SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Surprises and Disappointments

What plants did you loose over the winter? What plants made it that you are surprised about? Excepting the late-risers, most everything that is not dead should be up now (here at least).

I was happily surprised that my Pink Cow Parsley came back. This was my first year with it and I really wasn't sure of its hardiness. I am also glad all of the plants I transplanted from the back shade garden made it; I expected at least one death. I am also surprised about my Ballota nigra 'Archer's Variety', which is comming back well. Someone here told me that it might not survive, but it did so I am very happy.

My other Ballota (pseudodictamnus and acetabulosa)do not look so good though.

;-( They do have little sprouts comming on, but not much. And they still have to get through the rainy season, which is sometimes too much for real drough-lovers.

Thankfully I did not loose much this winter. There were a couple of semi-hardy things I think might be dead, but I expected that. I am a little worried about the Bugbane (Actea) and Waxbells (Kirengeshoma). But I suspect they might be late-risers, like my Eupatoriums.

My Francoa sonchifolia and Omphalodes cappadocia look bad. I am crossing my fingers for them.

One Sedum died (wasn't doing too good last summer either) and I think the Agastaches died as well (though they have surprised me before by comming up very late). I am no longer buying Agastaches that are not the foeniculum sort; they just don't like our wet winters.

The thing I am REALLY upset about is the loss of my Pulsatilla (Pasque Flower). I LOVED this plant! I really need to get a new one now, I don't want to go a spring without it! I guess it wasn't as long-lived a plant as I imagined it would be.

So, what are you surprised or disappointed about?

CMK

Comments (22)

Sponsored