily growing in my garden. Plus Gary also sends super bonuses with every order.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Meg- That picture of Mississippi Man just made me want it so much. I did think it was strangely named in the sense that anything that girly pink would have a name with the word man in it!

Have been bad on the Lily Auction again today and bid and won two items. Both of these are from the same seller I am getting a pile of stuff from like Mississippi Man, Diamond Girl and Parrot Jungle.

Betsy - Resistance is futile as they say in Star Trek. Will post some more links to click on. Glad to know I am not the only one been busy on the LA.

Plus I see lefox on the LA bidding on stuff too.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of the two I bought on the LA today.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:741929}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ledgewoods Winter Memories is the other one I bought on the LA today.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:741932}}

• lefox
    16 years ago

Yes I've been weak again but I just love the colors on winter wolf-----
    Got a email from Peggy Goudeau they got back from the DL national in Minneapolis---glad they got back before the bridge fell!
    next years national is in Houston may 16---I want to Go!!!!!!!!!!!

NYrita you are right! Resistance is futile!!!!! Trekkies rule!
    I'll be getting an order from the Goudeaus this week------have you ever checked out their site ---more temptation!!

colefox, a weak dl lover

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lefox - I didn't think anyone would bump Alicar after that bid of $121.00. I didn't bid on Winter Wolf myself even though its the one I MOST want of all the Ledgewood intros because before I even bid, the price went sky high.

At least in pictures, Winter Wolf is stop in your tracks gorgeous.

• carmen_grower_2007
    16 years ago

Have any of you seen these marvelous cultivars actually growing and blooming in your zone? If not, don't be so quick to bid on something that is luscious in a picture but may not be great at all in your own garden.

I have been stung many times. Sometimes I bought a picture and even though that picture was perfect in my garden, it only had a few blooms and didn't increase. Others (CLOTHED IN GLORY comes to mind here) just didn't care at all for Z4/5 and is today still a double fan after three years. If you know that is a possibility then go for it. I didn't and won't ever again.

LINDA AGIN is another example of something I will dig up because it takes up space I can better use. The few blooms it gets each year look just like the awesome pictures, but there are too few to make it a keeper.

I don't buy anything anymore. I hybridize and first look for a pretty face. Then, I look for branching and budding. After that (it takes about three years of observation after the seedling blooms) I look at the rate of increase. Some meet the first two criteria, but fail to increase. That means I can't really sell it, so I just keep it for myself.

I realize nobody really learns from other's experiences, but just thought I would tell you mine just in case you are listening.

• petalpatsy
    16 years ago

I want to second the recommendation for caution on bidding based on a picture. These daylilies are beautiful flowers, but I always Google for images and try to find one from a regular gardener some where. In Cahoots comes to mind that went recently on LA, where the publiciy shot and actual pictures would not be identified as the same daylily. It's gorgeous, but it's not blue and white. Other pics show rosy pink and burgundy purple.

• lefox
    16 years ago

Greetings--thanks for the advice---but as you said ,you have to learn from from your own experiences--- but, I do listen and I won't stop learning, that is why this list is so helpful to me----your post was not written in vain.
    I have been doing a little homework before I bid also have called some breeders and spoke to them--I must say MOST DL people have been very genrious with advice, and just not want to sell me stuff---.
    I live so far off in the mountains that I will have to do a little testing----take a few chances---I would also try my hand at a littl;e breeding---
    I do have to work on culture and care first--Now I have started making beds!!
    ton of beds!
    cole

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just wanted to comment on two shipments of daylilies from two differnt sellers on the Lily Auction I received today. None were of the ones I had linked to pictures above.

However, it just brings to mind what someone had mentioned about plant size, bonus (or not) and how some sellers seem to value ones business more than others.

Shipment one, I won three different auctions from this seller. The plants look nice and healthy and are the advertised number of fans. However, even with three wins, no bonus included. I am so used to getting extras that I find this rather startling.

Shipment two was for one fan. I almost never bid on one fan but broke my rule here. The advertised one fan is actually two very nice sized fans with a bonus plant of two small fans included.

So thats it. I just wanted to comment. Will leave positive feedback for both of course since they both shipped nice looking plants in a timely manner.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anyone grow this one yet? Starblaze is the supposed single fan I just received from the LA today that is a nice double fan. I planted it in a spot right off my backlyard patio as I am awaiting on lots of blooms.

This is what was said about it in the auction description--

STARBLAZE (JD Stadler, 2007)(Q11-1) Panda Bear x Strawberry Lace, 30" MRe 5.75" Tet Ev, 3 branches, 15 buds. This garden standout is chartreuse yellow with a large rose eye and edge and a green throat. It will absolutely stop you in your tracks! Perhaps even more exciting than its showy color, however, is its performance in the garden. ÂStarblaze is a progressive re-bloomer with 2-3 scapes emerging from each fan for a very long bloom season. This was one of my favorites from the very beginning. Fertile both ways. VERY limited availability.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:741934}}

• carmen_grower_2007
    16 years ago

A bonus is a gift. You should never expect one, but if you receive one, be happy. Often the bonus is an extra fan of what you ordered. I much more appreciate this than something I might already have or really don't want.

• ferengigold
    16 years ago

As shipping costs and the general cost of doing business increase, expect to see less and less of those bonus plants that you have become accustomed to.

Carmen is right-- bonuses are a GIFT, and should not be expected, nor should you hold it against the grower if you don't get one.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually I have never before not gotten a bonus. And I do understand there is no legal obligation to do so, which is why the first order received excellent feedback from me on the auction, the daylily plants bought were shipped in a timely fashion and very nice plants of the quantity advertised. Still everyone else I have ordered from managed to send out really nice plants (in most instances great plants) many with extra fans and still include a lovely bonus.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I noticed that the sales for spring shipment and delivery have started up on the Lily Auction. The one I noticed was for Sugar Glider (trimmer 2006). I am not bidding, I was just looking. Spring is too far away for me to feel confident buying now (sending my money) unless I know the seller as having bought before or a comercial grower with a great reputation.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, its the middle of January well after Christmas but I have been very good and not bid on anything from the Lily Auction. Trying to stay out of trouble here.

• shellyga
    16 years ago

but tis so much FUN there.. : )
    Shelly

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

I am done too. I have too many coming for spring so the last thing I need is more. It is very tempting and I do visit to look at the pictures. That is what I tell myself anyway. I have limited myself to 12 new ones for spring.

Edward

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

I was supposed to limit myself to 5 and instead have 50 coming.

Edward, care to share what you have coming?

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

It is a very spidery spring. Only three are not spiders or unusual forms.

From LA

Heavenly Angel Ice
    Heavenly Flight of Angels
    Thorhalla

From Local sellers

North Wind Dancer
    Aniakchak
    Creature of the Night
    Cloud Forest
    James River Rose
    Ah Youth
    Banned in Boston

Gifts

Orchid Visitation
    Lilac Cocatoo
    Joan Derifield

Oops, I guess that is 13.

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Ban it now! I can't stand all this talk about it! I have already bid on and won 25 seed auctions. What am I going to do now?!?!? Egads!!!

Must resist......must resist....

no! Don't click that link!!!

aww shucks! Now I've gone and done it!

nooooo!!!!!

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Here's a list of the ones I've bid on and won that will be coming to live at my house this spring!
    Born To Run
    Lone Wolf
    Something Superb
    Words Of Love
    Baffin Bay Beauty
    Ledgewood's Silver Lining
    Patsy Carpenter
    Chartered Course
    Innocent Blush
    Raspberry Masquerade
    Persuing Passion
    Blue Jay Way
    Marauder
    Love Spills Over
    Reflections Of Glory

and the rest are Munsons:
    Samurai Silk
    Fencing Master
    Oriental Silk
    Victoria Elizabeth Barnes
    Aztec Prince
    Enchanted Empress

Still a few bids pending.....:)

Come on Mark, join the fun....LOL
    Jan

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

Nice additions everyone.

Jan, I really tried to get some seeds from Chartered Course. It's a beauty.

Edward, I looked hard at Thorhallia and Orchid Visitation. They are both gorgeous.

Here are the new babies coming to live at my house (keep in mind it's all new landscape and I'm new to DL)
    LA wins-
    Ancient Wisdom
    Antique Charm
    Avante Garde
    Bluegrass Strawberry Taffy
    Broadway Gal
    Carnival Flair
    Chevron Spider
    Cleopatra's Jewel
    Lexington Avenue
    Mariachi
    Miss Tinkerbell
    Mynelle's Starfish
    Notify Ground Crew
    Passion In Paris
    Persian Pattern
    Prairie Tornado
    Roses In Snow
    Royal Kaleidoscope
    Sears Tower
    Tell About It
    Wild Horses
    Plus just over 100 seeds with favorite parents-
    Clarification, Princess Dianna, Ava Gardner, Art Gallery Mist, Lavender Dusk, Lavender Tomorrow, Always Afternoon, Lady Betty Fretz, April Laquinta, Parisian Romance, Some Sweet Day, Scottish Fantasy, Spacecoast Sweetness, Spacecoast Sharptooth, Kansas Kitten, Wren Song

Ordered from the Burris'-
    Bagana
    Baitoushan
    Jungle Fowl
    Royal Flycatcher
    Volcan Fuego

