SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Let's Share Information about Soil Types and Planting Methods

gardener365
14 years ago

Black non-clay loamy soils are the easiest, that's for sure. Nothing special is 'required'. I really don't know how many directions this can go, but if you want to talk about anything from building big berms to keeping it simple, that would be great.

This is "loamy clay" which settles beautifully but I've learned to go two inches above the level of soil in any one-gallon container and more for larger plants. That describes perfectly what I do here. I also berm everything anywhere from a 1-gallon plant up 3-4" off the ground up to I measured 9" on a 4-5 foot (15-gal?) Pinus koraiensis where the roots were maticuosly, perfect. When I dig a hole I backfill all the smaller media pieces ranging 4-6" for the rootball to rest on and I dig/till a hole 2-3 feet wide (a little extreme, 2' should be plenty), for a one-gallon root system. Then one key thing for this soil type is to drive the space into the walls of the hole to create pockets for the roots to lead into whether by hand placement or them finding their own way to them. I like to unwind the roots and get them going in the right direction sepearting crossing root branches. Often my planting hole also has a mound in the center because I have done so much work untangling most often a mess. Then they are tucked into the crevasices looking something like a squid with it's body upright and its' tentacles branching.

This is what it looks like when tilled very wet:

Same general area after hand watering and .5" rain that same day:

{{gwi:768621}}

Same conifer shown above after the rain:

{{gwi:768623}}

This is what it looks like way down:

{{gwi:768625}}

Loamy clay: when tilled dry is a dusty consistency and when tilled wet will produce between 1" to 3-4" clumps which those larger clumps can then be ground up into 1" pieces or smaller, by hand. The top layer of my stuff always dries up very fast creating a mat or sheet a few inches down but stays very wet below for a long time. Best I can personally say.

Thanks for the effort.

Dax

Comments (12)