SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

Poppy questions - Can you help?

Lcgrace Mahoney
15 years ago

I've accumulated a dozen little packets of poppy seeds from trades and sharing. I was told to just sprinkle them in the snow and let them go!

well...of course, I've got to put too much thought into it...and besides, our snow, I think, is finished! :)

I have a full sun front bed which is very large. Should I scatter the seeds all over the place? or should I scatter them in more of a clumping pattern?

I've scattered other things and they just die off or get lost...disappear during the year. The bed is so sparse! I'm really REALLY hoping to fill it in with things this year. I've been spring and winter sowing and I want to get out there and direct sow some things this weekend...it is early, so I'll save all of the the tender things for next month.

I realize that it's a matter of choice on how I want it to look but planting out has been my drawback. If I scatter the seeds and don't know what the plant should look like, then I end up pulling it because it looks like a weed. I'm thinking that if I plant in areas or clumps, it will be easier to identify that "something purposeful" is growing.

Any thoughts would help! I'm not even sure whether these poppies will only bloom for a certain time (like iris or lily) or if they continue to bloom thru the season. My goal is to try my best to make this bed look full...full of green and full of color. I've got lots and lots of zinnia to try to plant around and fill in...when the time is right.

Thanks to much! LcGrace

Comments (24)

Sponsored