SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

When is Your Last Frost Date

Annie
14 years ago

Here in Oklahoma, our last frost date is April 15th, but Mother Nature doesn't always play fair. Some years spring comes very early in March and some years it can be in May before we have our last frost, freeze or even snowfall. Many times, I have pinned plastic trash bags around the tomato cages and made paper hats held down with rocks for nights when there is a frost or freeze in the forecast. Sometimes it looks like a junk yard with all the buckets and blankets and pots over everything tender. Can't cover the fruit trees though and that really makes me sick to lose them.

I live right on the zone dividing line of 6b and 7a. On the average, it is usually safe to plant after April 15th for zone 6b, but April 1st is the last frost date in zone 7a, so it goes either way for where I live here on this south facing ridge.

When I plant a big garden with lots of tomatoes, it is impossible for me to cover them all, and this year I have over a 100 tomato plants, alone.

So, I will plant out the biggest ones in gallon pots next week and see how the weather goes. They are already hardened off.

How about you? When is your last frost date?

~Annie

Comments (22)

Sponsored