SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andi956

4th year in a row & I'm too overwhelmed to plant!

andi956
17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

It’s the 4th year that I’ve lived in my house and done next to nothing with the front landscaping -- mostly because I’ve felt overwhelmed whenever I attempted a garden plan.

I’ve read garden books, looked at BHG plans, driven around for inspiration, read gardenweb, cut out magazine pictures, and I even downloaded the BBC software in an attempt at a plan (but my brain doesn’t seem to work that way!) Yet…I still can’t seem to “see” a vision for my own place! I’ve thought about just going an buying a few things and hoping for the best, but know that’s probably not the answer!

I can't bear one more year of barren front lawn.

I would be *so* grateful for anyone’s advice on how to make this house cuter! I am particularly concerned about the front bed. It’s 25’ long x 4.5’ deep but I'm open to widening it and to changing its shape. I love curves. I want some structure, but cute structure…not bushes in a row.

My house photos can be seen (I hope) at http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/andi956/ (If you view all you can scroll and see some of the back yard, side, and interior…also works in progress. You can also see other houses that I think are cute and similar in style�"no mansions.).

I'm in TN--zone 6. The front of the house faces

East. I had my *lawn* soil tested and they said the Phosphorus was high (at 84) and Potassium was low (at 46). Water PH was 7. The **front flower bed** water was PH 6.2, phosphorus was 120+ V and Potassium was 130M. I am trying my hand at composting and hope to be able to amend the soil. Until then, I plan to buy some humus.

Given the shade (and possibility of changing it if I cut the maple), I’d considered Euonymus, laurel/spotted laurel/ yew/cute boxwoods planted in V shapes…maybe one holly on the far right for height to break up the horizontal lines. Maybe just hostas and annuals since that’s easy. It’s not the cottage look I want, but I might be able to live with it if I can get that elsewhere.

But…I can’t *see* it.

Anyone suggest other software I might try? I guess I am "challenged" as I couldn't get the hang of adobe or BBC! (I did try using "paint" in microsoft)

I would add that:

1. The paint on the cinderblocks needs to change�"probably to a neutral color? Maybe it should match the stone of the walkway? (Or be just slightly darker?) Any specific recommendations?

2. I had thought about a porch but due to the fact that I doubt I'd use it *and* problems with trying to get a permit to build deeper, I'm just going to just change the porch covering to something prettier. (If you look on the photobucket page you’ll see one attempt!)

3. I haven’t decided whether or not to cut down the maple. It’s an expensive proposition and it seems cruel and un-ecofriendly! So, for now I’d like to work with it. On the downside, it means I get a lot of shade�"not good for the cottage look I love. Should I make peace with removing it? Or, just enjoy flowers along the front of the fence and in the new "welcome garden"?

4. You can see the side “welcome” lasagna bed that I started this fall. I hope to put some flowers there (and eventually shrubs…) I also started beds in front of the fend (this is narrow as there’s a ditch there, but maybe just some little annuals to soften it up).

Thanks, in advance, everyone. I think I've given all the pertinent info, but if you need anything else, let me know.

Comments (36)

• memo3
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is this your house?
    {{gwi:660432}}
    I hope that's right. There were so many in there.

MeMo

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes. Thanks. I can never figure the tech stuff out.
    There's another called "front of house" and "front" that show other views without the Xmas stuff (which actually looks a bit junky in this photo!).

Thanks, so much. (As you can tell from all the sample house photos in my photobucket...i've been at it a long time!)

• Related Discussions

4th year of rose garden..it's true

Q

Comments (8)
    mzstitch............ I am gardening in glacier slurry/subsoil and after several years of mulching, watering and feeding, the soil in my more mature garden truly is easier to work in than when I planted my first roses. I am adding 10 new roses and taking out 9 and moving a few around and have found that it is a LOT easier to work in the rose beds than it was when the garden was young. Sidos-House ... I don't feel comfortable giving you any pruning advice as I have found that I prune very differently in this climate than I did in my older climate. I think it truly depends on the rose as to the best pruning method to use. When it comes to dis-budding, I feel very comfortable sharing my experience because the results do not appear to be so climate-determined or class-determined. I dis-bud my roses every year to keep rose curculios from breeding in my garden and have had the opportunity to observe the impact of this practice in my garden. I now use the technique for any stressed rose and any newly planted rose. SAS .... I think every rose gardener deserves to experience the joy of a more mature rose garden. It's up to us to educate them. I was lucky to have a mentor who taught me that patience is the gardener's most effective tool for success. Smiles, Lyn
    ...See More

I'm overwhelmed

Q

Comments (1)
    It looks like it may be sticky chickweed (Cerastium glomeratum). Repeat applications of Weed B Gone used in conjunction with a pre-emergent herbicide such as pendamethalin should remove it over time. FYI ...sticky chickweed is a winter annual.
    ...See More

How Much is Too Much Homework for a 4th Grader?

Q

Comments (30)
    Geogirl has a good point. There may be services available to your son--but you have to know about them and ask for them in order for him to get them. Again, my nephew's disability is physical, so not an exact comparison to your son, but he is also completely mainstreamed. And that has caused some problems, because he's not in a special ed classroom with a special ed teacher who knows about all the resources. There's a ton of adaptive equipment that the school has, like rulers and compasses and protractors, but no one thinks ahead that during math lessons that use these, it might be a good idea to have them in the classroom for Nephew to use. He can't hold or move a standard ruler very well. But the classroom teacher doesn't know they exist, and the special ed teacher never sees the lesson plans. So what happens is that a week is spent sending notes back and forth between home and school and finally the necessary adaptive equipment is identified and located and given to Nephew. And then the next week, the class moves on to a new lesson topic. My brother and SIL have found that they need to really be on top of some of this stuff and remind the teachers repeatedly, to make sure that Nephew gets what he needs. And this is with a school system that is really trying to work with them--from the start they have been very willing to try new things, to keep Nephew in a regular class (he has health issues so a home nurse accompanies him to school daily), to really try and get him the best education possible. I can't imagine what it would be like with a school system that had less money or no desire to really work for Nephew. My brother constantly gets, "Sure, we have X equipment. All Nephew has to do is ask for it." But it can takes days or weeks to find out the school has the equipment. My brother finally broke down and asked for a list of every single piece of adaptive equipment the school system has, so that they can ask for things without spending days sending notes back and forth. It's the little things like this--yes, the school can help, but you have to know what to ask for in order to get that help. And if you don't know the help exists, it's pretty near impossible to get that help. I would encourage you to ask about other options and find out what's out there. Pull-out sessions, one-on-one aides for certain subjects, extra tutoring, whatever the school has to offer. Ask other parents what support services their kids are getting. And when you identify a specific problem, be it that it takes your son half an hour to figure out what the homework assignment is or that after weeks of your working with him, he still is not grasping a specific concept, go to the teacher and ask what can be done to address that issue. The regular classroom teachers aren't going to know everything that's available, they have too many kids with too many different needs in one classroom, but they should be able to help you find out what's out there, or point you in the right direction.
    ...See More

4th year Titan Arum iin my bathroom

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm no expert in these, although I have a 3rd year titan from a friend's leaf cutting, The question is how much did the corm weigh before you planted it this year? My other question is how much light your plant is getting, because where you have it set now doesn't look like it would get enough sunlight to actually bloom regardless of the size? It's hard to tell how deep the container is, but I suspect that many people plant the corm too shallow, which means that roots growing from the top of the old corm are also too shallow, causing new growth to fall over too easily. Can you move it outdoors into bright shade, where wind won't knock it over? I could be all wrong but these are my impressions. Rick in CT
    ...See More
  • andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's an attempt!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:660406}}

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry...for the life of me I can't get the image to post within the post, but here's the view from the street so you can see the gigantic maple!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:41443}}

• debbieca
    17 years ago

What I notice about all the "I like this" photos is there is more contrast in color. Your house body color and the shutters/trim are very close in color. If you paint the foundation area a deeper neutral color, you might bring that brighter blue up onto the trim in some way. The path and fence are very cute, you just need flowers : )

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Ok, going by the sort of questions on your photobucket photo headings, the "what makes this house so cute" is architecture. The houses you most like have a roof that hangs out over the home just a little bit (at least), some have the gable strut thingys (I do not know the real name for them), there are porches, little "ins and outs" where rooms are slightly different sizes, broader stairs, centered doors, and almost all look like they have had some recent work done to their exterior.
    That said, your house is very cute. Why not take a little of this and a little of that from houses you like (which are doable). Which home colors do you like the best? What do you like about them?
    One thing I notice that you seem to like about the colors are homes with more saturated color than your own, and a higher contrast of the main body color to the trim. I love the red door! That looks great with the blue.
    If you want to change those cinderblocks, you can REALLY easily. There is a catalog called Outwater. It has the most amazing stuff in the universe in there. Designers and stage/set designers use it all the time, and we are using many items in there too. You can get panels of fake but very REAL looking stacked stone that glue to the cinder block with construction glues. And not just the stacked stone but also other facings.
    How about painting the awnings to match your home? I personally love awnings, probably because most of them are 40's-60's which is the look I like for my own home. You could really play up this era in a cottage style way. Picket fencing, or you could paint your own fence white - or the color of the body of your home if you want a color fence. How about a screen door insert? http://www.moonshineshades.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

And to go with it, you could grow a period garden.
    I like your window boxes, but they appear to be floating. A few nice evergreen shrubs under there mixed with other plantings (can you make that bed wider? It would look great wider!) would be so pretty.

Grounding the house on the corners would be great to. On one corner you could add a shrub and keep it kind of tall an narrow, some sort of conifer might be nice in your climate. Think about wrapping the other downspout with a vine!
    My front downspout was wrapped (on the front half only) with the small mesh hardware cloth. I painted it to match the downspout. I arched the whole thing so it is about an inch away from the spout, and screwed that to the house using washers so the screw wouldn't pop thru the hole. On this I have climbing bleeding heart vine but any light weight vine will do like a summer blooming clematis (evergreen and fall clematis are way too big for this). This is very cottagey but also easy to remove if you don't want it there anymore.
    How about a nice rose near that vine? An easy carefree bush like the pink knockout rose?

Just a few suggestions. Others will have many more. Many of us have quite similar homes to yours and a garden can really set it off!

GGG

• memo3
    17 years ago

Andi, here are a couple things I notice that you could ponder on. First the blue pots are very pretty and would look nice filled with colorful annuals, but I would get some large clay pots (you could paint them white) and turn them upside down so they sit even with each level of the porch and stairs so that you could set the blue pots on top of them. Lifting them up will give them more status and frame your porch a bit. Second, new awning, maybe, would a good scrub and a coat of paint freshen it? Third, find some inexpensive wooden finials to put on top of each 4x4 post in the fence. It will make it look finished, other wise I think it looks nice. Fourth, I'd paint the house foundation white. Everything else in white looks fresh and crisp but the darker color on the foundation isn't doing it for me, sorry. Your path is great! Fifth, a new porch light in white would be more in keeping with the crisp whiteness of all the other trim.

Looking at your lawn I would guess that where the grass is thick, that is where the sun is peaking under the tree. I would dig those areas up (or lasagna them) to take advantage of the sun that those areas get and use them for flowers. In the areas where the grass is weak due to shade, you need to find a seed mix that is made for shade. Fescue grass grows well in shade and I think it would due well in your area but you should check with your extension office to see if they have a better reccomendation for your area.

Also there are tons and tons of plants for shade besides hosta. Many of the nursery/greenhouse sites list their plants as shade plants and you could begin to browse those sites and look at the pictures of them. If a plant has a cottagey appeal to you, put it on a list. It won't take long before you'll be able to visualize these plants working in the various areas of your yard. There are many here with shady or dappled shade gardens who have acheived a cottage look with shade plants.

I think when you are feeling overwhelmed the best thing to do is to just BEGIN! Tackle one small spot that really bugs you and then move on to the next. It won't take long until you've worked your way around the area and it all will come together. I think you have a darling little cottage house that just needs some very minor tweaking. I hope this helps. Have Fun!

MeMo

• HomeMaker
    17 years ago

I planted your first garden bed, painted the steps out to a more grey tone, added a brick path.

What do you think?

{{gwi:660435}}

• downeastwaves
    17 years ago

Yeah! That is REAL nice!

Leasa

• party_music50
    17 years ago

I looked through your photos and I'm a little confused by the one that says "frontofhouseoriginalwithreddooronly" -- did you really have the cornice and a dormer removed?

I think you've got a cute house and setting! I wouldn't get rid of the maple tree! Your climate is different from mine, but I'd bet you get more benefit from it than not (especially for feeding your compost :).

You said you're changing the paint on the cinderblocks: I'd try grey, if it were mine.

You said you'd like a porch -- but there's the permit problem, etc. What about just installing a nice white railing and handrails for the stairs. That would look very cottagey to me. I'd consider fit though -- if railings would make the space too narrow, I'd try to adjust somehow.

Then I'd consider putting a trellis on the side near the door, with a nice climber (rose, clematis, etc.). Or maybe a large flowering shrub (like a rose of sharon) would fit that space better? It's probably easier for you to tell by how you see/use it -- I'm guessing from some photos. :)

I think the plants you suggested like euonymous, boxwood, and hostas would all grow well in the conditions you describe. I'd consider rhododendrons -- especially dwarf ones, flowering almond, forsythia, etc. My preference is for shrubs that flower or have variegated or colorful foliage -- or different textures/shapes. There are plenty of flowers that you can grow in that spot too! Are you considering only shrubs because of the shade from the maple tree?

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for ideas. I know this is supposed to be fun, but honestly…each year I just stress about it.

debbieca �" Yes…I noticed that, too! I found a Krylon spray paint that I thought about painting my PVC shutters with. What do you think? Should I go with something darker?

girlgroupgirl 8 �" You’re right…architecture. I’d LOVE a gabled roof, but given our neighborhood and the possibility of more children in the house, I’m sort of holding off on anything too big, project wise. Likewise, the houses I like have symmetry (and also more contrast/deeper shades). Since I can’t move the door, I want to try something to the left of the house�"a hedge or lattice with a vine on it or something.

Thanks for telling me about Outwater. I’ve never heard of it but will check it out. Do the stones *look* real up close?

I’d thought about painting the fence last year (or scalloping the edges) but was talked out of it due to maintenance! You sound super handy! I’d never thought to wrap the downspout with a vine. That won’t hurt it? Great idea!

I got rid of that screen door. Now that it’s all glass I can really see the red from the street! (I miss the breeze, though!) It looks so much better.

memo �" I tried scrubbing last year without much luck. Mostly, I don’t like the shape of the awning. I *really* want something with a little gable, but maybe that’s a mistake? Maybe paint is the way to go? Maybe I should just paint them for now since my “do list” is seriously pages long!! I agree with Debbieca that more contrast might be good and since siding is pricey, it might make sense to paint the shutters. (If, in fact, that Krylon PVC paint is any good) What colors would you go for? (BTW, the windowboxes are “in between” seasons and look really good in the summer. I haven’t figured out a winter look yet)

Agreed about the finials! You can’t see it, but we have two round ones on the entrance onto the path. (I should post more)

So…a white foundation? Really? Will white steps be a bear to keep clean?? Tell me more.

Dang�"I just got that light! (It’s a lovely copper) Maybe some day….

If homemaker or others can tell me how to work with those images, I’d gladly play around. Heavens knows I have lists of plants, photos, etc.

homemaker �" That was so sweet of you. I really do need to *see* it. Can you tell me how you did it? As I said, I tried the BBC site, but it didn’t let me upload photos. And Microsoft paint let me insert photos, but not very well. (Ok…it’s not their fault, it’s mine!) I got photoshop, but no luck!

I hadn’t thought about rounding the beds so much. I

I would love some climbing roses�"would LOVE them�"but won’t I need to kill my maple (or seriously cut it) to get sun against that house?

Here are other plants I love--mostly in bright colors--esp cool ones (purple, pink)

Hollyhock
    Fox glove
    Salvia
    Delphinium (but I always kill it)
    Peonies
    Cosmos, daisies, and zinnia
    Ferns
    Hostas �" esp variegated
    Poppies
    Tulips
    catmint

In an ideal world I get things that are easy and dramatic...if that's possible. I also hope for native types. On my list of things to do is a trip to the good nursery here. Maybe they can help.

Keep those ideas coming.

Oh...and vote on the maple. Pull it? Trim it? Leave it?

Thanks!

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

The stones really do look absolutely real! We are considering eventually doing our fireplace with them, since we do not use the fireplace for "real". They also have a fake bamboo, which looks real. I would have put that on my ceiling if they'd had it when I did the ceiling with real bamboo!!

Please do not think I am suggesting a gabled roof. I was merely sighting things you liked about other homes. What I suggest is you find ways to "fake it" that are inexpensive and easily changed in the future. If you really wanted that sort of look, you could put a slim arbor in white over the area that homemaker planted for you in your photos.

Like homemaker says, I like your white, white is always a sort of an American cottagey "color". I would freshen up the shutters and add more white. When you can manage, maybe paint the house darker if you choose. But certainly save that until the house needs it. If you like the color (which is quite nice) then the pale garden Homemaker planted for you will make the color really pop, especially with white shutters.

GGG

• memo3
    17 years ago

White? Well in this part of the country the majority of houses are painted white. I have noted that cinderblock foundations are either left unpainted or they are painted white to match the house. My old house was a very pale stone color and since the previous owner had painted it deep slate blue to match the house we had to paint it pale stone as well. I never cleaned it in the 12 years we lived there. There are differences regionally though so perhaps this seems improper to you? Just trying to make suggestions to get your wheels turning.

MeMo

• madhabitz
    17 years ago

Your house is totally cute. Since the idea of planting your yard as a whole feels overwhelming, I wonder if it would work to just pick one bed to concentrate on for now? Once that's growing, you'll probably get all excited and motivated-- planting the next bed won't seem so traumatic.

Off topic: I'm curious about your posts. Are you specifying/changing the fonts in your posts? Everything with an apostrophe is coming across as nonsensical text, like this: …it’. This kind of thing usually means I don't have the font used on my computer or something-- figure maybe I should get the one you're using to make it easier for me to read. Thanks!

Nancy

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Yes...I am going to just do the front bed by the house as it really needs it! I had *so* wanted a plan...but am so visual yet can't get the hang of these photoshoppy programs! I would LOVE to learn if anyone can teach me!!

Anyway...I was leaning toward shubs due to shade...and also wanting something that will have leaves all year round...at least as the bones or foundation, possibly with leafier/flowering plants in front.

Here are some specific comments/questions, but ya'll may want to jump into all of them.

Thanks!

Memo - Not a critique...just trying to learn the logic...so I can do better next time. :-) I think I was originally thinking of something dark and "grounding" in painting it the blue but it didn't work out as I'd hoped! Would white seem "floaty"? Again, this is why I need to learn photoshop, but oh...I am no good so far!

Partymusic - I'm on it. I have a trellis with Clematis on it. Maybe I should add ivy so there's something there in the fall/winter? I will try to take some newer photos.

As for Fronthouseoriginal...that's not mine, sadly. It's my house, but the little gable/columns were sort of "painted" on in word! They are cute, huh! I am IMG_2295 or scroll down to see better photos without the junky xmas stuff.

What kind of railings do you see? White, I assume...but style? Any photos you can ref for me? Maybe like the Yellow House on my photobucket? The porch IS narrow. Maybe I can cheat codes a bit (but still legallY) by going wider. But...if that's a hassle could I put the railing *outside* of the steps so it's not so claustrophobic?

****What do you all think about covering the concrete steps with wood that I then paint white? Maybe more cottage feel with wood?

Homemaker- Again...teach me how to do the photos! :-) What are you using? Are those white hydrangeas? Don't they die back in the fall/winter?

WOuld it be worth it to try to add a tiny gable like the one on my photobucket page like in Yellow House Door Flush with Tiny Gable?

Can anyone think of a way to integrate another color into my windows? You might see my photobucket page with the Love This Door/Window - would that be a mess or would it help the white/windows pop if I trimed in red to match the door?

Madhabitz- No idea what's happening...on my computer the proof was all good. Now I'm on a diff. computer so we'll see.

Thanks, all. Keep the ideas coming.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

Frequently, magazines like Southern Living and Cottage Living and others, show homes with a dome awning, often of canvas, sometimes of copper or other metal. I always thought they looked quite chic.

Here's what turned up in my first search. Googling for "dome awning" will turn up many, many more at different prices and locations.

Awnings

Ryan Gainey, designer in Atlanta, advised beginning gardeners not to worry so much about design and "Just plant some pretty beds." It's a start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dome Awnings

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Foxesearth - Sure....of course...but there are elements to good and bad design. In fact, the more I drive around the more I notice *bad* design. Given that my home is so humble, I'm really hoping to boost the overall look of the house via great plants!

In the end, I may just go for it--it seemed to work ok in the back, but...

Thanks! :-)

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

andi - Just briefly, please don't do away with the tree, unless it is presenting a foundation or roof problem. We just had to have 2 large pines removed because of ice damage and electrical wires. They provided shade for the bedroom in the summer and were a buffer for winter winds. I laugh because I don't have to deal with the dead needles, and cry because I have to relocate all of my "shady" plants now. The only other trees are 2 willows, which are so god-awful messy, and a choke-cherry in the front yard which is pleasant and the birds like it.

As for being overwhelmed, I too was. Looking at all of the wonderful gardens; after 3 years of hit and miss, I finally faced the fact that most of those gardens that I lusted after were many years in the making and were a joint effort. DH can't help me (physical problems and really doesn't have a clue) and I am finally having to deal with back problems.

How about working from the house, out? That's what I'm doing, as I wanted to create a pretty area around the perimeter, then work from there, when I'm able. Lasagna gardens are a wonder and make life so much easier.

Don't drive yourself crazy. Look at it as a work in progress, always. You will plant, move, redo, trial and error. Just enjoy it.

Carol

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

Try 'pediments' and 'pilasters,' when you're googling for trim ideas.

Have you considered painting your awning? A retro look would be one solid color (maybe the house color) with two contrasting vertical stripes either side of center from house to tip of awning. (About 6-8 inches from the ends.

