SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gorgi_gw

Heads Up (NJ and North East)

gorgi
15 years ago

Looking at the weather forecast for NJ...

Next Wed - Sat, lows down to 9*F.

BUT, but, but Fri's forecast is 4*F?!?! I never remember such lows here....

Hope the weather people are wrong (often, they are).

As a precaution, I'll further monitor the weather and possibility temporarily raise

both my thermostat kick-in setting and heater-output for my (cold) garage stored figs.

Where is Al G's global warming?

East Braces For Arctic Release

Published: 1/11/09, 8:58 AM EDT

Three shots of arctic air will blast the East Coast over the next week as a series of fast-moving storms deliver reinforcing shots of cold air with no time to recover. Temperatures will begin to tumble across the Northeast on Wednesday as temperatures fall well below normal from Pittsburgh to New York City. Temperatures will continue to plummet on Thursday as high temperatures average 20 degrees below normal across the Northeast. A final blast of arctic air on Friday will send temperatures to their lowest values of the winter and gusty winds will result in extremely dangerous RealFeel® temperatures. Story by AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Eric Leister

Comments (21)

• alb419_ny
    15 years ago

Gorgi,
    Here in the Rochester ny area ,According to our weatherman
    is going to go to -6 F.by Thursday,it is been a very cold winter and a lot of snow

• gorgi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, but my local USDA zone is 6(b)...

• Related Discussions

NorthEast PA - Blueberry Plant

Q

Comments (17)
    I got my lowbush wild blueberry from Edge of the Woods Nursery. It's near Fogelsville and from Bloomsburg maybe just under two hours. Worth a trip because the whole nursery is very cool. They have highbush varieties too, all are wild. Call them before you head out, they can give you advice it it's worth a trip. Also check maybe with Penn State Cooperative Extension, they may have a list of recommended cultivars. My blueberry bush took a beating this winter from devil bunnies. Here is a link that might be useful: Edge of the Woods Nursery
    ...See More

Question: Container Mango and fruit maturity in the NorthEast

Q

Comments (14)
    Oddly enough, I got a great mix of flower types on the panicles: M1, M2, and females. The problem was a complete drop of pollinated females...not sure why this was, but they all dropped. Much to my surprise, my emperor also flowered on one tiny panicle, and somehow the female on that panicle got pollinated...I didn't even know the panicle was there until I saw the little fruit growing...very odd. So I will probably get one home grown lychee to eat this year. @Ch3rri- cross pollination in lychees is a good idea if you have the space for it. @Jay- Don't give up on the sweethearts. You've been able to keep the hak ip going, so why not a sweetheart?
    ...See More

Soapstone Refinish. NorthEast Tour II

Q

Comments (5)
    There is no trip or gas charge. I drive my wife's scion, not the big truck loaded with stone. Fab jobs are much different than a refinish job. As a company you need to factor in wear and tear on vehicles, gas, tools, etc. I also now have 4 refinish, the complete install job decided to wait as everything would have happened a little to quick. Everyone should have been contacted already, one I emailed today. So if you have not been contacted through email and phone, please make sure you email me. I will have the details and schedule worked out by the end of the week.
    ...See More

North East tour again? ? ? Soapstone Refinish

Q

Comments (1)
    Forgot I'm going up the first week end in May.
    ...See More
  • peg919
    15 years ago

Berrrrrrrrrr! Supposed to be 7F here on Thurs. I'm usually about 5 degrees cooler. Have you seen the pictures of the Chehalis river overflow in Wash. Interstate 5 is underwater.
    Looks worse than Katrina. If its only cold we have we are luckier than those poor folks. Al Gore take note!

Peg

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Well i wonder if they have it all wrong about global warming too heck its going to ne 7 to 11 below with a high not above 9 thursayd here near chicago in Zone 5 which is a little colder than normal but January's can get cold here some years, perhaps we are do for ice age its been a loooong time since the last one! Also weatherman says 4th snowiest in last 125 years of record keeping here up until today with another 10 inches coming thru out the coming week. C'mon spring i want to see my tree's on the patio growing again.
    Martin

• cuddywhiffer
    15 years ago

It is now called Climate Change, so that when they are wrong about Global Warming, they are still right! We could be going into the next ice age! If anyone would like to see a critique of the AGW hype in adobe format - and it is hard hitting - please e-mail me and I will send it to you.

John.

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

Do you know how much a little hot (or cold) streak says about global warming (or cooling)? You guessed it, NOTHING! It is statistically insignificant against what really matters, the long-term trends. The biggest problem with the global warming issue is the hot heads.

Scott

• gorgi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cuddywhiffer,

That's an interesting twist!
    I'll like to get your .pdf file.
    My private email should be available if you click 'My Page'.

Better still, see:
    http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/figs4funforum/vpost?id=3222799
    Join the club, and upload your .pdf directly there for
    everybody to see, look for the 'Manage Attachments' button
    for the direct file upload (not possible here).

• eukofios
    15 years ago

My heart goes out to you guys. Are you doing anything special for your figs, did you already have them wrapped up, are you using the xmas lights method, wilt-pruf? just hoping for the best?

I was extremely worried about mine a few weeks ago and it only got into the teens. If it was getting into the 0 range.... I hate to think of it!

Good luck with your figs!

Daniel

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Daniel, mine are in containers in attached garage with a sheet thrown thrown over them thats it, garage is usually warmer than outside temp by about 10 to 15 degree's when its real cold outdoors, the warmer it gets outside the temp in garage can shoot up more than 10 to 15 difference though, this thursday it will get as cold as 10 below by me and now there saying no more than 0 for a high, i never paid attention to all this temp stuff before until i got the temp gauge for garage out of curiosity. All in all they survived the other winters so they should be fine as usual just anxious for spring as for now it seems rather far away with all this snow we are getting , oh well it will get better.
    Martin

• italiangirl74
    15 years ago

My weather man, who I think is always drinking, has just proven my theory again. Now we are having this big arctic front come through, now instead of 4 degrees, we will be at -7 degrees for 2 nights and large snow squawls, they call these white outs. Supposed to get more accumulation from these two systems, seems one after another around here. I am with Martin, the other day I was telling a family member over the phone That Spring needs to get here. I get crabby when I am cold, and this is cold. I just saw the records, in 1932 it was 69 degrees for a high, and the record low was -11 set in 1977. I sure wouldn't mind 69 degrees now. I want to get back outside with my figs again. My dormant figs are in my attic. Even when it gets real cold, it stays about 35-39 degrees up there. My others are in the garden room in a relatively nice 85 degrees. Lots of time I take a cup of coffee or a glass of wine( which I haven't had lately because of the pregnancy) in there and just sit under the growlights and take in the heat and watch all the pretty plants and dream of warmer places, while looking outside the windows at a blizzard:) Oh well, this is where I chose to live, I think were rethinking it a little more next couple years. Family is great, but they don't come around when your joints are hurting from the cold or you need help shoveling snow!!! Ciao

• dieseler
    15 years ago

We had only 3 inches yesterday eve, but they said blizzard conditions cause of the wind and visibility, it is windy out a little this morning temps are to fall all day with a low of minus 3 tonight maybe a little colder out by me no biggie, but we have another front to visit us with 2 to 5 more inches of snow. Gee the little snowblower is getting a workout this year!
    Maggie i can kind of relate to you looking at little plants under grow light as i like to do each day. We also are considering a move Maggie 1 day possibly from cold to an area with milder weather but seems like each area has its problems oh well.
    Stay warm eat well!

• eukofios
    15 years ago

Martin, Maggie,
    You are both made of tougher stuff than I am. I grew up in the prairie midwest and have also lived in Rochester NY. Moved to Pacific NW due to work. The last cold spell here, which wasn't nearly as cold as you are weathering now, had me thinking about moving south!

Glad you have garages and attics for your fig trees! I think that you have longer, warmer summers than here, so with your TLC you might very well get more figs, even though you have to haul them inside for the winter.

Keep warm, and keep dreaming about the juicy figs that summer will bring!

Daniel

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Maggie lookout its going to go your way our cold, now they say and it changes by the minute herre as well minus 13 in chicago so it should be at least that usually a tad bit colder as im further from city and it will not go above zero during the day.
    Daniel, you know you might be right about the longer summers we do get some nice ones that let me grow cantaloupes and small type watermelons, some years are real hot and some not so hot were we only get just a few 90 degree days and others summers you sneeze and start to sweat outside go figure.

• italiangirl74
    15 years ago

Martin, it is here already. This morning it is 8 outside. My dogs don't even want to go outside to do their duty!!!! :) Its just going to get worse tonight and then the rest of the week. Yuck yuck yuck. Daniel, yes, I think it takes a tough person to deal with this kind of weather, but I'm going to have to wimp out soon. We are looking into some florida property in Naples, I have relatives their, and in Miami and Daytona and Tarpon springs. We will be put up there until we buy a house. I am just not a person for such weather as this. Our summers are beautiful here however, it can get downright balmy in Central Pa during the summers, they are great, but the winters are just too long and depressing. I am the type I like to get outside and potter around with my figs and others. I can be out there all day just pruning and pinching, its my thing. Also, If I want to open up a mediterranean greenhouse, nursery, I think Florida would be more up our alley. They is a project I'm working on now. Takes alot of money, but its worth it.

• Ernie
    15 years ago

LL Bean's holiday commercial ("The snow is coming down on this New England town...") makes the NE seems so charming! And then I think about being cold all of the time...it makes 90/90 summers (90 F, 90% humidity) seem downright bearable. For those of you who dream of moving south, you'll feel right at home here in the NC Piedmont. We have a HUGE influx of folks from NJ and NY! Yes, our summers are hot and humid, but the weather is delightful from October through June. Of course, we're getting a bit of that cold air here as well -- our low on Friday night is forecast to be around 10 F (very unusual), so I too am taking precautions with my figs and other potted plants. Good luck to everyone...

As for the global warming comments, the shift to the "climate change" label hardly qualifies as vacillation. Rather, it better reflects the reality of what we face -- an overall, average warming trend that is likely to make weather a whole lot weirder (the key here is "weather" as opposed to "climate" -- there's a big difference). Some areas will be warmer, some colder, some drier, and some wetter. The climate will be warmer, but local weather may be anything but.

• dieseler
    15 years ago

The current temp outdoors is 13 below zero at 9:47am Thursday,todays high will be 2 to 3 below zero not sure what the low was last night, garage temp is 9 above with my tree's against the walls, first year gageing temp in garage but i dont remember it this cold outdoors since growing figs last 6 years and storeing them in garage. I think they will be fine though maybe a little dieback this year as they are my bigger tree's in nice size containers, a warmup soon next week in 20s they say maybe hit 30.
    Current conditions:

Mostly Sunny
    Select temperature units:

Fahrenheit Celcius
    Mostly Sunny-13 ° feels like
    -32 ° -2 High

-12 Low

Precipitation

0 % Relative Humidity 65%
    Barometer 30.59atm
    Dew Point -20 °
    Visibility 10.00 Miles
    UV Index 1 Low
    Wind Speed W 12 mph Today
    Bitterly cold. Sunny. Dangerous wind chills as low as -30F. High -3F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.

Sunrise: 7:16 am Sunset: 4:47 pm

• kiwinut
    15 years ago

You know, for most of us, these low temps are only approaching the "average annual minimum temperatures" for our zones. Zone 6b should have a typical low of 0 to -5F every winter. It used to that here up until about 10 years ago. This cold snap is only nudging us back toward what used to be "normal".

My poor figs are out in the cold with no protection. My Hardy Chicago has proven itself to be markedly hardier than all my other figs, but this should be the best test yet. Low tonight ~0 F.

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Kiwinut
    your right as weatherman says this snowfall we been getting is like the snow of the early 70s, i think the record low though is around 19 below zero for chicago and 24 in Rockford illinois current temp is 18 below. As of this date we have had a complete winter snowfall with several months left so were getting a little extra this year, soon the cold spell will break.
    I see you stated you have a hardy chicago outdoors at zero degree's thats always good information knowing about what these tree's can take. Mine are stored in garage and temp there right now is 9 above.
    Martin

• Scott F Smith
    15 years ago

It got down to 0F here last night. My figs are covered and they should be fine. I am curious how my new pomegranates will do; they are also covered but this is their first winter.

Scott

• cuddywhiffer
    15 years ago

Minus 36 F where I am last thursday night. Some pipes froze. New record cold for the last 120 years. Global Warming! Warmed up to about minus 30F last night. I do not hold out much hope for the two exceptionally hardy figs (unknown variety) I buried in the garden under a foot of mulch and now with at least 1 foot of snow on top of that, but then I wasn't planning on believing it would be a warm winter. Figs indoors are doing great in my sunny room and are growing like crazy.

John.

• kiwinut
    15 years ago

Scott, it hit 2F here, but stayed in single digits for close to 24 hours. My Kazake pomegranate has been killed to the soil line the past two winters with temps a little warmer, so I piled mulch high around it this time. It is still quite small. If it ever manages to grow up, maybe it will be as hardy as advertised.

Martin, my HC has never quite seen 0F, but it was unharmed last winter after 4F, while other figs did not fare as well. I think that much of HC's hardiness is actually due to its late bud break, which protects it from our frequent spring freezes. It does seem to hold up well every winter and has never failed me in 5 years, even in 2007, when all others were killed to the ground by the Easter freeze disaster. Now I just need to get a Sal's Fig to go with it.