Still want/may order:
    Milk Chocolate
    Barbara Mitchell
    Decatur Cherry Smash
    Inherited Wealth
    Pearlfisher Pink
    Yazoo Jim Terry
    Susan Weber

• okbt
    16 years ago

I went a bit bid crazy on LA after saying I wasn't going to buy anything for spring delivery anymore.Here are my sins...so far...LOL!
    Inner View
    Hello Screamer
    Happy Apache
    Chartered Course
    Helemon
    Gaugin
    Frozen Jade
    Camaroons
    Nairobi Night
    Borgia Queen
    Beijing
    Ruffles Elegante
    Passion District
    Cezanne
    Lexington Avenue
    China Lake
    Chinese Princess

I swear all I was looking for was Chinese Watercolor!Something went waaaay wrong there!! I am still bidding on seeds.

Betsy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Geez, Betsy, were are you going to put them? I saw the pictures of your front and back gardens posted on Cha-Cha's Garden of the week links. Really nice gardens but it didn't look like you had a lot of room.

• okbt
    16 years ago

I have 2+acres,partially wooded.That is a different Betsy,although I am only 30 miles north of her.Her gardens are nice. Soooo...I have a lot of room,just no plan!LOL!

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

Nice selections, everyone. Edward, you'll love Joan Derifield (and I wish I had Heavenly Angel Ice coming).

Here are the most exciting of my purchases:

MALAYSIAN MARKETPLACE
    GENTLY DOWN THE STREAM
    JAMIE DOCKERY
    TWO SUES
    SPICE TRADE
    FRIEDA ALLEN JERRELL
    LOVELY DIANE
    CARY GRANT
    MUCH ADO ABOUT MAGIC
    SINS OF OMISSION
    BORG TECHNOLOGY
    SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL
    TARAS BULBA

And 31 Munsons, including these:

PHARAOH'S TREASURE
    BORGIA POPE
    ETOSHA
    ETOSHA FLAME
    WATER DRAGON

I'm in watermark heaven.

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Wow Chris, 31 new Munsons, sounds like me last year!!! I can see we'll have to compare lists and do some serious trading in a year or so!! LOL

Well, as for the rest of you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stay away from the LA!! :)
    Jan

• tepelus
    16 years ago

Ya'll are going to love my list! LOL! I went overboard on the LA, thanks to having discovered it on this forum! I have the beds already mostly made for probably half, but I'm going to be busy come spring digging up another large bed for the rest. Here they are:

Alpine Snow, Avante Garde, Russian Easter, Daybreak Fantasy, Grape Velvet, Soft Summer Night, Take Heart, Breed Apart, Moonlight Orchid, Over The Top, Purple Pinwheel, Elizabeth's Dream, Creepy Crawler, Fire Breathing Dragon, Bloodline, Bloodspot, Midnight Magic, Patchwork Puzzle, Blueberry Frost, Romanian Rendezvous, Royal Celebration, Make Believe Magic, Celtic Princess, Strawberry Lace, Dewy Sweet, Whispering, Stormy Monday, Irish Melody, Little Red Dragon, Key To My Heart, Golden Compass, Red Peacemaker, Pocket Dragon, Ornamental Focus, Wes Kirby, Night Breeze, Royal Braid, Pagan Ritual, Heavy Metal, Bela Lugosi, Prickled Petals, Dream Machine, Beyond Riches, Jordan Verhaert, Awesome Blossom, Jerry Pate Williams, Tomorrow's Glory, Francis of Assisi, Cherry Valentine, Fortune's Dearest, Carpathian Queen, Moonlit Caress, Keltic Blush, Laughing Clown, Teller of Tales, Raspberry Pixie, Galaxy Explosion, Dark Mosaic, Bitsy, Bloodfire, Fairy's Palace, Quote the Raven, Green Jay, Blueberry Lemonade, Storm Chaser, Night Embers and finally....Catherine W. Jones

Whew! But there are still a few more I would like to get for this spring, being Dracula, Creature of the Night and a few others. I have to stay off that LA!

Karen

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

Whew -- I'm tired just looking at that list, Karen. You have lots of great choices in that group. Make sure you take plenty of photos to share.

Chris

• tepelus
    16 years ago

But of course, Chris! I love taking pictures of flowers just as much as growing them.

Karen

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Whoa Karen, better space out their delivery times, or someones going to have a very sore back!
    You've chosen some great ones there, however, and are going to have years of enjoyment from all those beauties.
    Jan

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

Chris, Karen,
    You've both got some real beauties coming. Hope you will post some of those pics when they all get settled in. I'm sure it will be glorious at your homes in bloom season.

BT4M