SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mad_gardener

Fig tree - grows up but not out!

mad_gardener
16 years ago

A year or so ago my mother (who lives in the NE), gave me her fig tree. She'd bought the tree between 6-8 years ago from Gurneys. She doesn't remember what variety it was, and I have no way of identifying it. When she received the fig, it was quite small and she potted it in a small container. Since then, it's been re-potted once. At the time the root ball was quite small. It shows no signs of being root-bound at this time, so I haven't bothered to put it in a larger pot. I'm also afraid to plant it outside for fear it will freeze (I live in zone 7, so winters are mild compared to the NE but we still do get some freezing temperatures here). Another puzzling thing is that it has shot up, but has not grown out. It has one trunk that has remained very thin (it's no wider than a normal-sized person's ring finger). Also, for the longest time it had only a few leaves, but recently, it has started to develop more leaves and possibly some sucker branches. It has never borne fruit. My questions are these:

1. Is the fact that it has grown up but not out a result of the potting mixture having too much nitrogen or phosphorus?

2. Should I try pruning the plant in the hopes that it will shoot out growth lower on the stem, or will this kill the plant?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES