SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

Hurricane Fay Thread

junkyardgirl
15 years ago

How many of you are actually threatened by this hurricane? I am, if it keeps on its present predicted track. I don't have anyone who will help me board up my house. I'm doing the best I can, but I'm just praying it heads a little further west and misses us. Spent the last two hours cleaning off the back porch and getting the dining room ready for plants to come in.

Going now to start moving baskets indoors.

Comments (65)

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I made a mistake of posting my piece in the discussion side. Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut in the first place.

In spite of my little rant, I did say we should be prepared. We never know how these storms will play out once they've gained force.

FlowerLady

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

I've taken down the wind chimes - all six of them - moved the plants that just came out of the mistbed to the patio (covered on three sides) and put the bench there as well. One orchid that hangs on the Tipuana is now behind the spa. And other than a quick inventory of the single malt, we're ready for a couple of windy, rainy days.

I was going to open the call for Swap-A-Que invitations tomorrow, as it's the 19th - two months away - but I'll give it until next weekend so we can all deal with Fay.

• Related Discussions

First Casualty of Hurricane Fay

Q

Comments (6)
    jyg - let the bottom of the upper section heal over for a few days, perhaps as long as a week. Then put it in some cactus soil and it will root out. Don't water it! Let it get its rain from above. For both sections, after you put them back in pots, cover the soil with small river rocks - at least a 2" - so there's some weight to hold the plants down.
    ...See More

A few more TS Fay Pics

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Brandan Love your site; some really great stuff and awesome photos! I hope your flooding is freshwater from all the rain. If I remember right about the East Coast, isn't the St Lucie saltwater? We got Fay first over here on the West Coast, but my yard right in the Ten Thousand Islands bays was totally under saltwater. Take a look: Poor cannas! Bougies & Gingers don't like drowning in the bay! Another bouganvillea, some wind-whipped plumeria and one of my Tagami clumps that I thought sure was going to bloom soon And a shot showing my clerodendrum I got at Ricky's trade, my once-gorgeous canna bed and more heliconia. I didn't get to shoot any pictures of the actual flooding, since it was raining and blowing so hard (70 mhp) and it was kinda dark and dreary. I know that would've been more interesting that seeing a bunch of dead plants! I can't bear to take pics of all my hybrid hibiscus corpses, though. I had to pull out my 'maters, sweet taters and squash vines, along with begonias and dahlias and stuff like that. I think all the trees will come back, even though they are now nudies; the pink tab is a champ, though, and so far is still full of foliage. Anyways, keep us posted on how well your flooded garden fares in the next week as it dries out. Susie - P S.......nice shot of your 31" Snook. Got one of a 40 incher? I DO!
    ...See More

I started a Hurricane Fay thread in Conversations

Q

Comments (8)
    Ok, I'll jump in here. ~ We are NOT watching TV, haven't been for months now, got burned out. Lived without it for about 15 years, so can do so again. ~ Anyway, we are tracking the weather online. Listening to or watching the 'hype' that happens every time a hurricane 'might' happen is a 'drag'. Life is too short and precious to spend time listening to 'crap', pardon the expression, but that's what I think. A line that I remember from a book made a big impression on me says this, "fear is the mind-killer, it will pass but I will remain." The news media push fear more than anything. Yes it is sensible to watch these storms, and to prepare. But to be 'pushed' by their hype to act in fear, is ridiculous and is just making them and their sponsors big bucks. With that I will close my little post. May the winds not be strong, may there be no damages, just some liquid sunshine for our gardens, which will be a welcome relief, and make our gardens grow better and happier. 'If' we happen to get something worse, may we all be given the grace and strength to do what we have to do to get back to normal once again. (Whatever normal is.) I digress. Have a great week in spite of the weather. FlowerLady
    ...See More

TS Fay

Q

Comments (15)
    Virginia and points north are said to be overdo for a big one.No drought here and now enjoying the crystal blue 80-85 F. days. This is more continuous sunshine than we've had all summer and the palms must be lovin' it. Moving into autumn soon--my favorite season. I wouldn't worry about -1.5 inches, you can get that in a 15 minute thunderstorm. Last week when local tornado warnings went out (a rare event), rainfall was falling at a rate of 18"/hour! T.S. "Floyd" was last bad hurricane-related flood around here. As bad as it has been in Fl., the saving grace apparently is the level terrain and the sandy soil (excellent drainage).
    ...See More
  • solstice98
    15 years ago

I've got the single malt, the peanut butter, fresh baked bread, extra food for the dogs and cats, and enough batteries to keep the iPod (audible books!) going for days. There are some water bottles in the freezer. The orchids will come in tonight if they need to and the pool will get partially drained so it can handle a few inches of rain. I don't think it will be too bad in Orlando but I'm ready if it is!
    Take care, Everyone!
    Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Hurricane Tips

• minibim
    15 years ago

Have to say, I agree with Flowerlady. The media LOVES to get worked up for days over hurricanes and that wouldn't be such a bad thing if everyone wasn't totally guessing.

These meteorologists *supposedly* go to school to learn to read computer models, and patterns and any layman can do it with as much accuracy. So far this storm has been aimed at the east coast, the west coast, Louisiana, as of 2 am the west coast again and now with the 8am on it's way, possibly the east coast again.

The only thing to do is stay prepared. I filled the cars on Friday, filled my gas containers on Friday, stocked up on water Friday. Shoulda gone to the bank, but didn't get a chance. I did all that thinking it probably was a waste of time, but just in case I wasn't going to get caught in all the last minute frenzy.

Now we wait and throw darts at the dartboard for odds on where it hits.

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

We bought some sort of a tool to attach to our drill that screws the wing nuts in with no effort. I'm sure you tool people already have a dozen of these but we're not tool people so we're pretty excited.
    I have to agree with Flowerlady somewhat. WHen we first moved down here 28 years ago meteorologists went into high panic mode first windy day and time after time nothing happened. Either they're more accurate ate predicting now or they got a lot of negative comments so they are somewhat better.
    Babalu has a great idea-chocolate!!!!

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

I took down all hanging plants and windchimes and did other things to be prepared to be without electricy for a while. We loose power with a thunderstorm. Ralph is tying the boat to the lift in case of a storm surge. Not in a panic, just being prepared. I forgot to get cash from the bank, and a couple of pieces of sod to put in the garage for the dog. Loosing power is the worst problem, I think.

Stay safe everyone.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

We're disgusted with the meteoroligist, all they do on NBC is brag about all the new best high tech equipment and here we go again same Chit! 3 day's notice to kill ourselves getting ready.....same ole same old!!!! they promised more advanced warning, what a bunch of BULL!!!!! we took a direct hit from Charley, never even got protection up, cause it wasn't coming here, Yeah right!!!! Well we're ready this time, however discovered a roof leak over the weekend, got a roofer coming at noon, because of course the Yahoo's who put it on after Charley are no longer in business out of Ft. Myers. That's my vent for the day...LOL

• Sylvia_marie
    15 years ago

Gosh, I see you all are getting prepared. I on the other hand am not sure what to do with my garden pots. Should I bring them closer to the house or indoors? How strong are the winds going to be in my area of Rockledge anyways? I'd like to hear what other gw in my area are doing.
    Sylvia

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

I'm in that same place of wondering, Sylvia..sooo many things to drag around...would rather not if we don't need to...... maybe we'll know more by the 5 pm report today?

• deeosu
    15 years ago

WOW, It is hard to know what to do as a transplant here in FL. We are in Jax and so many think, " Oh, don't worry, we never get hit" that you see noone getting prepared. I guess unless it is coming directly out of the ocean we should not worry much.

Any opinions from other First coast people?

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

I think we attract hurricanes. Wilma headed directly for Naples when we moved there full-time and we were shutterless. THAT was an interesting night, trees down, transformers popping. Now Fay is headed for Englewood but we have shutters this time.

After Wilma our biggest grievance was that local Naples/Collier Co. authorities gave absolutely NO information on the radio in the aftermath and of course we were out of electric for 5 days (no TV or internet). Isn't that ridiculous? No information about anything, AM or FM. We also had no toilet or showers because the lift station was hit so no power for sewer.

We have a generator now and shutters. Live and learn.

I've learned that my pot ghetto takes a lot of time to move when a hurricane's coming :-)

I hope everyone stays safe and goes to a shelter if they need to.

• beth7happy
    15 years ago

just looked at a 'probability map'. for the record, I'm on the Space Coast - Rockledge, to be exact. The latest wind map is giving us a 50 to 75% chance of winds in excess of 39 mph. That's pretty high, really, if you think about bird feeders and plastic pots...patio umbrellas, etc. It looks as tho I'm going to start moving some things after 5 this evening, but will take another look at the 'predictions' at the five o'clock level. The Space Center is still at what they call Hurcon 4 level...employees are being advised to come in tomorrow with a possiblity of being sent home...... FWIW

• junkyardgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We won't know where this thing is going until it's here, I don't think. Now they're saying it will hit between Naples and Fort Myers. Fort Myers has declared a state of emergency.

Last report, it would hit there tomorrow morning, and go up through Punta Gorda tomorrow afternoon. If it goes straight out of PG, it will come right over me. If it veers left, it will miss me in North Port, and luckily, we are on the left side of it (the weaker side). Hopefully, after that long over land, it will be just a whisper when it gets here.

Still listening to the radio, trying to keep up, and checking the Tampa station weather online every once in awhile.

I'm as prepared as I'm going to get. I'm going to make a few gallons of KoolAid and wash up the dishes and be done with it.

• imatallun
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, and good luck with Fay.

I've had this bed for 15 or so years in four different houses. The bed is too big for my current bedroom with a low ceiling, but I probably won't replace it because it comes in handy. (Boyfriend says it looks like a chinese laundry in there sometimes - today, well, it looks like a plant canopy bed).

The weather channel said her East side is the meanest.

Again, wish you all the best with Fay. Hopefully we won't need to use our provisions and generators and all of our families and friends (including 4 legged and winged) and plants will be safe.

{{gwi:759723}}

• piri
    15 years ago

deeosu I would be most concerned for you to be prepared for power failure. Even if you're not hit by the brunt of the storm as she comes in there is still strong enough winds on the NE side of a storm quite far from the eye to take down weak trees or limbs. Also, there are plenty of trees that grow in Florida that can become uprooted and fall if the soil/sand they're in gets saturated enough.

In 2004 we hadn't had a strong storm through Central Florida for a good while. In 2004 even though Jeanne and Charlie were both very strong storms, we saw little downed trees in my area after Jeanne because Charlie had already cleared out everything that was weak. You need to be wary if the first storm of the season for that reason. Get you batteries/candles ready and some water and I think you'll be fine.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

"a couple of pieces of sod to put in the garage for the dog " Katkin...Thanks so much for posting that!!

I have never thought of doing that for my "Pug", that is such a great idea!! I always have a hard time getting him to go in the garage, even though I put papers down. That is brilliant and appreciate you posting it. I will definitely be trying it. Thanks again!!

That's why I love this forum, there's always something that we can use and great tips and ideas...

• wanda662
    15 years ago

For you Newbees, just make sure you have lots of water, flashlights and canned goods if you live in a house.
    If you live in a mobile like I do, have a place to go.
    Take every thing that could fly and put in a covered area.

Anyone else have any insight for the newbees?

Don't panick!

• cindeea
    15 years ago

EMERGENCY...EMERGENCY...EMERGENCY!!! Well, now you know the STATE I am in in Fort Myers...lol! Dennis was sent home at 2p today, not to report in tomorrow. I think (and pray I am right) is we will get a Cat. 1 with LOTS of rain. So my gazillion tomato seedlings are in the garage on my car. (See what you guys started Denise and Tom??? Tom, your seed surprise pkg goes out after the storms have passed) All other smaller pots moved inside the house/garage or tucked under shrubs. Large planters against house. Patio/pool cage plants ALL MOved. It's times like these that I DO not appreciate my addiction to Amaryllis and Orchids which fill every nook and cranny of my my pool cage! Man it's been a busy day for me. I also made a double batch of toll-house with pecan cookies to keep my boys happy. We are on a wait-n-see about shutters. Fortunately, through work, Dennis has a connection to Lee Cnty. Emergency and are waiting on their advice on shutters. We are far enough inland, not near open water Like BarbC and Jan over in the Cape. Please be careful everyone!! i am looking forward to seeing all you guys after the storm. Plants can be replaced-people and pets can not!! Oh yeah, my toe is really purply today, but it's taken my mind off the sorness of my new hip!! LOL

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

i am without my dish TV so any info is helpful.What would be the best site to track it on my computer?I'm in Vero and not too concerned,should I be????Without th e TV working I am not hearing all the hype so and not in a tizzy.
    I agree Kat that is a great idea with the sod.my old dog is afraid of rain and TERRIFIED of thunder.

• piri
    15 years ago

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
    The best site to track hurricanes and any other storm. Active cyclones are always featured on the main page. Select "satellite" on the left to see animated images from any of about a dozen geostationary weather satellites.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Hurricane Center

• minibim
    15 years ago

Well, I'll stand by my earlier opinion, I've definitely seen worse afternoon thunderstorms. This is a typical over hyped media non-event.

• ladywingr
    15 years ago

Barbcoleus - thank you for the tip on the wing nut driver! Obviously, I couldn't find one today (sold out) --grin!-- but DH thinks he can make one if nothing else. Sure will make that job a lot easier in the future!

Imatallun - what a novel idea! Way to go with your ingenuity!

Junkyardgirl - Hang in there. It will be over soon and then we can focus on pulling all the weeds after the much needed rain --another grin!!--

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

I've been busy bringing my plants inside just like lot of GW friends. I started 7AM took a break at 3:30, gee I didn't know I had so many plants. Yea right.
    Cindee, I can't believe you broke your toe, I hope you feel better soon. Stay safe everyone!
    Jan

• junkyardgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can related to not knowing how many plants you have. I have been giving truckloads of plants away for years (and I LITERALLY mean truckloads!). I used to have five times this many, but somehow, it still took me between three and four hours to get them all situated. I can't imagine how I did it before!

I'm having a plant sale...SOON! And I'm NEVER buying another plant...yeah, right! I actually don't have to, because I have friends who keep dumping them on me.

I'm going now to make a big batch of homemade biscuits. Even cold, biscuits with butter and jelly are a great hurricane food. I just made up three gallons of KoolAid, and plan to make one of iced tea.

I figure even if I have no electricity, tomorrow will be a lovely day after the storm, so I can heat the biscuits up in aluminum foil on the front walk. LOL

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

You're making KoolAid? Oh, oh. Where's Jim Jones now?

• imatallun
    15 years ago

LMAO, fawnridge!

Which reminds me ... maintaining a sense of humor is undoubtedly the best advise for dealing with whatever Ma Nature throws our way. Batteries for the mind.

Thanks for the post.

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

Oh....my sore frozen shoulders and back! It took ,e about 5 hours to haul what potted plants I could lift into my cart to bring in on my pool screen porch. STill have others out that I couldn't lift so they are staying put. My biggest worry are my large Candlestick Cassias. I really don't want to lose the blooms and seed pods (still green).

After I was finished, I went out and did the Shake and Feed Fertilizer around the plants in the ground. Hopefully we will have enough rain to get it started.

Stay safe everyone.

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

Katkin,

Thanks for reminding me of the windchimes! You'd think the crazy chiming would have alerted me. And great tip on the sod. I think we're fine here in Miami, but I'll remember that for next time. We're still housebreaking a puppy and I was really wondering how that was going to work when he asked to go outside like he's supposed to and I couldn't take him.

Susannah

• lakeron
    15 years ago

goldenpond
    piri is correct the NHC site is the official site.
    However, www.wunderground.com carries more local info from the nearby weather sites example Tampa/Lakeland advisories come from Ruskin.
    Other sites I monitor are www.nlmoc.navy.mil/home1.html
    Central Florida Hurricane Center at flhurricane.com/ and storm2k.com where weather types gather on the forums and Derek Ortt has a pretty good track record.
    The most comprehensive site is crownweather.com/tropical

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

what a productive afternoon.

Took down my "gazebo" (flimsy metal frame with vinyl cover) and stashed away all of the plants that it housed.
    I realized just how much stuff I have outside.
    Upon relating this realization to the significant other, she said, "you live out there, it's like a whole other house."
    How true :)

So now, four hours later, everything of importance is secured, we are all supplied and safely battened down... it will most certainly be as minibim predicts: an over-hyped non-event....

Except of course for some unfortunate residents down south of me. Heck, at least it won't be as bad as Charley.

• lakeron
    15 years ago

should be storm2k.ORG

• lellie
    15 years ago

I worked all day, then stopped at my local bar for a couple of beers...LOL...and to chat with my Island friends.
    We've all been through this many, many times and its almost a routine with us.
    (Not to make light of a grave situation...)

I brought in the 2nd floor front porch furniture and pushed all the 2nd floor lanai furniture & grill tight up against the house.

I let alot of water out of the pool and put the pool furniture in the garage.

Brought in all my Orchids...phew!!!...windchimes, cushions from my iron benches and everything potted except those that are huge and heavy.

Put things like the leaf-blowers and all pool chemicals up high on the garage shelves.

Did my regular weekly shopping Sunday evening...cat food, litter, parrot treats (fruit and nuts), milk, bread, eggs, veggies, some meat, a case of water and paper products...plus a few bottles of wine, a case of beer and bug spray...I'm all set...hehehe!

A little later, before I retire for the evening, I'll bring in the parrots and the cat.
    We still have not een a breeze yet, tho.

I am a bit miffed that my DH didn't fly down from PA to help me, cause it took me two days to get everything in safe and sound and there are trees that should have been trimmed.................. :Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to go in to work @ 4pm...
    We shall see what we shall see, I reckon.

I rarely have the TV on so the hype isn't affecting me.
    I prefer to listen to NOAA.

GOLDENPOND: I go on the STORM2K site posted below.
    If I remember correctly, you must register to participate on the discussion forums, but you can freely read them.

Here is a link that might be useful: STORM2K

• cindeea
    15 years ago

"""You're making KoolAid? Oh, oh. Where's Jim Jones now?"""
    Ricky Ginsberg you should go stand in the corner!!

Especially for NOT asking for GRAPE Kool Aid!
    You are truly a wing nut, my friend! I never thought another human being had such a fine tuned sense of humor! Kudos!

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help,wasnt the best time for hubby to cancel the satelite dish.Ive been checking out all these amazing sites.

• junkyardgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ricky, I made Kool-aid because I only have 3 bottles of distilled water, and the city water here tastes horrid! So I made Kool-Aid and tea out of it. Want some? Hmmmm???? NO DAMMIT!!! DRINK IT, OR I'LL SHOOT YOU!!! Did I just say that out loud???

I'm pretty miffed with people who are calling this a non-event. #1, it hasn't even hit us yet, and #2, NO Tropical storm is ever a non-event. I was in Bradenton in 1990 for TS Marco, a strong TS, and it did lots of damage, mostly due to flooding, although the winds were gusting up to 100 mph. Later, they said they thought it might have actually been a cat. 1. A cat. 1 took my cousin's beach house in SC and moved it across the street. Seriously! The storm (can't remember which one...SC has a lot of hurricanes) stalled, and the erosion caused the house to fall into the ocean, which then deposited it on the marsh across the street. Not a dish was broken.

We only got TS force winds in North Port during Charley, and it tore the back porch off of my neighbor's house, and left bits and pieces of a trailer park lying around everywhere. It blew the top out of my oak tree.

If a cat. 1 is a non-event, then I don't want to see an event. I went through Hugo and Charley, and that's enough events for one lifetime.

• lakeron
    15 years ago

A friend who owns a tree trimming business commented today that he can tell how bad the economy is. In the past when a possible hurricane was headed this way he would get many calls to trim trees before it hit. As of this morning he had not received one call. He figures that people will just wait for the insurance to kick in rather than spend for prevention.

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

I just sit nd wait and if it appears to be headed here with any degree of urgency and force I will bring some of the potted plants into the house off of the screened Florida room but it is protected pretty much so I just watch and wait. We keep the water and stuff on hand 365 as I am a Red Cross volunteer and keep my kit current. My main concern is calling the Disney hurricane line off and on tomorrow to see if we are working as all the parks have advertized they will be open. That is life from someone who has sat through many a storm but usually from a Red Cross operations center. Linda

• junkyardgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning boys and girls! I guess it came onshore as a TS, so that was a blessing, only 59 mph winds. I think Key West probably took the worst of it. It hasn't made it up my way yet, but we've had rain, and some squall winds from the outer bands. I don't have television, so I'm depending on the weather channel online at weather.com to keep up.

We dodged yet another bullet down here, unless it stalls and causes heavy flooding. It may do that up around Orlando, so keep that kit handy, Linda.

• minibim
    15 years ago

As of yesterday, the reporters had been on the air non-stop for 48 hours and you can go nowhere in public and avoid a tv with coverage on. Reporters yesterday were standing in Key West picking up twigs off the ground and proclaiming "look at the limbs that are falling" - that is overhyped media dying for a story.

We live in Florida a state surrounded by hot water on 3 sides. We get nasty weather, we get horrible thunderstorms, we get hurricanes, if you can't deal with it without getting all worked up, it's probably not the ideal place to live.

So far this summer, there has been a tornado in Miami-Dade and 3 or 4 houses in Broward struck by lightning and caught fire. Last year I lost 2 trees and several appliances to lightning. None of this can be foreseen and none of it can be prepared for.

For the past week 'Fay' has been nothing but a giant blob on the radar and satellite and has had too much land interacting with it. No, I'm not a weather expert, but I don't think you need to be an expert to see a large totally disorganized system. On the otherhand if you are the local media you must try and make this storm into something more than what it is. If it takes out a patio or a tree, so what, that can happen on any given afternoon.

Should you be prepared? Of course, but in reality you should be basically prepared 365 days a year.

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

well said, minibim.

I agree that freaking out just because there is a group of bad weather with a name is overreacting. Living in Florida for 23 years, I've been through hurricanes and tropical storms too. I've seen trees falling on houses and plenty of terrible things during these storms. I've also seen these things happen on regular summer afternoons with unpredictable severe thunderstorm.

I spent all day yesterday preparing for the worst, because you absolutely never know. Now, of course nothing happened here. It's not even raining. Just kind of grey with an occasional breeze. Yesterday, winds were forecast to hit 50 mph here. Now it's 15. So we lucked out. Cannot say the same for Key West or Fort Myers. That's how it goes.

The advice I would give to anyone wishing to move to Florida: All you can do is minimize risks...
    Have adequate supplies.
    DON'T live on the beach or waterfront.
    Pay attention.

The rest is in Nature's hands.

• wanda662
    15 years ago

Here in Stuart-Jensen Beach area we have had lots of rain, so far 4.72". Wind has been up to 45 MPH. Some times Tropical Storms can do alot of damage, mostly rain.
    My yard is flooded and some things are bending over.
    Just saw the county come by to put warning signs up.
    Glad I don't have to go out in this mess!

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

I think people are prepared now after Charley and Wilma. Yes there is the last minute dash for batteries or milk but we know what do.
    We do get a laugh out of the local channels posting people all over the county wearing their rain slickers with nary a drop of rain on them, calm seas in the background. Hoods up so they we can't see that their hair is NOT blowing in wind. One weather girl said hunker down so many times we were in stitches by the end. But we live in a state where news reporting is 15 minutes and weather reporting is 45.

• scents_from_heaven
    15 years ago

Well said minibim. I never take these storms lightely but I seem to have developed a 6th sense as to whether they are going to be bad or much to nothing. I am so used to afternoon thunderstorms where we sometmes have microburst and wind gusts in excess of 50 mph. I have been through so many storns and even sat through one in a rente mustang. My mother and I had gone to a football game in New Orleans and hurrican Helana had been fickle and was running up and down the coast. We enjoyed the game and spent some time in the French Quarter when we heard that hurrican Helena was headed straight towards Slidell where were wre staying. We were in an interior room and would have been safer staying there but my Mom wanted to get out of town. We goton I-10 and headed home. The rain got worse and worse and finally it got to a point where I could barely see the road and the wind was pushing the car around. The radio person stated that the hurricane was coming ashore between Biloxi and Gulfport. I looked up and saw the road sign that said Gilfport next three exits. We sat the fist part of the storm under I-10 next to a giy in a VW. I was never so happy as when this big semi pulled up behind us. The both decided to turn around and face the other direction and they told me to make sure the gust was not coming when we made the turn or it would flip the car. We were having 160 mph gusts. They left me furing the eye so I got back on the interstate and I was going to take the interstate up north. There was a semi flipped on its side and another on top of a van. I got down onto the other road and realized that I was going to hit he front wall of the storm. You have never seen anyone back up a ramp so fast in your life. We got to the next exit just as the storm hit again and took shelter under the roof of a convenience stor with three oil changing pits, etc. The building was between us and the ocean. I looked over and saw the gas pump handled blowing in the wind and hoped they had cut the gas to the pumps off. I got out and ran around and took pictures of the wind blowing sideways until I saw a tornado coming that lifted the roof off of the gas station half a block away. My mother is now wishing we were back at the hotel. After the storm passed we headed towards home and saw numerpus twisters forming and still do not know how we missed geting sucked up into one that passed right over us and touched down on the other side of the road. I knowthe angels had their protective wings over us. I know the power of these storms and I respect them, but I have learned not to stress out over them. If thre seems to be a truly bad one heading our way I pack Lee up and we head out of town.

Disney does make us come in sometimes when we should not be on the roads as the govrnor asks but it is our job and we do have guests to tend to and take care of. Disney has rideout teams that take care of th park and guests when things get really bad and they also take care of some of the cast members who have nowhere to go. They let me stay in one of the resorts for $8 a night when Charley came through. So I watch and wait and then make decisions. The truly bad storms are generally predictable though we have had several that were fast and deadly. Lee's idiot children refuse to leave Key West as they say they are protected by an angel. They even drove down the road during the eye of a storm when you had to guess where the road was. So it is appropriate to do the basics and have that kit ready 365 as hurricanes are not out only disasters here. We alo sit on an earthquake plate and I have experienced two small tremors. We have an inactive volcano in the north Florida area that is so small that no one can locate it anymore and we have lightening, tornadoes, microbust and nasty thunderstorms. That is the price we pay for living in paradise.

I hope everyone is okay and I will start a chech in thread. Linda

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

What a story!

I think that makes you a qualified hurricane expert!
    Thanks for sharing that experience.

• junkyardgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Linda, that's quite a story! I've been caught in thunderstorms on the interstate that necessitated pulling over under an underpass, but never a hurricane. I'm glad you and your mom made it through.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

8:30 Wednesday night and it's raining again...

{{gwi:759725}}

• wanda662
    15 years ago

We are still getting a little rain but the water looks like it's receeding a bit.
    It has brought out some cute creatures, we had 3 otters playing in the pond!
    Anyone have the walking catfish yet? I saw one a couple of days ago.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Anyone WANT some walking catfish?You can have MINE!
    Whatever you do don't step on them.
    Grandson did so in his garden boots and the fin sliced right through boots and foot. I googled what to do as he was in excruciating pain(they eject painful venom) It said soak in ice water.glad I checked as I would have thought hot water.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I saw on CNN that walking catfish on the runway at Melbourne delayed some flights. That is one I haven't heard before!

• piri
    15 years ago

So here's my new backyard pond, picture taken just after 6pm tonight. When the sun went down after 8pm the water was up to that leafy branch you can see in the lower left. Pic taken from my 2nd floor bedroom. I'm really afraid of this coming in the back door tonight.

{{gwi:759727}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting