SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Daylilies in the Cottage Garden

Nell Jean
14 years ago

Do you grow daylilies in your cottage garden?

When I visit the Daylily Forum, they seem to be about the latest cultivars, form and bloom. I use daylilies as I use other plants in the garden, for filler, color and edging. Older cultivars are inexpensive. They come in most colors, except blue. Big ones fill huge gaps; tiny ones make great edging plants.

How do you use daylilies, if you do, in a cottage garden?

Nell

Comments (31)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

I put them in randomly, as I think they look their best 'spread out'. There is only one area of the garden that I have several kinds planted together in a little patch.
    Often, my cheif interest in them is the foliage. I plop a daylily in where I see the need for the kind of texture their strappy foliage provides.

I actually have very few kinds of daylilies, in comparison to some. I think the daylily fad is slightly rediculous. Why would someone pay $500+ for a new type of daylily? Its not as if they come out with any new colors or anything. I know I would get booed and hissed of the Daylily Forum for saying this, but I honestly cannot tell the difference between the $$$ ones and the dollar daylilies.

I think I have just a little over a dozen, several of which were free 'gifts' with purchace. My favorite is my 'Houdini', which has deep, velvety maroon/purple flowers. I know it is very common, but I really love the Stella d' Oro too.

Does anyone have that cultivar with the variegated foliage? Golden Zebra was it? What do you think of it?
    CMK

• leafy02
    14 years ago

As I have a real daylily fanatic in the extended family, I've always had a steady supply of them, free for the asking.

Still, I have mostly used them as fillers where I had an empty spot and no money to put in something "better", because the bloom period is so short and my garden was so tiny I didn't want to give much space to a plant for just a couple of weeks of color.

Now we recently moved to a much larger yard--and I am planning to use them more. I know I can extend the season by getting early and late bloomers, and maybe now that I have the space, I'll try harder to do that.

• Related Discussions

Tulips Blooming!

Q

Comments (6)
    Oh yay!! This gives so much hope to us in the lower zones, that things WILL bloom here eventually too. That purple tulip of yours is very nice. Every year I tell myself I need to pick out a purple one and never do. ;-* Like that you mark all of your plants. I try and commit names to memory, but for the life of me I can't keep all my ferns straight! Yours look very long lasting and well made...might have to try some similar ones out. I love the Queen of Nights too. They are such late bloomers that one can even plant some early blooming perennials with them. I have mine with a bright orange 'Fireball' Geum and like the combo a lot. Thanks for the Happy Pics ;-) CMK
    ...See More

Daylilies and More Cottage Garden

Q

Comments (8)
    Definitely says cottage to me! It looks like a place you can be quite comfortable in while enjoying the bright colors and sights. I love the "aged" look of the garden, lots of volunteers and seedlings weaving through, making new magic. Those pink hollyhocks are just lovely, and the black and blue salvia practically glows it's so blue. I'd like to see more of that twig arbor that is just peeking out in the photo.
    ...See More

Trip To Cottage Gardens Daylilies

Q

Comments (7)
    I especially liked Early Beauty and Dallas Star. The clump of Marked By Lydia also caught my attention. Thanks for posting. I got another battery for situations like this, but you know, Murpy's Law applies. This post was edited by mantis__oh on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 6:13
    ...See More

Cottage Gardens Trip

Q

Comments (5)
    Cindy: Just saw the other post on CG and saw you visited also. Isn't Brent the nicest person? You got some wonderful bargains. Thanks for sharing your trip. I have yet to visit his garden but I will AFTER the AHS REGION 4 tour. I live only 1 hour away and you would think I would have done it by now LOL. Thanks for the tour. Julia
    ...See More
  • memo3
    14 years ago

I have a lot of Daylilies, Nell. I was inspired by MaryLu's Daylily garden. I made a bulk purchase of 50 different plants. At the time, they were all named. They are spaced throughout my largest flowerbed and my intention is to fill in around all of them with other plants. This is the third year when they are supposed to leap so now I'll know how much space I'll have between each to fit in other things (the reason I have so much mulch showing right now, I've been waiting to see...). Some of mine are re-blooming so my color show goes from early summer, just following the Asian and oriental lilies, and on into early fall. They finish just ahead of the hollyhocks which are the last of my bloomers in late September.