Have you utilized the services of your Tennessee Extension Service in planning your plantings?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee Extension Service Links

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks foxsearth - I didn't know what those were called. I thought about some of those--or maybe even one column of side lights (if I could afford the labor!).

I'd have to move the awning up as there's not enough clearance at present. Any style you think is best? (Somehow they seem more formal than the house with the exception of the "sunburst" pattern)

I did contact TES for a soil test. Are you thinking of other things? I would love native plants if I could get them. Am going to a good garden center where I hope to get more advice than at HD or Lowe's.

Carol- Yea...I'd hate to get rid of them. One limb does overhang the roof--but at what point that's a problem I'm not sure. Seems very stable, not dead, etc.

Am trying to have fun. Honest. Just no good at it...in part because of physical and monetary limits I'd rather just get it as close to "right" as possible from the outset.

:-)

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just back from nursery. 3 hours and nearly 350 later (good heaven), I have some good *structural* plants (nothing showy or flowery...just basics...but it looks loads better. (You can't tell from the photos, but I've staggered the boxwoods.) Am lacing up my boots now in hopes to get into the yard and start digging!

I'm not sure what's going to go just to the right of the step...and am trying to envision new stairs...was pondering doing something wood that we paint white...w/ cute railing or lattice to say "entry way". For now, I put a trellis there (although lopsided). So...I'm not sure how far out to put the "cone" boxwoods. I got two for balance.

And, I'd planned to curve the bed, but now I'm not so sure since that may make it "tilt" to the right....unless I did a curve on the left...which maybe I could.

I need to move that salvia (poor thing)

I'll eventually dig up all the liarope in the front and clump it together in a more meaningful way. I wanted to get some plum yew for the great texture around the camellia, but...they were $45 each. But...something for texture around the camellia.

What do you think? Does the placement look right?

I think on the far right I want to put a few knockout roses from the back yard that are far away and neglected...an.

One new trick will be having *any* consistency with the new "rock" welcome garden which is just to the left of the sidewalk. It used to be a peagravel driveway that got
    covered over. It's deep, deep and I realize that I can't dig it out. So...I will amend as I can, but think I'm going for "rock garden" look - maybe some yucca, lambs ear, phlox, vinca, and cone flower or daisy. All that's good in summer, but don't know what bones it will have or how I can get consistency. Any ideas? That area gets full sun, but the new bed in front is all shade!!

Am thinking of colors for consistency. I know nandina can work in both areas but I don't really like it.

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:660411}}

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

front door view

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here you go!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:660415}}

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

I've been out measuring boxwoods with my little pipestick. They need to be AT LEAST 3 feet from the house and AT LEAST 2 feet from the edge of the porch. They WILL grow and you'll be pruning, pruning pruning to keep them off the house, no matter how small they look NOW.

Go back and review what GirlGroupGirl said about grounding on the corners. Did you say you have a camellia? Give it ample room to grow.

You've waited four years -- give yourself time now to get it all right. They'll wait in the buckets; don't forget to water.

• andi956
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes....yes...of course, you're right foxsearth. The little boxwoods are 2.5' from the house and about that far apart (ok...maybe 2 feet). I do hope to keep them in the ball shape a bit.

As for the cone shaped ones, I've got conflicting info. The tag says they retain present shape with *occasional* pruning. However, the Monrovia site says:

Vigorous growing boxwood when young. Dense upright form with bright green leaves that retain their color through winter. Natural cone-shaped form if left unsheared, excellent hedge. Evergreen. Full to partial sun. Moderate grower to 5 feet tall, 3 feet wide. Cutting grown.

Hmmm....that does change things. I think I am going to need to come out further from the steps not just in width but in depth, too.

I'm working from the middle out because I want the camellia to be centered with the house center.

Oh...as for grounding...yes...I do want something on the end, but I drive a Honda and couldn't fit it. So...for now, I'm looking at something small in front of where it will go. (So...maybe a conifer or holly on the corner, but with the knockout roses in front).

What do you think?

Maybe those conical shrubs should go back? Will redo and try to upload another photo later! thanks

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay. Life happened. At any rate, I'm going to try to attach a link or two. We planted w plenty of space between plants and I got white plant stands (too high??) as someone suggested. Still, things don't look "right." I am going to paint the porch cover to see if a whiter white helps, but the big thing is the base color.

I *cannot* seem to work photoshop.
    Can anyone suggest a color and rationale?

Try to match the siding?
    White?
    Sand?
    Dark green?

I spent nearly 2 hours at Home D today and nearly went mad.

Also, I am still unsure about a porch. I don't know if I can attach more than one photo, but I'll try. If not, you can see some samples at my photobucket page:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/andi956/

We **won't** use a porch so to save money (and since we might move in a few years), I was thinking of something small.

There's also the issue of the door being on the far left. We'd discussed putting up some lattice or something to visually center the door. yes or no? Other ideas?

Would a porch just make it seem more lopsided?

I haven't wanted to paint the fence white for fear of upkeep but maybe that would help. Does anyone want to chime in? And, if you have a fence, how often do you have to paint? Maybe I should splurge on white picket? Or, just take out every other board?

Anyone out there with Photshop advice??? I was using the "paint" function in WORD, but that doesn't quite do it.

Thanks!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:660418}}

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

trying again...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:660421}}

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a cute house about the same size as mine.

This is where the idea of lattice came in, but I'm not sure we'd want to invest in the roofing of it either combo would help since this door was balanced to begin with whereas mine is flush left.

Thoughts?

Also, I love this door covering. I *really* want a tiny gable! But, I am thinking a little porch...well, mostly just want to cover up the concrete with some wood decking and maybe a railing to add impact.

Right now our awning is too low to do a sidelight of any kind. Handyman said we could move the door a few inches (10?) to the right but that starts eating into where the furniture goes. We could do a sidelight to the right for a bit more impact.

Reactions? Am I nuts? (Or, how do I learn to love my house?)

Will post another "idea photo" in a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:660424}}

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We don't have the height, but here's what I'm thinking:

wood, painted white for more "cottage" effect--along with some kind of lattice or railing along the sides or the "porch".

We could come out a bit more without requiring a codes petition which might be nice as you have to step back just a wee bit when you open the front door.

Could also go a bit wider.

Think this would be a better option than just a covering?

Or, maybe we switch out the awning to wood and see how that works?

Arghhhh
    What make this house so cute?

Maybe I should try to change out my windows instead???

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:660428}}

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Andi ~ You are doing great so far, inside and out. Projects take awhile to come together sometimes. It's like starting with a blank canvas, or a blank page and you have to brush on the first dab of paint or write the first word. Once you get going though the creative juices start to flow. Your cottage is very nice and you've done a lot of work with it. I think you are off to a fine start with your gardening. It does take time for things to settle in and grow, so just be patient and have fun while you wait.

Love your path also.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the color name and brand of paint you used for your kitchen? We also have our refrigerator in a cubby and it is so nice. DH also put a drawer that pulls out over it where I keep cereals, wraps and dried fruit.

Do keep posting pictures inside and out of your lovely cottage.

FlowerLady

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're sweet, FlowerLady.
    any thoughts on porch, lattice to the side, etc?

As for paint, I can tell you it's "ralph lauren" as we've got the can. Took it to HD today to try to get it matched, but no luck. It is sort of "cool" - not really sagey. That doesn't help much. It's about 4 years old if paint is released in years, maybe HD could tell you?

Sorry!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    16 years ago

Your plantings look very neat and attractive. Your house is pretty, despite your dislike of the placement of the door and the necessary awning.

If I were making a change for you, I'd place those flower stands on the ground in the little niche in the corners where the steps join the porch and see how that looked. It would be less crowded getting in the front door and might or might not look 'right' -- I'd have to try it, anyway.

Instead of trying to improvise a makeshift gable/lattice/something, I'd look ahead to the time when the roof will need replacing and save toward not only replacing the shingles, but while they're up there, have the overhang extended and your tiny gable placed. We're talking structural changes, very pricey to do but much more affordable if done in conjunction with something you MUST do, like a new roof. A gable has to be tied into the roof, doesn't just sit on top, so the labor cost is essentially the same for a tiny one as a huge one. (Takes as much time to saw and place a short board as a long one.)

Oh, the cream colored house. What makes it so attractive to me is the color and that multipaned door. A pretty door draws the eye. I believe that house has more mature plantings, too. That's going to be the bigger improvement to your place, when everything gains some size.

Nell

• memo3
    16 years ago

I think I know what it is about the awning...its narrower than the porch stoop! What if you just changed the awning out for one a with a more updated style? Attached is a link for some that might give you some ideas.

I love the trellis you chose as well as the little plant stands. Is there a way you could mount the trellis on the left side of the porch? Perhaps with a wider awning you could put up some 4x4 posts in the ground and then tuck the top ends of them up under the awning. That would give you a surface to mount the trellis to. I think it would help to make the stoop look more like a porch and it also wouldn't have that drastic drop off that could be dangerous. It would look really cute with a climbing rose growing up the trellis. Hope that helps with some new ideas.

PS...your plantings look great!

MeMo

Here is a link that might be useful: Canvas Awnings

• Sally "Cricket" Benfer
    16 years ago

what I'm hearing is that your overwhelmed and don't know where to start. A garden takes time to evolve. Invaribly you will plant things you love and hate and love but hate where they are. I've been in my house for 4 years, and I still have a long way to go. The first year I had lots of soldiers in rows! I find things I love one year I hate the next and they get moved. Mistakes (throwing a flat of salvia in one bunch becauase I was too tired turned out fantastic!) I've managed to kill lots of plant too. Need to get that chipper shredder! My advise is to GO and stop obsessing. This is a great experiment you will fall in love with. You have the eye based on your picture posted above. Good luck and enjoy.

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I appreciate your wisdom. :-)

Even though I may have sounded nuts (and I was!), I realize "Rome wasn't built in a day." I'm glad I've gotten to the plantings this year and think they will help a bit in time. Heaven knows that's the truth for the house--there was *nothing* here when I bought 4 years ago. So, it's come a *long* way.

But, I'm a school teacher and during Aug-May I have *no* time. Honestly-none. So, I do what I can in the summer (although we have work on prep and admin. now).

While I enjoy the product of gardening/interior design, I enjoy process less--esp in the garden where it is physically hard for me to work (due to an injury that makes walking/digging painful). Soooo...I'll admit I'm looking for something that works the first time, if possible. That said, I'm not beyond moving things if I have to and next year will move 2 laurels--somewhere--as they don't work where they are. And, I do enjoy it at its core.

All this reminds me of the "what I learned from gardening" thread. I do need to learn patience and to enjoy the modest things that the garden brings. :-)

So, resalesally--you are right that I should just "go" and stop obsessing. HA! :-)

Nell- Thanks for your comments, too. It is a great door that they have. (Wonder if I might be too lazy to clean those panes?? Hmmm....)

Memo- Thanks for the awning suggestion. Trouble is, I just don't like awnings. I know I'm getting away from the authenticity of the house a bit...but based on my completely crude "paint" experiments in WORD, thing something raised a bit will help give me what I'm looking for.

But...you might be right about the awning being so tiny compared to the stoop. (Man, I have *got* to learn photoshop to test your theory out.)

As for the lattice...so you're saying to post it in the ground *perpendicular* to the stoop? Is that right? Hmmm...possibly. Hadn't thought of that.

What do you think about covering the concrete w/ wood and a railing and giving the house a more "cottage" feel?

EVERYONE - Paint trim vote for the bottom of the house??

Thanks, ya'll! Keep those ideas coming.

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I appreciate your wisdom. :-)

Even though I may have sounded nuts (and I was!), I realize "Rome wasn't built in a day." I'm glad I've gotten to the plantings this year and think they will help a bit in time. Heaven knows that's the truth for the house--there was *nothing* here when I bought 4 years ago. So, it's come a *long* way.

But, I'm a school teacher and during Aug-May I have *no* time. Honestly-none. So, I do what I can in the summer (although we have work on prep and admin. now).

While I enjoy the product of gardening/interior design, I enjoy process less--esp in the garden where it is physically hard for me to work (due to an injury that makes walking/digging painful). Soooo...I'll admit I'm looking for something that works the first time, if possible. That said, I'm not beyond moving things if I have to and next year will move 2 laurels--somewhere--as they don't work where they are. And, I do enjoy it at its core.

All this reminds me of the "what I learned from gardening" thread. I do need to learn patience and to enjoy the modest things that the garden brings. :-)

So, resalesally--you are right that I should just "go" and stop obsessing. HA! :-)

Nell- Thanks for your comments, too. It is a great door that they have. (Wonder if I might be too lazy to clean those panes?? Hmmm....)

Memo- Thanks for the awning suggestion. Trouble is, I just don't like awnings. I know I'm getting away from the authenticity of the house a bit...but based on my completely crude "paint" experiments in WORD, thing something raised a bit will help give me what I'm looking for.

But...you might be right about the awning being so tiny compared to the stoop. (Man, I have *got* to learn photoshop to test your theory out.)

As for the lattice...so you're saying to post it in the ground *perpendicular* to the stoop? Is that right? Hmmm...possibly. Hadn't thought of that.

What do you think about covering the concrete w/ wood and a railing and giving the house a more "cottage" feel?

EVERYONE - Paint trim vote for the bottom of the house??

Thanks, ya'll! Keep those ideas coming.

Sponsored