SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

bougainvillea...roses....oh, my!

mary_lu_gw
17 years ago

You should see me patio!!! Looks like a nursery/greenhouse with all the plants sitting there. Instead of planting what I bought yesterday, I went shopping again!

I have been trying to get a couple more W. Baffin or J. Cabot for on the fence where I took out the bittersweet last year. Sad to say I will not buy from Spring Valley Roses again. Early in March I ordered 9 Rainbow Knockout roses for shipment in mid-April. Well the last week in April I called to see what their status was. Their response was they had emailed me the first week of April that their stock was cold damaged and would not be filling the order. They charge your card as soon as the order is placed and I asked if they had credited my card back? Responded that no they were waiting to hear from me if I wanted substitutes! I said no, please credit my card. Well early last week I decided to order WB and JC from them. Called and left messages 3 times and emailed 2 times over the course of 1 1/2 weeks. Never did get a response.....so no more orders from me. Really disappointed me, as in the past I have had good dealings with them. Not sure what is going on.

Wow, sorry I got off topic. Anyway have been looking around for theses roses without having to mail order/buy "bands" and found a nursery about an hours drive away that carried both in 2 gallon size. So in the car I go.

Ended up with 2 John Cabot, 1 William Baffin, 2 Purple Queen Bougainvillea, 1 Champlain, and that was only at the first stop(will definitely go back there again)......2nd stop I got all my flowers for my pots and another rose, Bonica, jumped in my cart!

What I am thinking of doing is planting the WB and JC on the fence and then inter-planting the bougainvillea between to fill in for this year so that the panel does not look so bare. I know it is not hardy and will only be an annual, unless I cut it back and take it in for the winter. But I fell in love with it!!

Finally.....I get to my question. If you have "stuck" with me and all my rambling.....(sorry)....how big can I expect it (the bougainvillea) to get? :-)

Steven, if you see this, I think you have one planted with a rose? Am I remembering right?

Marylu

Comments (5)

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Mary Lou, I can't wait to see roses with bougainvillea!!
    I'm sorry your roses didn't come through. Can you get a few of the rainbow knockouts locally? I have not seem them for sale here. Heck, I'm still looking for a PINK knockout at a decent price. The rainbow are beautiful and would look great with the Julia Child rose I bought last weekend.
    There is something satisfying about going outside and seeing a pot ghetto. Mine is constant. I have 6 roses waiting to be planted. I don't even have beds made for them all yet!!!

GGG

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GGG...satisfying yes...but...want to get most of it in the ground before DH gets home! Got most of the roses in the ground and the bougainvillea. Now on to others..

It is so windy here today that I left the stakes and ties in and just planted them. Will remove stakes and ties another day when the wind has quieted down a little.
    {{gwi:679410}}

My "pot ghetto"
    {{gwi:679411}}
    {{gwi:679412}}

• Vikki1747
    17 years ago

Mary Lou, wowee the roses and boggie are gona look sooooo good, heck they already look great. How smart are you to put the two together? great idea. Wish I had a spot to do the same. Those beauties in your pot ghetto look wonderful. Be sure to post pictures when things get established. Its extremely windy here also, we're having gusts up to 50mph! But I'm not complaining, I keep thinking about those poor folks in Kansas...we all need to say a prayer for them. Vikki

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

The rose and bougainvillea look fantastic together! I love that color combo.
    I do have the veronica you purchased. It does quite well in our heat and humidity, flowering longer than others so it will probably be amazing for you. I love the bright pink spires, so low to the ground but so visible!
    What a nursery you have there!

GGG

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Didn't get nearly as much planted as I wanted to. Was way too windy. The poor babies would have had a hard time. So decided to put them in a protected spot and plant after work in the evenings this week. We had steady winds about 25 mph with gusts 35-38 all day today. Darn..

I am really hoping the boogie does well. Will keep you posted.

Sponsored
BlueRidge Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Polk County's Full Service Design and Support Services Firm