SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gene_washdc

Seed Savers Exchange

gene_washdc
18 years ago

Just late last year I joined the Seed Savers Exchange (I'm going to try some heirloom squash and melons this year). Last week their 2006 yearbook arrived and I was surprised to see that some of the members are offering fig cuttings. Of course one can arrange trades on this forum, get cuttings from Davis, and order from nurserys -- but I am always happy to find a new source. Here's what's being offered by members this year in way of figs: Alma, Brown Honey, Brown Turkey, Canadria, Celeste, Deanna, Dr. O'Bar's Strawberry, Eastern Brown Turkey, Excel, Golden Celeste, Golden Honey, Guilbeau, Hollier, Improved Celeste, King, LSU 156, LSU Purple, Magnolia, Old Home 1895, Foyal Vineyard, Texas Everbearing, Verte, Wuhan. The fig section is still pretty small -- in all the catagories they list 12,284 unique varieties of garden plants.

What's nice here for those who want to trade but don't have anything to offer in return yet is that SSE members purchase cuttings for $5 ($4 if you are offering items in the yearbook) from the member offering. So basically you're paying for postage. The caveat is that you become a new "germplasm repository" and hopefully will offer it to others in years to come.

Comments (6)