I don't know the names of them anymore because I wrote the names on bricks with a permanent garden marker and threw away the tags that were loosely attached to the root stalks. Over time the ink soaked into most of the bricks and I couldn't read many of them anymore, so I just removed all the bricks from the garden. I really didn't care what they were "named" after all. I'm mostly just interested in color. Oh well!

If you like daylilies and are mostly just interested in fillers and color the site below has great deals on bulk purchases. They also have a few other types of plants that they sell in bulk too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gilber H. Wild

• token28001
    14 years ago

I have ditch lilies in my perennial bed. I like the way they shoot up over most of the other plants. I group them in clumps of three and scatter the groups among the other flowers. I have seedlings from Stella D'Oro seed pods. Not sure what I'll get from them. Will have to wait til next year to watch them bloom.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

Most of the daylilies in my beds right now are orange ditch lilies. In my old garden I had stella d'oro - very nice. I fell into the 'plant of the year' trap a couple of years ago, and purchase two rather expensive 'Pardon Me' roots - never even saw a sprout!!! I feel burned by the hybrid thing. I'd buy some only at yard or church sales.

Nancy.

• DYH
    14 years ago

At a prior home (without a deer problem), I grew a whole garden of daylilies and was heading down the path of a collector. I bought from a grower/breeder and she always dug up big clumps for me so that I didn't feel like I was paying astronomical prices (but that was many years ago). Then, I moved to deer country.

Now, I have a few Stella d'Oro in the cottage garden around a few edges to be fillers.

In one bed that is based on yellow, white and purple, I am using Happy Returns and Joan Senior -- not expensive, but reliable. I've been looking for Rosy Returns for another bed, but they seem to have disappeared! I found a few at that nursery that can't be named, but they had just been repotted from small to large pots, so I felt that they weren't ready/were too expensive because I had just missed the small pot price.

I don't have any outside the fence because of the deer.

Cameron

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

Wow, memo, did I really inspire you? :-) Don't feel bad about losing the names. All of mine are/were named too, but my tags have gotten lost on most. I did take pictures the first year of the blooms on each and labeled the pictures. So I can still name most of them. But it really doesn't matter that much to me.

Nell, my large DL bed was actually all my DH's doing. I moved a couple DLs that he had picked out from the garden room as they grew too tall. Well, he wanted to know just where did I think I was going to put them? So we ended up with a large bed of 50+ DLs in another part of the yard that DH picked out all by himself! However, I do have them scattered in other areas of the yard as well. They are so easy care and such wonderful colors.
    {{gwi:662924}}
    {{gwi:662925}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

My Daylilies are scattered throughout the garden with a border of them down the side of the driveway. There's also a small bed of daylilies in front of our porch. Give or take a few there's around 50 varieties but none of them cost an arm and a leg.
    Hemerocallis have come along way in the last 10 or so years, there are some very unique drop dead gorgeous varieties being hybridized and slowly appearing on the market, but, like everything new costalota :o).

I really like them as they are an easy care plant, look good for a long time and they bloom for a decent length time. When mine finish blooming I usually cut the whole plant down, new leaves spring up in no time at all and at least they look decent right into fall.

The narrow border in our driveway is actually looking quite pretty right now, last year I planted creeping phlox in front of the daylilies. I also have a couple of plants of 'Chocolate Chip' Ajuga there also which I'm going to divide and spread along the border. The creeping Veronica in the lawn has also crept into the border but I'm leaving it for now. No flowers on the daylilies yet it will be another month or so, here's a closer look at what's happening.

{{gwi:662926}}

Yes that is a weed at the base of the daylily.

Annette...who is still and always will be dancin' with weeds :o)

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Daylilies are a lifetime fav of mine. I prefer them intermingled with other plants.
    This opened today.

{{gwi:662927}}

This one belongs to my son, I am flower sitting until his hardscaping is done.

{{gwi:662928}}

I have several that have rust. I am having a hard time deciding whether to toss them or not.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I love daylilies. But I stay with the older, simpler varieties and I never every pay outrageous prices for them.
    Gilbert Wild & Son is where I got started. They are not too far from me , but I always mail order. They have some good sales going on right now. I have several but I just place them here and there. I also started a couple of years ago saving seed, planting under lights and then planting in nursery rows in the garden to see what I come up with. I divided my Hyperion three years ago and still have a 20-foot row in the garden to 'relocate' somewhere. I have some seedlings that should bloom this year and a few from Joan Senior that I planted last fall and also some Chorus Line seedlings. It is lots of fun to see what they turn out to be....even though you have to wait a couple of years for them.

Nancy, I love your son's daylily. Do you know the name? I have seen it before in catalogs....I am always drawn to the pastels.

Here is one seedling bloom:

{{gwi:662929}}

• bekcgarden
    14 years ago

For a very long time, I thought they only came in yellows & oranges and I don't really do those colors much. Now that I live in a wonderful home with a wonderful husband (who pointed out just how many daylilies there are), I have grown to really love them. I have a new burm in which I have just two lilies, geranium (hardy, and a few) & daylilies. I purchased 3(didn't spend a lot)& replanted two from another part of the garden they weren't doing well in. The rest are in a different area of our yard...they came with the house :)

• treelover
    14 years ago

I grow them for the colors and fragrance, and tuck them in wherever there's room. Never thought about the foliage much...though it is nice looking.

My favorites are the naturalized orange ones (ditch lilies?) that I remember from up north, and the yellow ones that my mother used to call lemon lilies...they smelled like lemon. I don't care for the exotic colors with the crinkled edges. To me they always look like they have a virus.

You must have some specially tasty ones, Cameron. I had hundreds in the woods up in PA years ago and the deer there never bothered them.

That's a lovely one, gldno1. Do you know what it's called?

• phill173
    14 years ago

I guess I don't care much for orange-yellows, preferring lemon- or butter-yellows, so I avoid Stella D'Oro and have random patches of Hyperion and Happy Returns. I have had Hyperion for many years and love it. It may be an oldie, but it is a goodie and it is very nicely scented. I also like Joan Senior, also another oldie but goodie. I am not interested in the new varieties, but I am interested in rebloomers, so I like hearing about those.

• Annie
    14 years ago

I love Daylilies!

I have been buying them when I can over the years, but can't afford those new varieties. They grow really well here in Oklahoma and when you find something that grows well in Oklahoma, you want more of that! I hope to accumulate more of them. Don't care what their names are - just like their colors and hardiness. I am a foliage person, so that is always a biggy for me. As with irises, some people hate the foliage and others love it.

I have some in the various outer garden areas and mixed in here and there near the roses closer to the house in my more intensely gardened areas, but do have one small bed of them out back under a Redbud tree where they grow lush and bloom extremely well. I hope to expand them out into the new beds that need more summer color and green foliage to fill in the otherwise sparsely planted beds.

They have daylily festivals here in the state but have never gone to any. Too far away and never have the money anyway. They also sell them at the Herb Fests in April. I didn't get to go this year. The weather was UN-pleasant this year. We had ice and snow and freezes. I don't know if they even had my favorite festival this year due to the extremely cold weather.

I have the old-fashioned yellow-orange daylilies too. They can take any kind of weather and are old faithfuls. They can become invasive though. Oh my yes!

MaryLu, your display garden is breathtakingly gorgeous! I love the flow of colors and foliage. Very inspirational. Thanks for posting that picture.

~Annie

• dawiff
    14 years ago

Oh I love daylilies! I used to have quite a few in my garden when we lived in Massachusetts. I've never bought the newest varieties though. They all tend to look alike after a while. Here are two of my favorites.

Barbara Mitchell

{{gwi:662930}}

Strawberry Candy

{{gwi:662931}}

I prefer them mixed up with other flowers, but I have to say those pictures of MaryLu's garden are very impressive. I remember my mom telling me when I was little that she didn't want daylilies in her garden because they were weeds. She was thinking of the ditch lilies, so of course, as soon as I started a garden of my own, ditch lilies were one of the first things I planted.

I miss that garden in Massachusetts so much.

• spazzycat_1
    14 years ago

I have them scattered throughout the garden, mixed in with other plants. I have to limit their use because of the deer. I have a friend who has given me some lovely daylilies and I ordered some that I really liked after seeing them in the daylily garden at the National Arboretum in Wash, DC. My favorites are 'Strawberry Velvet' and 'Always Afternoon'.

'Always Afternoon':

{{gwi:662932}}

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Treelover, it is just from a seed I collected from one of my unnamed ones....no name. I should have a few more seedlings bloom this year.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Here are a couple more...

{{gwi:662933}}

Little wart
    {{gwi:662934}}

{{gwi:662935}}

{{gwi:662937}}

{{gwi:662938}}

{{gwi:662939}}

{{gwi:662940}}

• Deb Chickenmom
    14 years ago

I'd never had any type of daylily and bought some Stella a couple of years ago. They have multiplied and do well in the heat here, but the yellow is beginning to look too orange to me. I ordered Happy Returns and hope it will be a softer more pastel yellow. If it does well I will have to decide whether I dislike the orange/yellow of Stella enough to pull them all out.

• janen
    14 years ago

plantmaven - what is the name of the pink frilly one right below "Little Wart"? It's so beautiful !

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

I have them scattered, and in their own beds.
    Last year's jungle in front of the LR window:
    {{gwi:662941}}

A dedicated section to DLs in the flagpole area

{{gwi:493120}}

The desperately-needs-weeding exclusive daylily bed (save a couple of peonies tossed in there) last July.

{{gwi:662942}}

I find them so versatile and easy to move that I do move them around every year. Someone mentioned Hyperion...I think I have that one...it's a gorgeous yellow and OH so fragrant! I moved it last year to a bed with Raspberry Wine Monarda and a "Frost" Sedum. Will have pix later in the season to see how that combo turned out.

I never put ditch lilies in my garden spaces...they're too unruly and misbehaved around here.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

mmqch...
    your gardens are stunning.!
    I don't do ditch lilies either.

Janen, I have no idea, as they were here when I bought the house. Today that one has 7 blooms! I'll post a pic. later.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

mmqch and Nancy, beautiful daylilies, each and everyone. Makes me anxious for mine and I don't even have buds yet. Oh, I do have a tiny one that is gold with a burgundy eye that began blooming.

I inherited a sort of ditch lily, but I think it is Kwanso, it is a twisty orange bitone that is double. It does multiply like crazy though.

• ajpa
    14 years ago

I only have the common orange daylily. It's beside the mailbox.
    I think a couple showed up in the flower bed though.
    I love the look of them on a slope, though.
    I'd love to get more lilies -- day or tiger -- all sorts.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

yep, that would be Kwanso. I only have the single version here, and I know I had a pile of the Kwanso recently that I dug out from a different spot that I bought a couple years ago, but they never bloomed (who knew daylilies wouldn't like it on the shady side of my house...DUH!)...to put in another spot...wonder what happened to them. (Is it usual & customary to 'lose' a whole pile of plants that you dug up, but you know you didn't replant anywhere??? I think I'm going insane. Must locate them when I get home from work.)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some of my favs, blooming now:
    Fairy Tale Pink{{gwi:662943}}From Daylilies

Citrina {{gwi:662944}}From Daylilies

Siloam Ury Winniford{{gwi:662945}}From Daylilies

Sammy Russell with Blackout Lilies{{gwi:662946}}From Daylilies

Nell

• threedogsmom
    14 years ago

Our current house has a curved patio and the previous owners planted ditch lilies around the perimeter of the patio in 1 section, and they bloom in July for me. I like them because they form a 2 ft high "wall" around the edge of the patio and when they all bloom, it looks very nice. However, shortly after that, they start to look ratty and I have to groom them. Then by September, they have put forth a whole new set of clean green leaves and look nice again, just in time for fall.
    I have purchased other daylilies and use them as specimen plants in various beds. I like the shape of the foliage in contrast with the other plants, and I think the flowers provide nice pops of color.
    In my "hot color bed" I rely on daylilies in shades of bright yellow, dark red, and orange. They mix well with the other plants, their abundant foliage acts as a filler for extra garden space too.
    However my favorite thing about daylilies is the fact they multiply so well and you can save alot of $ by dividing your daylilies and spreading them around your yard. They are also very good passalong plants ! I just got 3 divisions from my SIL who is moving so I am plant-sitting all her stuff at my house. I planted them in a holding bed until I can see what their colors are.
    I think daylilies are an invaluable addition to the cottage garden, no matter what colors you choose !!

• lavendrfem
    14 years ago

I have a daylily and asiatic lily bed in pinks, yellows, and peach. I planted a purple daylily near this bed that isn't blooming yet. I'll get a picture when everything is in bloom. This year I'm planting plum tart gladiolas in that bed too.

Nell - I love that Siloam Wry Winniford... beautiful. I'm growing a type of siloam from seed (I don't remember because I got the seeds in an exchange)...I hope it looks like yours!

• dani_plus_2
    14 years ago

Not everyone in the Daylily forum buys the expensive ones. There are quite a few people who love them all! I aim for the older, blooms like crazy daylilies. I did get a few naughty ones this year, but I won't be spending over $40 any time soon. I got Pink Stripes for $75 which seems crazy, I know, but there aren't striped daylilies out there. I want to use him to hybridize. Plus, I just LOVE him!!! I would NEVER buy the $150-500 ones. Yikes. But to each their own obsession, you know?
    {{gwi:662947}} pink stripes

I use mine everywhere! You can get them to bloom at different times so that when one stops, you have another raring to go.
    {{gwi:662948}}
    {{gwi:662949}}

Here's my garden from last year...I put more daylilies, hostas and siberians back there this year. I can't wait unitl NEXT year!!!

Dani

• remontant
    14 years ago

Everyone's garden photos are so lovely! I was thinking of thinning out my DLs this year because they seem to all bloom at once and not for very long. I don't feel this way about my irises which have about one month +/- bloom time between them. Maybe I should get a Hyperion or Joan Senior to extend my season a bit?

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

mary lu- Love the pictures of your daylily beds. I love it when people show a garden overview not just the closeps as I really like to see how everyones gardens look.

mmqch- I have to agree, your gardens are stunning. Again love the overview so I can see how you have used daylilies in your garden.

Nell- I love daylilies in fact I have about 400 of them and thats a lot considering all the other plants I also have in the garden. You can't beat daylilies for summer color. While many of us on the daylily forum are into the newer varieties (after all, it is the daylily forum, what can you expect?) most of us appreciate the older ones as well. Heck, most of us have many older ones, some of us have almost all older ones. I always say that the price of a daylily does not reflect its beauty.

To add to what dani plus 2 said about buying under $40.00 daylilies. To me that would be an inexpensive daylily but not everyone even wants to spent that much. There are many daylilies for $10-15 or even under. I hope price never stops anyone from adding daylilies to their garden. Don't get discouraged by the wopping prices on new intros. Those prices never last anyway and many times those intros dissappear into obscurity themselves in a few years. The oldies but goodies have passed the test of time and I think most will always be around.

If I had unlimited room I would have lots and lots of older ones as well as the newest. But since my room is limited I choose to add newer things because they appeal to me. Still, I just don't buy the pricey southern bred because they often don't do well for me and I buy from my favorite northern hybridizers.

As to how I personally do daylilies I have them in their own beds and I have them mixed in with other things growing here. They look great both ways.