SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Ichauway Dog Cemetery and Mule Barn

Nell Jean
15 years ago

Ichauway Plantation still holds quail hunts. During the tour today, we saw the kennels, the mule barn (the wagon we rode on for the tour was pulled by a pickup truck; on hunts, the wagons are pulled by teams of mules) and the cemetery where Mr. Woodruff's favorite hunting dogs are buried.
{{gwi:666018}}

Hit Escape if you prefer to view the pictures one by one, when you reach the slideshow. It takes a few seconds to load.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Cemetery, Mule Barn and Kennels

Comments (2)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Do they still hunt?? I would seem cruel if they did not...these animals are bred and trained for it.....

Nancy.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They do still hunt, in quail season. I'm not sure just WHO hunts, but I understand that hunters come from far away to quail plantations. This one just happens to be a scientific lab as well. They study the effects of fire on pine forests, and the butterfly garden is used for teaching -- schoolteachers come for workshops. Those are just a couple of the things that go on there. We met several graduate students who are studying various plants or animals, or soil or water.

Here is a link that might be useful: More than you probably want to know about quail and plantations and pine forests

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor