SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevec_gw

Should you use root hormone or not?????

stevec
18 years ago

I recently killed a number of cuttings by accident (unrelated to this discussion; yes I am a fig killer ... after a number of days of cloudy weather we had a bright, sunny, day ... I neglected to pull the blinds in front of my cuttings this day --- they cooked :^( --- the bags covering the cuttings heated up pretty good.) I took the opportunity to do an autopsy on other aspects of the plants (i.e. rooting, etc.) and found something very interesting.

Out of five cuttings that I looked at, I did not see any rooting from areas of the cutting in contact with root hormone! All roots for the cuttings came from above the hormone line. In fact, I found that the root hormone was very damp against the cuttings and the cuttings were rotting where it touched the hormone ... the areas w/o hormone were not rotting and very healthy.

Has anyone seen similar cases of this? I am wondering if I should ignore the directions to dampen the cutting prior to dipping in the hormone & maybe just apply it dry to reduce the amount that sticks to the cutting. In my case, use of the hormone was counter productive.

-Steve

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths