SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmie9999

Would anyone like to help with a bare canvas?

emmie9999
16 years ago

Hello everyone:

I am Emmie, a poster on the kitchen and rose forums. I have heard lovely things about this forum, and I've been reading here a little bit from time to time!

I have a large yard in a suburb northwest of Boston, nad I would love to fill it with flowers. However, I am a horrible planner! Also, I work on a pretty tight budget, and have to convince my DH that all of this is a good idea. I keep telling him "less mowing", but he hears "more weeding!" We are both 38 years old, but we have a lot of home projects, and I have some back problems. Things move slowly.

I am posting my photobucket link below. I would love to hear ideas about what I could do with this big empty expanse, and how to fill in and around my roses. I simply don't know where to start! I see gardens and say "yes!", but they all start from somewhere, and THAT is what I cannot figure out. How do I get this little bundle of green twigs to grow into a beautiful bunch of flowers and greenery? (Patience, I know....but I get so confused!)

In any case, if you are willing to look and give some suggestions, I would love to have input! This is a learning situation for me, so I will ask lots of questions. I would love to learn from all of you, and I hope at some point I can give something back! In fact, I can share my old lilac rejuvination stories with you, if anyone is interested.

The whole property is about 1/4 of an acre. We have the lot behind our house, so we go back to the street behind us. When looking at the back of the house, the windows to the right are the kitchen. Those will be larger within a few months, as we are remodeling. My DH is deathly afraid of bees, and he really wants to keep any flowering plants away from the back of the garage. (That is the small white structure on the left in the photos.) I would love to get rid of the maple in the smack dab middle, but that could take a while. When looking from the end of the yard, east is to the right, over the neighbor's house. The tall fence to the left now blocks some of the evening west sun.

I am starting to "lasagna" the previous veggie bed, which has done so-so since we started it 7 years ago, despite amending it annually with composted manure from HD and adding Osmocote every year. Maybe I will not plant there this year? I love herbs, and would love a patch for them exclusively.

We have sandy soil. We were told it is a lot of landfill from excavating the Callahan Tunnel in Boston. However, we have access to a tiller and Freecycle brings us lots of free composted things like manure! I want to put more roses and perrenials in along the tall fence, and even more along the chainlink. However, what? How many? What shaped beds? And what do I do with the darned expanse of lawn that the PO used as a melon bed, barbeque station, and horseshoe pit?

Would anyone mind helping me get started, please?

Thanks in advance,

Emmie

Here is a link that might be useful: Emmie's yard and started gardens.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus