SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fognoggin

Thuja Green Giant progress - Panoramic Photo

fognoggin
15 years ago

My Thuja GG's after 3 years -

I've gotten so much useful info from this site that I'd thought I'd give back a little. In April 2005 I ordered a box of 18 Thuja Green Giant seedlings off of eBay. I planted a row of 10" seedlings 2.5' in from my property line and spaced the trees 5'. This is Zone 5 in the Hudson Valley of NY. Here's a photo taken July 12, 2008 standing in my backyard. You can see why I'm trying to grow some privacy. More information after the photo.

I've always read that these trees take a while to get established, and then grow well. This seems to be the case as growth was slow up to a point and then rapid. When these trees finally became about 2' tall, they grew very well.

Tree 1 is about average at 4'.

Tree 2 was decimated by my neighbor's weed whacker in it's youth down to about 4". It's recovered very nicely and growing well.

Trees 4 and 5 are the champs at about 7'.

Trees 9-17 are the runts, but since they reached 2' they all are exhibiting accelerated growth and are catching up to the rest.

Tree 18 is another good grower at about 5'.

Why the range of difference between trees planted at the same time? It's a mystery. Perhaps soil differences, I never had it analyzed. The row runs directly West-East. Some trees get more shade than others, and I'm guessing that the almost constant sun that 9-17 get is a factor in their slow growth. The pool isn't a factor as it was only installed last summer and gets limited use.

If you could see to the right of this photo you'd see a row of 11 more Thuja GG's planted perpendicular to this one. I bought these 4 months ago at 3' from a nursery in Georgia. They're doing very well and have already grown about 1'.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy all at 3'. It's not terribly expensive and you get much faster results. The 18 seedlings, about 10" tall, cost $35. The eleven 3' trees cost $276.

I've fertilized with slow release Osmocote (pink cap) and never pampered these trees. They weren't watered very much, have experienced drought and excessive grass/weed growth and the base.

It's like raising children. I can't wait for my privacy fence to grow up.

Comments (16)