SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaineoz_gw

mulch or not?

elaineoz
16 years ago

Okay, I read this forum quite frequently but rarely post. I usually hang out on the butterfly forum, but Edna invited me over one time and I think you guys are so very knowledgable.

My question I feel is kind of stupid, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I know the benefits of mulch, i.e. it holds in moisture, prevents weeds and such.

But, I cannot seem to figure out how to plant seeds! Right now and last year I really did not have mulch. I planted lots of seeds and then when I thought about mulch, it seemed that it was too hard to mulch around seeds that hadn't come up or little tiny seedlings that were coming up! But, I spent lot of my time pulling out weeds. Same thing this year.

Also, if I had mulched befoe I did seeds, how do I plant seeds through it?

Also, what about reseeders? There are some plants that I want to reseed, but it seems the mulch would prevent it from doing that.

Also, I really like the look of a full garden, not just a few plants with a lot of mulch. I guess I have never been fond of the gardens where I can see lots of mulch between plants.

Could you please give me your thought on mulch. I need a lower-maintenence garden, but haven't figured how to use mulch with seedlings and reseeders.

Thanks,

Elaine

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH