SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, August 1st

The dog days of Summer for much of the country is slowly becoming the beginning of Summer for the Pacific Northwest. Low 70s and 60s and grey weather has again reared it's headed and began to dominate lately but forcasts are slowly warming up and we're expecting 'heat' this weekend into the 80s. It's not all fun and games - a recent clearing of almost all abies concolor specimens from my garden was due to a constant rash of a fungus/rust related to our cool, clammy weather. I tried a few different things to combat the problem but ever-present cool/cloudy days into the future don't seem to encourage plants from dry climates.

Enough crying on my behalf, we have nothing, NOTHING, like what most of the country is trying to deal with.

On to some plants!

Pinus parviflora 'Blue Lou' (Coenosium Gardens)- Slowish growing, somewhat narrow and good color.

Picea jezoensis 'Aurea' (Stanley and Sons)

Pinus ponderosa 'Margaret' (Dragonfly Farms - Local nursery) - I've seen two spellings, I'll go with the one seen more on google.

Picea omorika 'Buttermilk Falls' (CG) A golden, weeping omorika, very rare and choice. Bob may eventually offer grafts, I cannot remember what he said last time I asked.

Closer.

Pinus parviflora 'Richard Lee' (CG) - A tiny guy, dwarfed by this coloful sedum('Fred Ives crested').

Picea orientalis 'Weeping Dwarf' (Conifer Kingdom). Slow growing, check. Weeping? Not so much but it's irregular.

Pinus flexilis 'Little Wolf' (acquired via trade)

Cedrus libani 'Home Park' (Local nursery). More and more interesting each year. Grows 3-4 inches a year.

Pinus contorta 'Frisian Gold' (CG) to me, one of the best colored, year-round plants, and it's much healthier then 'Chief Joseph'. If I had to chose one of the two, I'd take this cultivar.

Picea omorika 'Westerstede' (Conifer Kingdom) - Somewhat narrow upright, as I have read.

Cryptomeria japonica 'Knaptonensis' (Unknown Ebay source) - Brilliant white color with some burn, even in moderate shade.

Pinus parviflora 'Iseli Select' (Conifer Kingdom)

Pinus banksiana 'Chippewa' (CG) - Slow growing and curiously the needles seem to be reach a bit towards the sun.

A landscape shot, crowded with sedum pots.

Acer palmatum 'Ariadne' - A Japanese maple that shows excellent peach, gold and lemon hues throughout the growing season.

Closer.

My mystery plant of the week. Bought as Abies lasiocarpa X shastensis 'Horstmann'. I think it's Abies magnifica var. shastensis 'Horstmann', but I'm hoping for more information.

-Will

Comments (9)